• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First Glog - 2015

Hello world:

My name is Nick.  I am from Indiana, about half way between Ft. Wayne and South Bend.

My screen name stems from my background in automotive hobbies.  I am married with cats and am lucky enough to have a wife that loves hot peppers.  I am a mechanical engineer by degree and own a photography business on the side.

I spent last year stalking this forum and decided to post my grow this year.

Last year we grew:

Ancho
Long slim red cayenne
Hungarian wax
Caribbean red hot
Ghosts
Reapers

Our favorites were the red hots and the reapers.  They seemed to have the most fruity pepper flavor to compliment the heat.   

On 02.22.15 we planted a Burpee 72 count starter tray we found on sale.  Here is the layout with the cover removed.  Top of the table is the back row.

PepperTray1022115_zps8369b687.jpg

peppertable_zps88370397.jpg

The bold entries were saved form last year.  I left the seeds in a east facing window too long, hopefully the sun didn't cook them. 

I had reapers, red hots, scorpions, ghosts, habeneros and jalapenos drying in separate containers when the cat decided to make a harvest mix for us.  I might need help identifying any sprouts.

The mix consists of anaheim, ancho, long slim red cayenne, jalapeno and hungarian wax.

The planter is in a south facing window.  The temperature averages 65 degrees in that part of my poorly insulated house.  I think I should invest in a heating mat.  Suggestions?  Should I keep it on 24-7 or put it on a timer?

Many thanks for all of the info. on this forum!

What a humbling experience.  I just ate the top slice of one of the Red Morugas.  The first 10 seconds was like chewing on a citrus peel followed by two minutes of tears.  There is something to be said for garden fresh.  

AD2A1EAC-B65D-4B5F-A18C-FA14EC1A636C_zpseckfwtbq.jpg

gotta love it ! i picked me off a muncher ( m.scorp.) the other day while picking pods . figured wasn't worth the trouble of saving .  Bam that little sh!t  packed a punch !   nice looking pods !   :onfire:

Back