• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics First Harvest Pics...

Kinda boring but I'm pretty proud, just jalapenos for now. I have some orange habs and caribbean reds that are starting to turn, when they do I will post them in here. My tabasco and serranos are a few weeks farther behind. :cool:

7-30-08FirstHarvest.jpg

Its kinda nice to have these with the salmonella scare. ;)

nice Japs calor...all my japs seem kinda small this year...don't know why yet but I will eventually figure it out..the plants are nice and healthy, just the fruit is small...

AlabamaJack said:
nice Japs calor...all my japs seem kinda small this year...don't know why yet but I will eventually figure it out..the plants are nice and healthy, just the fruit is small...

Yeah me too...wierd! Some are my Jals are just slightly starting to cork at a size much smaller than normal.

Those that I picked there are in an average of 4 inches long and about 1 across. Should make good poppers!

*update*

Here are some orange habs, tobasco's, and at the bottom Caribbean Reds. The Caribbean Reds are gonna be scarce, but I should have more pics of the habaneros to come, there are several on the few plants I have. :P

firstharvestaug1st.jpg

AlabamaJack said:

where would you find information about that Alabama J ?

have any ideas yet on why ?

CaLoR said:
Here are some orange habs, tobasco's, and at the bottom Caribbean Reds. The Caribbean Reds are gonna be scarce, but I should have more pics of the habaneros to come, there are several on the few plants I have. :P

you know, it may be just me but when you take a bite out of those tabascos, they will bite you back pretty harshly and quickly but it doesn't last that long...I love their burn....

have you tasted the Caribbeans yet?

Hotpeppa said:
where would you find information about that Alabama J ?

have any ideas yet on why ?

I don't think it is the soil because I have my Japs in two different kinds of soil...

It could be another growth hormone that specifically controls fruit growth/size...I am just now starting to get into the depths of plant physiology and growth...there are several members here that are doing close to the same thing..

It could be that the Japs require a different mix of nutrients than what I am using...it seems all of my peppers are on the smallish side this year...then again, it could be the dry heat we are having...it was over 100F something like 25 days in July...

As far as where to find it, I depend on the universities botanical departments...I just try and find a contact I can develop a friendship with and ask questions...Masters and Doctorate research is a fantastic source of information...and I don't mind paying for a paper if it is "good stuff" ... and then my old standby Googlin' it...

Some good looking peppers.I`m still waiting also on my habs to change.Kinda getting a hankering for 1.Japs at the stores around here are scarce.Wish I had of grown some.

CaLoR said:
Kinda boring but I'm pretty proud, just jalapenos for now. I have some orange habs and caribbean reds that are starting to turn, when they do I will post them in here. My tabasco and serranos are a few weeks farther behind. :cool:

7-30-08FirstHarvest.jpg

Its kinda nice to have these with the salmonella scare. ;)

Jalapenos never boring...visions of good eating. They look good. I was worried we wouldn't have any so I kept finding more, now we have a row of 12 plants...that makes me happy..jalapeno heaven.

Jackie

AlabamaJack said:
you know, it may be just me but when you take a bite out of those tabascos, they will bite you back pretty harshly and quickly but it doesn't last that long...I love their burn....

have you tasted the Caribbeans yet?

I have tried the tabascos and I agree with you, for a little guy, they got a good little bite to them. I think they would be pretty good in some pico de gallo along with the japs.

Funny you should ask about the Reds, thats todays tester. I wanted to try one last night, but I was busy with other stuff. I'll get back to you on it later on after I try one. :):mouthonfire:

CaLoR said:
I have tried the tabascos and I agree with you, for a little guy, they got a good little bite to them. I think they would be pretty good in some pico de gallo along with the japs.

Funny you should ask about the Reds, thats todays tester. I wanted to try one last night, but I was busy with other stuff. I'll get back to you on it later on after I try one. :):mouthonfire:

cool...:cool:

AlabamaJack said:

The Red was Habanero hot no doubt, but its lingering around a little longer than one. Was kinda sweet in my mouth, until I swallowed it then the burn just stayed in my mouth vs. going down my throat like a hab seems to do me.

One other thing, as of right now, I dont feel it sitting in my gut like with a habanero, so thats good. I dont like that feeling that a little bomb is sitting in my stomach. :lol:

:mouthonfire:

Wow - a plate full of omnicolored pods! Looks great. Only two of mine were ready for harvest today, so I decided not to pick any, I'm sure there'll be a couple more ripe pods tomorrow.

Back