• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

First Jolokia Plant

Hello all, it has been a long time since I posted. Thanks to a lot of your help I had a pretty good time growing several plants. However, I got some seeds for Bhut Jolokia that didn't work out so well...out of the 20 seeds only one plant grew. The one that did was really stunted and only had 4 leaves for about 4 weeks. I finally pinched off a couple leaves to stress it into growing and that worked. My cursed little plant has 7 pods growing on it, all of which I watch obsessively. It's not easy to care for with the weather we have had in New England this summer. I had a lot of flower drop because of rain and cold temperatures.

I have the Plant back indoors now, but I am wondering if anyone has advice on the best time to pick the Pod's? I have heard that some folks pick when they are bright orange, and others when they are darker red. This is my first time with this plant so I thought I would post up again and see if anyone had any suggestions. At this point it would seem silly to not try to get the most out of it. Thanks in advance!

Jolokia.jpg

ive been noticing alot of people will pick them at various stages, different heat and taste possibly, i like to wait till fully riped personal preferenc i imagine. oh yeah nice pods!

they will ocntinue to ripen off the plant...when I harvest, I pick the ripe ones and ones that are almost ripe...it is daunting to see a pile of Bhuts that have several different colors happening at the same time...

Back