• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

First LED Build

grispa72 said:
So both hydroponic and dirt. Any differences?
Well, they are both basically hydro since the "soil" you see is Pro Mix and has no nutrients in it. The rockwool cubes with clay pebbles are definitely outperforming the Pro Mix plants though, with the same nutrients.

Let's Try said:
Well, they are both basically hydro since the "soil" you see is Pro Mix and has no nutrients in it. The rockwool cubes with clay pebbles are definitely outperforming the Pro Mix plants though, with the same nutrients.

Coming back to this always great thread.

I am also experimenting with ProMix and at THIS very point I can't say anything yet about the "performance" of Promix (the Plagron one, unfertilized) compared to a real hydro setup.

WHAT struck me however is that Promix, out of the bag doesn't contain perlite. It's basically peat and it holds moisture A LONG time compared to whateever hydro (or Perlite/Vermiculite) which basically is a balance between fast drainage and water retention.

I immediately mixed my two 50L bags of Promix with 20% Perlite to increase its drainage ability.

One of my thoughts is that Promix (as it comes right out the bag) MIGHT not seem to perform as well since it holds water with the nutrients longer, and therefore you water and give nutes (and oxygen!) less frequent. Obviously, in a hydro setup you water and give nutrients MUCH more often, and in an automated hydro setup with drip irrigation or whatever hydro systems exists, like Ebb/Flow etc. you basically constantly supply nutes AND oxygen....so it's logical that the plants grow faster. (Faster drainage --> more watering/nutrients/oxygen ---> better growth)

I am not sure yet whether I will put my seedlings later in Perlite/Vermiculite (4:1) again or in Promix (w/ Perlite). The performance might be about the same. That being said I actually start to like Promix MUCH better than any "prefertilzed" potting mix, it gives me much more control. (Unlike prefertilized potting mixes where the ph is often too high etc...)

Since In my particular situation a "real" Hydro setup is not practicable (it is too hot for a nutrient solution in a tank, besides I would have problems needing to exchange a 125L tank every week or two), Promix sort-of allows a semi/pseudo manual hydro system where you can use hydroponic nutrients..without the disadvantages of an actual hydro system...without the risk for algae etc.

flexy123 said:

Coming back to this always great thread.

I am also experimenting with ProMix and at THIS very point I can't say anything yet about the "performance" of Promix (the Plagron one, unfertilized) compared to a real hydro setup.

WHAT struck me however is that Promix, out of the bag doesn't contain perlite. It's basically peat and it holds moisture A LONG time compared to whateever hydro (or Perlite/Vermiculite) which basically is a balance between fast drainage and water retention.

I immediately mixed my two 50L bags of Promix with 20% Perlite to increase its drainage ability.

One of my thoughts is that Promix (as it comes right out the bag) MIGHT not seem to perform as well since it holds water with the nutrients longer, and therefore you water and give nutes (and oxygen!) less frequent. Obviously, in a hydro setup you water and give nutrients MUCH more often, and in an automated hydro setup with drip irrigation or whatever hydro systems exists, like Ebb/Flow etc. you basically constantly supply nutes AND oxygen....so it's logical that the plants grow faster. (Faster drainage --> more watering/nutrients/oxygen ---> better growth)

I am not sure yet whether I will put my seedlings later in Perlite/Vermiculite (4:1) again or in Promix (w/ Perlite). The performance might be about the same. That being said I actually start to like Promix MUCH better than any "prefertilzed" potting mix, it gives me much more control. (Unlike prefertilized potting mixes where the ph is often too high etc...)

Since In my particular situation a "real" Hydro setup is not practicable (it is too hot for a nutrient solution in a tank, besides I would have problems needing to exchange a 125L tank every week or two), Promix sort-of allows a semi/pseudo manual hydro system where you can use hydroponic nutrients..without the disadvantages of an actual hydro system...without the risk for algae etc.

Good points here.

The Promix I'm using is Promix BX, which does contain some perlite, though I did the same thing you did and added more. I have 6 plants in DWC buckets right now and the rest are in Promix in smart pots, being fed by me manually. The plants I have in DWC buckets have definitely outgrown the ones I have in fabric pots, but the ones in fabric pots have started producing fruit faster. I have quite a few little reapers on their way under my LEDs.

V5fk3qj.jpg

MVZwpp4.jpg

DLWfQbU.jpg

I planted way too much seedlings earlier this year, now I have about 30, just Jalepenos and Serranos, in addition to my 15 or so plants from last year :) (90% of them survived, so they're actually growing peppers right now again...earlier this year I actually thought they'd be dead)

I decided I will make a manual hydro system again, no Promix, but Perlite/Vermiculite (4:1) and a small internal/external reservoir. Aka "Hempy buckets" but for peppers :) It's possible that the other "Promix" is slightly different to the one I have (Plagron), but it should be essentially the same looking at the description.

Otherwise I still have my bar with the 4x CREE 3590, but in time wished I had a setup like you with 4 separate lights. Way more flexible!
Don't know how often I already thought about cutting my bar and separate the lights :)

flexy123 said:
I planted way too much seedlings earlier this year, now I have about 30, just Jalepenos and Serranos, in addition to my 15 or so plants from last year :) (90% of them survived, so they're actually growing peppers right now again...earlier this year I actually thought they'd be dead)

I decided I will make a manual hydro system again, no Promix, but Perlite/Vermiculite (4:1) and a small internal/external reservoir. Aka "Hempy buckets" but for peppers :) It's possible that the other "Promix" is slightly different to the one I have (Plagron), but it should be essentially the same looking at the description.

Otherwise I still have my bar with the 4x CREE 3590, but in time wished I had a setup like you with 4 separate lights. Way more flexible!
Don't know how often I already thought about cutting my bar and separate the lights :)

thats why i like pc coolers too

you shoudl just cut ur bar- better spread even if used in a single area

Ok I am REALLY running out of space in my current growing area, 16+ plants in a 2x4 == lol, WAY too many...
I need to expand to at least 4x4 which fortunately I can easily do, the greenhouse is big enough.

Reading and calculating to my delight that FOUR COBs would actually be sufficient for 4x4

At 1400mA each == 329 PPFD
At 1750mA each == 398 PPFD, so anywhere 1500mA++ (even 1400mA) should be fine.

Trying to find some more cheap heatsinks.....or maybe a way to re-use/mod my two existing Marshydro lights. I know there are PLENTY of DIY instructions on this out there, just being really lazy and want the easiest solution with the least necessary parts...

flexy123 said:
Ok I am REALLY running out of space in my current growing area, 16+ plants in a 2x4 == lol, WAY too many...
I need to expand to at least 4x4 which fortunately I can easily do, the greenhouse is big enough.

Reading and calculating to my delight that FOUR COBs would actually be sufficient for 4x4

At 1400mA each == 329 PPFD
At 1750mA each == 398 PPFD, so anywhere 1500mA++ (even 1400mA) should be fine.

Trying to find some more cheap heatsinks.....or maybe a way to re-use/mod my two existing Marshydro lights. I know there are PLENTY of DIY instructions on this out there, just being really lazy and want the easiest solution with the least necessary parts...

so really u just need to increase spread

step 1) start by removing the glass lenses
not good enough?

saw the heatsink in half( 2 cobs per bar)

not good enough saw agian

i wouldnt start remounting the cobs pita just cut up the sink u are  using and rewire as needed

honestly withough the lenses i think u will be fine anyway

you driving your CXBs at the full 1400mA, and at what distance do you have your lights?

re: expanding my grow area to 1.20 x 1.10m, I am looking into a second bar and will convert my current 4x into 2x bars with 3 COBs each.
So I will end up with 2x 3xCXB3590. (The two bars will be connected parallel to my 1750mA driver, the bars itself have the LEDs in series).

This will result in each COB running at 875mA (half of the 1750mA), would be perfect since it would give me about 400 PPFD. Right now I am running them at about 1000mA or something. Ah yeah, they started to fruit :) Growing like crazy in my Hempy buckets.

I am excited since the 3500K lights should show their full potential with flowering/fruiting. And I can also compare them to those I grow outside in the scorching sun :) So far, the greenhouse/LED peppers have FAR outgrown my other peppers in size already...

Back