• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting first non-ferment! Caribbean red hots + chocolate habs + mango

so i'm a big fan of mango... tried my hand at a non-fermented sauce today and used lime juice and rice vinegar for the acidity.

stuck with my general ratio for ingredients, but removed seeds/membranes from half of the peppers... it's still pretty darn hot. i can definitely taste the sweetness better in the non-fermented sauce. it's a different sauce altogether, but a nice change from the ferments.

i put half of the following ingredients under the broiler to get some roasted flavor.

250g mostly caribbean red hot with 8 or so chocolate habs, seeds removed from half of the peppers to reduce heat (didn't work that well)
2 mangos
1 sweet onion
1 head garlic
3 carrots
1.5 cups rice vinegar
1.5 cups lime juice
~0.25 cups water
1 T salt

all the ingredients:
SAM_0063.JPG

the non-roasted portion:
SAM_0065.JPG

the roasted goods:
SAM_0066.JPG

my trusty hot sauce making assistant:
SAM_0068.JPG

finished product:
SAM_0069.JPG

Good looking sauce hb, might want to give it a week or 2 to get all happy with itself and then give it a try. You'll find it's a different character than when you bottled it.

Good looking assistant there too, what is he?

RocketMan said:
Good looking sauce hb, might want to give it a week or 2 to get all happy with itself and then give it a try. You'll find it's a different character than when you bottled it.

Good looking assistant there too, what is he?

thanks RM, i'm looking forward to seeing how the taste changes over time. it tastes a little 'raw' compared to a fermented one right out of the gates.

she is Kona, a 5-yr old australian shepherd.

Just beautiful! At this point in my sauce making, I really like roasting. Good advice giving it 2 weeks for the flavors to marry. I hope you report back then with an update.

hoibot said:
so i'm a big fan of mango... tried my hand at a non-fermented sauce today and used lime juice and rice vinegar for the acidity.

stuck with my general ratio for ingredients, but removed seeds/membranes from half of the peppers... it's still pretty darn hot. i can definitely taste the sweetness better in the non-fermented sauce. it's a different sauce altogether, but a nice change from the ferments.

i put half of the following ingredients under the broiler to get some roasted flavor.

250g mostly caribbean red hot with 8 or so chocolate habs, seeds removed from half of the peppers to reduce heat (didn't work that well)
2 mangos
1 sweet onion
1 head garlic
3 carrots
1.5 cups rice vinegar
1.5 cups lime juice
~0.25 cups water
1 T salt

all the ingredients:
SAM_0063.JPG

the non-roasted portion:
SAM_0065.JPG

the roasted goods:
SAM_0066.JPG

my trusty hot sauce making assistant:
SAM_0068.JPG

finished product:
SAM_0069.JPG
Looks great, after roasting did you boil mixture at all? 

tctenten said:
Looks great, after roasting did you boil mixture at all? 

yes, after roasting, all ingredients were added to the pot, boiled covered for 20 mins, pureed, boiled covered for 15 mins, pureed a second time, boiled covered for 15 minutes, and then bottled, holding the temp near 195.

Back