• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

First pepper has begun...

The flower part blew off in a windstorm, but it looks like my very first pepper ever is starting to form in the center there. My serranos are the only other ones even thinking about putting out flowers so far, but those are just barely starting to form... I really need to get an earlier start next year.

first-purp-pepper.jpg

Anyway, no real point to this post, but it's big for me =]

Congrats,
I started my seedlings in April, 3 Jalapenos and 2 Serrano's. So far every single flower has dropped because of the heat. They are in pots on my balcony. I can't wait for my first pod.

Congrats for you first pepper and may you have many many many more.

Try doing a fermentation on the later ones when you get tired of eating them. I really like the fermented peppers salsa. They taste a lot better after they are fermented. You can add ketchup or tomatoes or carrots to them if they are too hot for you.

Good Luck

Congrats for you first pepper and may you have many many many more.

Try doing a fermentation on the later ones when you get tired of eating them. I really like the fermented peppers salsa. They taste a lot better after they are fermented. You can add ketchup or tomatoes or carrots to them if they are too hot for you.
My current kick is poppers. Or at least a variation of them, not sure if there's an official "popper recipe". Slice em in half, throw some hamburger in, top it with cheese, wrap it in bacon. It's like sex for your mouth but with a better aftertaste.

Of course I'm currently limited by whatever the grocery store has in stock, which is disappointing at best. I'm lucky when I can find serranos and in all my purchases I've only had a single jalapeno that had any respectable heat.

Has anybody eaten one of these fluorescent purple peppers? I'm not sure if that's their actual name or just a descriptive name for sale. They're listed as ornamental but the description said they had a decent heat. They definitely seem to be quicker producers than anything else I've got, and if every one of the flower buds forming on them turns into a pepper I'll be swimming in peppers before my superhots go inside for the winter, pepperless and unloved.

Congrats,
I started my seedlings in April, 3 Jalapenos and 2 Serrano's. So far every single flower has dropped because of the heat. They are in pots on my balcony. I can't wait for my first pod.
Thanks. Mine got started in May.

Have you tried a partial shade covering to keep your flowers from dropping?

Thanks. Mine got started in May.

Have you tried a partial shade covering to keep your flowers from dropping?

No, I'm pretty sure my Homeowners Association won't allow it. Too many rules on what one can have on the balcony. That's also why I'm limited to only growing a few plants. :mope:
Thanks for the suggestion anyways.

Homeowners Association won't allow it.
Ugh, devils they are.

Well, you could go over the list of allowed objects, then place one that would provide shade near your plants.

Make your balcony look ugly in order to get around rules intended to keep balconies looking nice....

I realize there's no single answer for this, but roughly how long does it take from pollination to get-in-my-stomach-ination? Is there even a consistent range, or is it completely random?

I've seen a few threads where fully grown peppers haven't ripened for a month... How long did those peppers take from flowering to full grown? Am I doomed to be sitting in my lawn, crying in my underpants, while eating unripe half-formed peppers in the frost? It's already starting to cool off around here. Not 'cold', of course, but enough to let me know that summer has peaked. First frost is anywhere from 3-8 weeks away.

I understand it can be difficult to get peppers to start indoors but if I bring them inside as late as possible, will the ones that have already begun finish growing? Or will they likely drop due to diminished light levels?

I realize there's no single answer for this, but roughly how long does it take from pollination to get-in-my-stomach-ination? Is there even a consistent range, or is it completely random?

I've seen a few threads where fully grown peppers haven't ripened for a month... How long did those peppers take from flowering to full grown? Am I doomed to be sitting in my lawn, crying in my underpants, while eating unripe half-formed peppers in the frost? It's already starting to cool off around here. Not 'cold', of course, but enough to let me know that summer has peaked. First frost is anywhere from 3-8 weeks away.

I understand it can be difficult to get peppers to start indoors but if I bring them inside as late as possible, will the ones that have already begun finish growing? Or will they likely drop due to diminished light levels?

usually they ripen faster when it gets really cold

The flower part blew off in a windstorm, but it looks like my very first pepper ever is starting to form in the center there. My serranos are the only other ones even thinking about putting out flowers so far, but those are just barely starting to form... I really need to get an earlier start next year.

first-purp-pepper.jpg

Anyway, no real point to this post, but it's big for me =]

What's funny is just how amazed I get when a plant does what it is supposed to do. Like "Wow! Look what I did!" Put a seed in dirt, a little time passes and "OMG! There's leaves coming out of the ground!" Some weeks later "OMG! Look there's a pod there!" Few weeks later "OMG It's changing color!" Then "Good Lord, that is hot!"

I hope that never gets old. :)

Does anybody have any idea what's causing the new growth to look like this?

purp-leaves.jpg

The rest of the plant looks more or less fine, but all the new batches of leaves look kinda wilty and misshapen. I'd ignore it if it were just the one shoot, but it's all the new ones.

What's funny is just how amazed I get when a plant does what it is supposed to do. Like "Wow! Look what I did!" Put a seed in dirt, a little time passes and "OMG! There's leaves coming out of the ground!" Some weeks later "OMG! Look there's a pod there!" Few weeks later "OMG It's changing color!" Then "Good Lord, that is hot!"

I hope that never gets old. :)
Same. I've started all plant-related sentences to my fiance with "I realize you don't care, but..." but I feel the urge to tell somebody.

Congrats on your first pods...

My superhots have tons of pods but none are ripening I hope I have enough time in the season left....

Does anybody have any idea what's causing the new growth to look like this?

The rest of the plant looks more or less fine, but all the new batches of leaves look kinda wilty and misshapen. I'd ignore it if it were just the one shoot, but it's all the new ones.

Hoping someone else will chime in, but new growth on my plants looks like that, too. Until I hear otherwise, I'm thinking it is normal, and the leaves will flatten out as they grow.

Back