• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

First Pod Size and DNA

Have always noticed first pods have a tendency to be smaller and sometimes funkier.  This year, started indoors much earlier than previous years.  Plants were much more developed.  At transplant, many had flowers and some had pods already.  Still had some of the small and even funky pods, but many more full size normal pods have developed at the time when other years would have been small n funky.  I have always thought the first wave of pods being smaller was just sort of normal due to the size of the plants.  Now, I wonder if there isn't also some dna at work.

Do you suppose some strains might have a genetic trait for normal size pods despite plant size?

IMO plant size does not dictate pod size. i.e you can get really big/full sized pods on small plants, even if its the plants first time producing.
I think small pods has more to do with temperature, light and if the plant is getting the nutes it needs

Nzvchili, do you think transition from one light cycle / temp (inside) to another (outside) might have something to do with it?

i have experienced the opposite, first peppers were huge(first 4 and they had huge seed sacks/deposits) and now they are small, these are thick cayenne peppers. Im assuming this is due to container size, mine are 3 gallons.

ajdrew said:
Nzvchili, do you think transition from one light cycle / temp (inside) to another (outside) might have something to do with it?
i think that the time when pepper plants are generally young (early season) also coincides with when the temps are still colder.  most people start their seeds early when its colder. so I think when first pods come its often still a little cold for full sizes pods.
from my observations i feel young and old plants pods both change in size, accordingly, with the temps

I wonder if maybe colder temps do not signal the plant to hurry up and make viable seeds, thus resulting in smaller pods. Hmmmmm....

Back