• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

First Ripe Bhut Jolokia of 2009

AlabamaJack said:
one of the guys is the type that says "you can't make it too hot for me"...we will just see how hot he really likes things...

I love showing those people what's up and putting them in their place.

OK....was looking for somewhere to post this pic and couldn't find a better place...

Here are my Bhut Jolokias...I have about 9 or 10 plants. This is a PRF Bhut Jolokia I am standing behind...and there are two behind me that are dang near as big...

080509a005.jpg

My family can walk outside and not see me behind my pepper forest. One of my taller plants is also my Bhut Jolokia. Great looking row of ghost chili appreciate the credit my friend. The fall harvest of those plants will look like the pic from NMSU. Enjoy the fruits, still wanting to hear what you thing of the 7 heat.:mouthonfire:

Thought you were au natural there for a moment AJ--scared the crap out of me.

Look at the size of that row of BJ's, unbelievable. Man you have the touch.

Almost thought u were streaking in your garden. :lol:

Btw, great plants and peppers as usual! Wish I could do 1/8 as good as you.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
My family can walk outside and not see me behind my pepper forest. One of my taller plants is also my Bhut Jolokia. Great looking row of ghost chili appreciate the credit my friend. The fall harvest of those plants will look like the pic from NMSU. Enjoy the fruits, still wanting to hear what you thing of the 7 heat.:mouthonfire:

Thanks Cappy...I sure hope I have a good fall with these plants...they are loaded with flowers but will just have to grow and wait until September when the weather cools...

I have tasted both mine and your brain strain Cappy...Hard to tell which is hotter...of course, that is what I would expect from a strain of 7....

patrick said:
Thought you were au natural there for a moment AJ--scared the crap out of me.

Look at the size of that row of BJ's, unbelievable. Man you have the touch.

thought about streakin' but hate getting grass on my.....golf ball...

Philipperv said:
Almost thought u were streaking in your garden. :lol:

Btw, great plants and peppers as usual! Wish I could do 1/8 as good as you.

Thanks Phil...the naga seeds I got from you last year did really well and were big plants too...they are about 6" behind the Bhuts....but they get 9 hours direct sun from 8-5 during the hottest part of the day and the bhuts get about 6 hours from 8 - 2. I am remembering now that the plants against my west fence grew and produced the best last year...next year, I will grow the same variety in full sun and next to the fence to see which ones grow better (my moneys on the fence)...

do your plants just continue to grow ?

isnt there a point where they just stop and focus on pods ?

how do you keep them growing like that ?

AlabamaJack said:
OK....was looking for somewhere to post this pic and couldn't find a better place...

Here are my Bhut Jolokias...I have about 9 or 10 plants. This is a PRF Bhut Jolokia I am standing behind...and there are two behind me that are dang near as big...

080509a005.jpg

looks like someone busted you taking a leak in the shrubs.LOL:lol:

Hotpeppa said:
do your plants just continue to grow ?

isnt there a point where they just stop and focus on pods ?

how do you keep them growing like that ?

I think they keep on growing because of the hot hot weather we have here in July/August when they don't set fruit and their energy is put into vegetative growth...they won't start mass producing pods for about another month when the weather cools down...from my growing experience here in North Texas, if you can just keep your plants alive in the hot part of the summer, they will produce well in the fall...

ebk637 said:
looks like someone busted you taking a leak in the shrubs.LOL:lol:

that was earlier... ;)

millworkman said:
AJ, man life is good, you should smile more.

I had just gotten home from work and not wound down yet...honestly, I do smile a lot...

Pretty hedge row of heat AJ. Any of your blooms setting pods now?

It look as if the late blight/heat is hitting your maters pretty hard.

AlabamaJack said:
well, the scorpion sampling was pretty intense...totally different burn...very harsh, almost hurting type pain but not too intense to take...immediate...not delayed like the Bhut...made my tongue feel like a blacktop road in July...sweating under the eyes...on brow...eyes watering...nose running...burn in the top of the gut...those were some of the symptoms :lol:

from todays sampling, I have to say the Bhut is hotter...now, those were the first good pods off both plants...heat will probably vary as the season goes on...should get hotter if anything...

hey AJ I just ate my first trini of the year and the heat from it was as you said painful. I dont think the peppers in comparison differ in heat much but the typ of heat is totally different. I am totally impressed with the trini tho. just dont lake the flavor

Silver_Surfer said:
Pretty hedge row of heat AJ. Any of your blooms setting pods now?

It look as if the late blight/heat is hitting your maters pretty hard.

thanks SS...yup...was looking yesterday and got a few pods setting now...I am figuring we only have about 2 weeks of this extreme heat left this year...I really don't think it was as hot this year as last...you can't see from the photos, but when you look at the row of Bhuts/Dorsets and then look to the left to see the Nagas/Bihs...there must be 10,000 flowers...

Talljess said:
hey AJ I just ate my first trini of the year and the heat from it was as you said painful. I dont think the peppers in comparison differ in heat much but the type of heat is totally different. I am totally impressed with the trini tho. just dont like the flavor

TJ...I agree with you but the jury is still out on the flavor...still trying to understand it...it is definitely different than the 7 pots

Back