• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First serious grow

Tried growing last year but it was pretty disastrous, I think I had numerous deficiencies as well as bacterial spot, possibly mites, and a bunch of other problems.  I didn't take a particularly methodical approach and didn't document anything so this time I'm going to try and take pics on a regular basis and pay attention to what's going on.

This year I'm looking at:
  • Fatalii
  • Grenada Seasoning
  • Sugar Rush (an Aji I think?)
  • Aji lemon drop
  • Congo Black
  • Mulato Isleno
  • Aleppo
  • Pasilla
  • Shishito
Started germination on 12/28 using paper towels in baggies with water and a tiny bit of 3% peroxide.   Only saw a couple tails on the Sugar Rush but went ahead and transferred all of them (today 1/9) to a 72-cell flat with peat/vermiculite/perlite mix sitting on a heat mat with a humidity dome.

Welcome to THP.

A very interesting and unusual grow list as well.

Are these all peppers you have tried and liked well enough to grow or just varieties you have come across and thought you would try?

CAPCOM said:
Welcome to THP.

A very interesting and unusual grow list as well.

Are these all peppers you have tried and liked well enough to grow or just varieties you have come across and thought you would try?

More the latter to be honest - wanted to grow some interesting varieties and my selection is loosely based on 'what's your favorite hot pepper' threads  :rolleyes:  

just like me, how most i carefull u are, most plague appears hahaha now i have learn the lesson, just drop the pods on the grownd and wait hahaha

CAPCOM said:
As good as any way to start.
What have you found that you do like from personal experience so far?

I think I like seasoning peppers (the Grenada I'll be growing for instance) for their tropical fruitiness.  I like the raisin flavor of (dried) pasilla peppers.  And I had a jar of Urfa Bieber pepper flakes which I really enjoyed but since I used all my seeds last season without anything to show for it I'm trying out the Aleppo seeds on the off-chance there's some similarity.  Beyond that I'm not entirely sure though.  No idea on how to use the Fatalii or other very hot peppers - luckily I'm sure there are some ideas on this site.

I was hoping not to have to confess this for a bit, but truth be told while I like moderately spicy food (7 at Thai restaurants, raw jalapenos on bahn mi sandwiches, etc. is basically my limit) I'm not an extreme spice chaser, so I'll need to figure out how to tone down some of the spice in the hotter varieties I'm growing to really enjoy the peppers.  I may even try to reverse some of the tricks I've heard of (not watering before harvest to increase capsaicin?) to see if I can slightly milder results.

You should be happy with Fatalii and Aleppo.  Two peppers on opposite ends of the heat scale, although Fatalii is not Super Hot.  Aleppo is good for flakes, or eating straight from the plant.  Welcome, hope this year is better for you.

Then fatalii is a good choice for the reason that there is a subtle raisin taste in them which is probably why I dislike them.

Back