smokers First Smoker

The WSM is a good setup but you can build the same type of smoker yourself for less than $300.  I was lucky when I built mine, my brother-in-law has a welder so I was able to go a little nuts on it but you don't have to have a welder to build one.  Here is a couple of pic's for you and I can get you the web address where you can find the plans to build it if you want.

UDS - Ugly Drum Smoker

Inside the smoker

Fire/Charcoal Basket

samcanadian said:
That's actually not too bad looking, LowDrag.  I wonder how it holds heat compared to a WSM

Thanks Sam,

I can keep it in the 225°F-250°F range very easily.  I have had some spikes that have reached 300°F a couple of times.  In the dead of winter I would have to wrap it in a welders blanket or equivalent to keep the heat up in the BBQ range.  I think that would have to be done on any upright type cooker anyway from what I have heard from others that use them.  I like my UDS, it does the job real nice.  I have done a whole brisket and several pork shoulders on it and they turn out perfect every time.  This summer I am going to do some A.B.T.'s on it.  I bet there are some people asking what is an A.B.T. is right about now, well, I will post a pic for everyone to see.

Okay...dinner is over.  Here is how you put these beauties together.

Jalapeno's
Little Smokey sausages
Philadelphia Cream Cheese
Sweet onion
Bacon

• Cut the Jalapeno's in half, remove the stem, seeds and pith (I think that is what it is called)
  •  
  • Finely dice the sweet onion and mix with the cream cheese
  •  
  • Fill one half of the Jalapeno with the cream cheese/sweet onion mix (I put the mixture in a zip lock bag and tear off one corner and squeeze the mixture into the Jalapeno like a cake decorator decorates a cake)
  •  
  • Place the Little Smokey in the other half of the Jalapeno then put the two halves back together like a sandwich
  •  
  • Wrap the Jalapeno with the slice of bacon and pin with a tooth pick to keep the bacon in place

Put all of the A.B.T.'s you have made on a smoker at about 225°F +/- a little bit and smoke until the bacon is cooked.  Pull off the smoker and enjoy.

I made these with Habanero's for a buddy of mine that says he can eat anything hot.  He ate three of them and loved them.

Back