• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting First time fermentation

I am planning on doing a hot pepper mash fermentation adding some pineapple and a few other things my question is do i need to add 6-10% of the total organic matter weight or just the weight of the peppers? Also do i loosely cover it immediately or let it sit open for a bit as i do not have a starter? How long do i ferment it for? I've seen everything from a few weeks to a year as well as in a cupboard, on a counter and in the fridge? Its just going to be a small batch at first. Will freezing peppers i am not going to use affect the flavor later on?

Scorpion_fataliity said:
No more mold yet. It seems to be going good most fermentation activity seems to have stopped it went a few days producing large amounts of bubbles with all peppers floating at the top. Now however it seems to have slowed down with all peppers sinking to the bottom of the jar. Its still got a citrusy smell along with something a little different i cant put my finger on. Thanks for all the info!

The 'rise and fall' of ingredients is common; the co2 builds and 'floats' everything higher up and then as it is released the solids settle back down to the bottom.  That citrus smell is likely your ingredients, while the "can't put yer finger on it" is likely the active fermentation going on.  Updates and pics of the process would be great. :)

matew90 said:
you left very little room for fermentation expansion, or you are making a bomb hahaha :) kidding,,nice work :)
Haha. On Sunday I made a mash of criolla sella, aji yellows, banana peppers, carrots, garlic. and  salt 6% -7% And a TBL of pickle brine (homemade ferment). I left at least 1 inch headspace  and the liquid in the mash has already pushed up into the shaft of the airlock on day 3. Uh Oh, hope she don't blow!

Back