• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

First Time Grower Advice

Ive got a small plastic greenhouse with ( from left to right) cherry tomato, naga jolokia (the pc-1 not hot version as I recently found out!) and habanero. Ive come accross a few issues and don't really know what if anything is wrong:

Is the greenhouse now too crowded?

The habanero top leaves are curling up, I've noticed three aphids on them so I sprayed the lot with washing up liquid a few nights ago. The habanero leaves also seem furry underneath?

My pc-1 has got some damaged leaves with I think has come from over-feeding, I was using MG all-purpose but now I use Tomorite as fruit has started to grow.

I know this is s pepper forum but I also have noticed almost dusty white patches on my tomato plant?

I would be glad of some advice :)

photo-3.jpg

photo-8.jpg

photo-7.jpg

photo-4.jpg

photo-6.jpg

photo-5.jpg

pictures? How large is the greenhouse? Once you take care of the aphids the hab should be fine. White patches sound like fungus to me >>> check this page out and see if any of it looks familiar<<< http://organic-vegetable-garden-guide.com/control-tomato-fungus

I don't do tomatoes too much, but do you have a fan in your green house to move the air around the plants? High humidity, dampness and stagnant air can lead to big problems down the road. Either use a fan or make sure the greenhouse is opened to move the air around by the wind.

Also, don't water the plant from over the top-----> water the soil around the plant base to minimize the amount of water present on the plant itself and to prevent splashing which can lead to bacterial and fungal disease.

It's been very wet recently so ive been closing the greenhouse for long periods which has probably put the humidity through the roof...

whats the temp like there?
still getting rain?
If the weather is good there, I would get them out of the greenhouse in some filtered sunlight and space them out.

All in all they look pretty good....i'd cut off those tomato leaves and discard them....then sterilize your scissors (or fingers) I also would probably get rid of the lower tiers of leaves on your peppers....they will more than likely drop anyway.

At the moment the temp is ranging between 12-17c. Plenty of rain at the moment but I'm trying to leave the greenhouse open as the rain doesn't seem to be coming in in any case.

I've pulled the tomato leaves off and sprayed them with a milk/water solution.

What do you think about the furry and curling up habanero leaves? Is it neccesary to pull the bottom leaves off both plants? They look healthy on the Hab.

53 to 63 F....damn, where do you live bud?

I've pulled the tomato leaves off and sprayed them with a milk/water solution.

--->what does the milk and water do?

What does the new growth look like on the plant? It isnt necessary to pull off the hab leaves, but usually ones close to the soil catch splashin from the soil when watering and often become rough looking and the plant will "drop em" ----I usually just take care of it so the plant isn't wasting energy feeding those leaves. You said furry, I can't see fur. But I would go buy an all purpose fungicide or a 3 in one type spray to take care of aphids, bacteria, and fungi and spray the foliage well.

If worse comes to worse, you can cut the top part of the hab off. It will slow the overall growth of the plant, but it definitely won't kill it.

Definately need circulation in you greenhouse.

Kill the aphids and the habs should be fine.

As for the mildew, heres some info.
From wikipedia:

Powdery mildew is a fungal disease that affects a wide range of plants. Powdery mildew diseases are caused by many different species of fungi in the order Erysiphales. It is one of the easier diseases to spot, as its symptoms are quite distinctive. Infected plants display white powdery spots on the leaves and stems. The lower leaves are the most affected, but the mildew can appear on any above-ground part of the plant. As the disease progresses, the spots get larger and denser as large numbers of asexual spores are formed, and the mildew may spread up and down the length of the plant. Powdery mildew grows well in environments with high humidity and moderate temperatures.[sup][1][/sup] In an agricultural setting, the pathogen can be controlled using chemical methods, genetic resistance, and careful farming methods. It is important to be aware of powdery mildew and its management as the resulting disease can significantly reduce crop yields.[sup][2][/sup]

Although powdery mildew is unattractive, it is rarely fatal. However it does stress the plant and severe or repetitive infections will weaken the plant. If enough of the leaf surface becomes covered with powdery mildew, photosynthesis is impaired. Infected leaves often fall prematurely. This can be a particular problem on edible crops, since insufficient photosynthesis can diminish the flavor of the fruit or vegetable. If buds become infected, they may not open and mature at all.

A clear day with high temperatures can kill the mildew.

My shipment from CCN came in and some of them looked a little worse for wear...aphids, yellowed new growth, curled leaf edges, burned tips....so you're not the only one with peppers issues my friend. Gonna have to watch these 7 pots and Trinidad scorps---transplanting is stressful enough without all of the above issues.

Don't get me wrong, I'll definitely be a CCN purchaser again, but these plants need some TLC for a little while. Doses them with fish and kelp emulsion 3 days ago and they are about to get compost tea today...heard the tea really reduces transplant shock.

50/50 water and H202 aka hydrogen peroxide.. I had powdery mildew on some seedlings a while back and used h202 and all I needed was 1 application and better airflow.

I recommend the 3% stuff that you find in the first aid section of your local drug store for super cheap.

Back