• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First time grower!

a40e92eaeabeedb45894be08d8f0387f.jpg

b7615bfdb0ddfbc0c8c75572218a989c.jpg

My first little set up. I have a heat mat below set at 79*F. Just put the seed in there yesterday so I'm hoping it germinates. I used miracle grow potting mix and keep it moist and the greenhouse effect. Ive never grown anything and i really want to start this off right so please let me know if i am doing anything wrong!

Im a new grower too...i started with the miracle grow potting mix and found that it was very easy to over water...just watch for that. I watered too much but the soil stayed very saturated.

My alternatives are Fox Farm seed starter and i also use miracle grow but added an even amount of perlite to lighten it up. Good luck!

Ya i found that out the hard way too. lol Luckily I just let it go for a few days to dry out. I got a couple sprouts now so I lucked out. I just used the Miracle Grow, but if I put any in their own pots, i'm definitely going to do a mix of soils. :) Trying to figure out how to upload images into my own gallery right now. I need to know when to prune!

66d52170777242c437fdfe437026a069.jpg

I don't know why I can do that on my iphone but not my computer....

Anelson870 said:
 I need to know when to prune!

Never...  Let em grow.

Some people will "top" their plants to keep them a bit shorter but then the grow out wide.  There are a few reasons to do this.  I personally choose not to.

re-pot often.  The first one shouldnt occur until at least 4 leaves from what I understand and then into a solo cup or something else small.  Then keep moving them up.  Bigger the pot, bigger the plant.  Im in 7 gallon "pots" now and should have done it 3-4 months ago.

See I'm trying to keep them short. I plan on leaving them in there. I have more germinating under neath that I will have to buy buckets for. I wasn't expecting the second plant honestly. I think a seed fell out and I got lucky. lol I have a jalapeno plant in there as well and room for MAYBE one more plant. I'll have to see if there's room for the roots. That's why I asked. The ones i'm going to put in buckets I will let grow and find another way to light. Am I wrong? I've never grown anything myself so i'm learning as I go.

09f69a0d3f6b9478654a1c12f633e871.jpg

What im working with. The terrarium is 20"x10"x20" tall.

Anelson870 said:

See I'm trying to keep them short. I plan on leaving them in there. I have more germinating under neath that I will have to buy buckets for. I wasn't expecting the second plant honestly. I think a seed fell out and I got lucky. lol I have a jalapeno plant in there as well and room for MAYBE one more plant. I'll have to see if there's room for the roots. That's why I asked. The ones i'm going to put in buckets I will let grow and find another way to light. Am I wrong? I've never grown anything myself so i'm learning as I go.

09f69a0d3f6b9478654a1c12f633e871.jpg

What im working with. The terrarium is 20"x10"x20" tall.

LOL

You aint going to leave them in there.  MAYBE 1 plant, if you filled the thing full of soil.

This is a 3x5 tent and thats only 4 plants in it, and they are small.  I have room for maybe 4 more full size plants.  This is just for keeping them alive over winter.

rjacobs said:

LOL

You aint going to leave them in there.  MAYBE 1 plant, if you filled the thing full of soil.

This is a 3x5 tent and thats only 4 plants in it, and they are small.  I have room for maybe 4 more full size plants.  This is just for keeping them alive over winter.

In another 6 weeks you have no room for any plants as is.  With that monster led you have running, they will not stop there!  #niceproblemstohave

Not sure I have much room for something more than that! I'd like to get where I have around 4 plants total. Starting small. lol I like that greenhouse though! Did you make it? Got any specs on it? I have a place I could probably put that once I get my plants big enough.

I would get those plants out of the MG as quick as possible. Especially the Bhut. Or you will end of with a huge healthy green plant and 0 pods. Trust me I learned my lesson about MG and its abundance of Nitrogen. And if your using MG nutrients to then don't hope for any pods. And you will end up overwatering as MG does not drain well.

Ok thanks. What do you use? Just soil from outside?
be68a5d176d287152cdb787975154506.jpg
as you can see ill need to transplant soon. Any help is much appreciated. Also, how many plants could you put in a homer bucket set up? These are for me and a few friends so i am only wanting like 2 plants of each variety.

Anelson870 said:
That was how they sprouted but i know i need to get closer. There is a heat mat under the soil though
If they've all popped, turn off the heat mat. Once they're going, the excess heat isn't doing anything for them and room temp is fine.

Back