• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

First time growing anything

It's been 10 years or more since I've tried planting anything. I read an article describing some less common peppers, and I decided to try it out.

February 22 I ordered some Trinidad Perfume and Bishop's Crown from The Chile Man in australia, and some sweet datils and St. Lucia Seasonings from Reimer. I wanted to do some Honduran Wilds, which are my fav, but couldn't find seeds.

March 7 I planted the TP and BCs and called Reimer to ask how they got trumped by an Aussie.

March 12 a couple of the BCs had sprouted and I planted the SL and SD.

April 7 All but one of the Bishop's Crown and all of the Trinidad Perfume have sprouted and most of them have their first true leaves. Only about 8% of the Sweet Datils are sprouted and the St. Lucia Seasonings are only sprouting mold. Little bummed.

My first question is that looking through some grow logs, my sprouts are paler and leggier than everyone else's. Something tells me I can fix that.
Secondly, I'm moving from Arkansas to Arizona next month, about 7 weeks. Tips or advice on moving the plants?

welcom to the south im in TN close u will be .... now about moving ur plants just make sure to keep em away from wind and getting too cold thats all what u should worru about

Welcome to THP.

It sounds like you need more light for your sprouts, and also make sure that you are not over watering them. Peppers hate wet feet.

As for moving them, How long of a haul is it going to be for you? They could be packed into a sturdy box (as long as they wouldn't move around) and when you are at your destination, unpack them ASAP and get them to light. They should be okay.

Light is something I can get a lot of. Can I start taking them outside for a few hours, or is it too early?

I think that as long as it's not windy and you don't put them in direst sunlight right away and it's not too cool or too hot, you could probably place them out. But, to be safe, I would let them get bigger (thicker stems and more leaves) before placing them out. However, I have no experience with growing in your zone so this is all an educated guess.

Vespucci said:
Light is something I can get a lot of. Can I start taking them outside for a few hours, or is it too early?

Do a google search for "hardening off". You cant just set plants that were started indoors out into direct sunlight or they will get shocked and wilt. Gotta do it gradually. Like couple hours of filtered sunlight 1st day, more the 2nd day, 3rd day few hours of direct light then shade, etc til they quit wilting in the sun. Usually only takes a few days.

Best of luck!

Thanks folks.

I found myself an apartment complex just outside of phoenix. They gave me the option of a south facing patio/balcony or a north facing one. My initial response was to ask for the south facing, more light for the plants. The apartment manager brought up a good point that there are orange trees and oleanders doing quite well in the shade of the buildings on the north side, whereas there's not even dirt growing on the south facing side. (really, it's sterile)

My work hours probably will not be conducive to watering these guys thoroughly every day, since they'll be in pots, so I opted for the north facing patio. Thoughts? It's not too late for me to change it. (plus my cooling bill will be a bit lower)

Vespucci said:
Thanks folks.

I found myself an apartment complex just outside of phoenix. They gave me the option of a south facing patio/balcony or a north facing one. My initial response was to ask for the south facing, more light for the plants. The apartment manager brought up a good point that there are orange trees and oleanders doing quite well in the shade of the buildings on the north side, whereas there's not even dirt growing on the south facing side. (really, it's sterile)

My work hours probably will not be conducive to watering these guys thoroughly every day, since they'll be in pots, so I opted for the north facing patio. Thoughts? It's not too late for me to change it. (plus my cooling bill will be a bit lower)

South side would be better for plants, but who knows? Maybe make friends with a neighbor across the hall! Sounds like the north side has its perks.

yea if work and watering arent on the same schedule then a bit of shade may be to your benefit. but hearing about the sterile south facing side would have gotten me to make the same decision as you.

Today is the 3rd day of putting my kids out for a few hours. They wilted a little yesterday afternoon so i brought them back in overnight.

I'm thinking not too bad for a total noob. The lighter green on the bottom are Trinidad Perfumes. The darker green are the Bishop's Crown. My St. Lucia's are, all 4 of them, are under 1/4". Still no datils. Stinking Reemer's.

Image023.jpg

Image024.jpg

Image025.jpg

Looking great man, especially for a noob! Chiles are really fun to grow. First year from seed here as well, and I've discovered they're actually relatively easy and forgiving plants. You should have a great season.

Good luck

Wow your plants look nice. I have several about the same size that I just got in the mail. I have been keeping them inside and just proping the door to the balcony on my bedroom so they can get some sunlight and putting them under CFL's for about 6 hours a day. I thought they where too small to go outside, but I may just put them on the patio in a spot that only get about an hour of late sun a day. Do you leave them out all day or just an hour the first day, 2 hours the next and gradually move them out all the time. I live in So cal not too far from the beach so it never gets too hot and it's actually a bit cold the last week.

Dude, I don't know a damned thing about growing peppers. I do know that the overnight lows this week have been in the 68-74 range, it's been mostly overcast, and relative humidity has been >90%. It's more greenhouselike outside than it is in my saranwrap covered window box. They just did so well the first time, I only bring them in when they look sad.

Grrr . . . I let some of them get too dry and they're looking very wilted. I watered them. Hopefully they'll perk up over night.

Vespucci said:
Grrr . . . I let some of them get too dry and they're looking very wilted. I watered them. Hopefully they'll perk up over night.

Yea I wouldn't worry too much I am sure they will bounce back. In a sense it is good though. Now you know how far you can push them.

Back