• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

First time growing outdoors (IL): HELP!

Try germinating bananas. It will make germinating stubborn pepper seeds seem like a walk in the park! Can you imagine 3-12 MONTHS?

They are trying my patience!

Mike

Update!

Hey there everyone. Lot's has happened since, so I figured an update was just about due! Well, the seedling flat is now in my rubbermaide grow box, on a reptile heat mat ran by a Herpstat proportional thermostat. This will keep my temperature within +/- 0.9*F :lol: possiably a bit overkill...but I had one lying around, so why the heck not! :crazy: Temperature is kept at 90*

I also fashioned a three bulb reflector out of an aluminum banquet pan top. Odd, I know, but I have them lying around the house, since my dad gets them free form the company that he works at :cool: It actually turned out MUCH better than I had expected. If anyone is interested, I can make a tutorial on the reflector and/or the box. It's not a bother, so honestly, feel free to ask. It wont take long, and I love helping out when I can. :)

Extra info: watered via mister with RO water. (reverse osmosis) no nutes, no superthrive. The soil is Fox Farm; always had good luck with this brand. Light schedule is 18/6.

Lets get to the pics!

0212001142b.jpg

0212001143.jpg

0212001144.jpg

0217001403.jpg

0217001404.jpg

0217001404a.jpg

0217001416a.jpg

If you noticed some white spots on a few plants, I believe that it is from burning them a little with the light being too close. oopsie!

Let me know what you think!

Pita

Update: Moved a bunch of the larger seedlings into solos!

0227001743a.jpg

There is actually no yellow on them, the camera distorted that a bit. :onfire:

Dont you just love solo cups? I think they could support the plants until they are 6-8" tall? Thats my goal anyways, hopefully by then they can go outside into larger pots.

Some edges of some leaves look like they shrivled and dried out a bit. :/ idk what its from. (prior to transplant)

Pita...if you look on the hosting site, the pics can be autosized when you load them before posting...

I am using photobucket and have mine set to 640X480

your seedlings look good from what I can see on my crappy monitor...one comment about the temperture though...it may be a little warm for the seedlings...I try and keep mine bout 80 after germination

Matt50680 said:
Dont you just love solo cups? I think they could support the plants until they are 6-8" tall?

I grow in solos to 6" all the time, they work great. I did pot some up a little earlier this year...they were only about 30% root bound in the solo cups and could have easily grown another few inches.

Nice lookin' plants PITA.

Back