• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

First time growing peppers. Have a few questions

I tried doing a quick search and couldn't really come up with what I was looking for. I got a few plants from a buddy that I had given seeds to last year and he has them in two medium size pots which have the drain on the bottom. One plant is a bhut and the other is a trinidad. I do not have a garden and plan to keep them in the pots. My question is should I put them outside during the days (it's in the mid 80's during the days and low 70's at night with about 70% humidity) and bring them in at night? Also with watering do I just wait until the top soil is dry then water the pots until it starts to spill out the bottom?

Here is a picture of them

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86759503@N08/9073223660

If they are harden off, IMO leave them out. thats where they want to be, only if harden off. If not, harden off for a week or so, then leave out. As for watering, from what I have learned, your plants will tell you when they want water. Then water till it comes out the bottom. just my 2 cents, i'm still learning also. Happy growing;)

If the plants are hardened off, just leave em outside, unless it's really hot around 100F+ or really cold in the 30's or colder. You should water when the plants show signs of wilting or when the pots feel light , when you pick them up

Hey DET,

I know I ma new to the forums, however in my experience with pots (assuming your plants are hardened off and established plants not seedlings) leaving them outside full time in that weather will do nothing but good for them.  Not only the pure sunlight which is always nice (and easier to get full sun when outside not contained in a window) but the wind and elements will provide your plants with a stronger stem which leads to a stronger plant and yet again more potential for more peppers.

That being said if you have the space inside I WOULD bring them inside if they are calling for rain, it's much easier to control watering when mother nature can't interfere. 

As far as watering the easiest thing to do is let the plants tell you when they need water, peppers are extremely vocal for plants, when they need water they will droop and look like they want it, at that point I water until it comes out the drainage holes.  Especially with super hots always error on the side of drought as the common school of thought is that making your plants thirsty will produce hotter peppers.

-Steve

i am going to like prehensile's answer...just watch, click!

my conditions are far worse than yours(mid 80's during the days and low 70's at night with about 70% humidity) i would dream on those conditions. right now, i can't put my plants out at night but they are in a greenhouse but come july and aug they are outside 24/7, unless a severe storm is brewing, then in the greenhouse they go.

my only recommendation is......get them into a bigger pot! those home depot pails are kind of cool.

good luck and if you feel any worries, bring them inside, you can't go wrong. i watch our weather channel daily to decide on my actions.

Thanks everyone for all of your helpful advice! I appreciate it.

now for the pot size, your saying it would be best to put the small plant in the larger 5 gallon put pails?

You will be surprised how much root will be there, plus, repotting stresses them, so the sooner in the season the better.
Though, by the size of those plants, you may not get much off them this year.
Not to worry. Next year, if properly overwintered, they will be ready to go and will likely outproduce any seedlings you plant.
And yes, they like to droop before a dousing.
Except not for sun droop, which will occur during the heat of the day.

My potted plants seem to love my prepped areas of ground, Granted I mix mulch, compost and cooked soil in with the regular Florida sandy soil, 2 tah 3 weeks after the transplant they just take off.  The pain is all the invasive grasses that like my soil prep as well.....Bigger pots is the way to go.

Back