• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

first time growing: trinidad scropions

Wow, your plants look great!

I just ordered a variety of different pepper plants 6-8" tall, considering I started my seedlings way too late.
A 6-8" plant usually takes 2-3 months to grow correct? Considering mine are only MAYBE 2" now and it took almost 1 month to get there.

Depends on the pepper species...I'd say that a little over 2 months is pretty accurate in terms of a chinense species getting to around 6 inches tall (I planted my chinenses roughly 40 days ago and they are between 2 and 3.5 inches tall). The Anaheims and Cayennes (annuum species) that I planted at the same time are more than twice that size though...they are currently averaging between 7 and 9 inches tall now (picture below).

05-11-12.jpg

Have to consider a few things though, if your plants get plenty of light they won't grow as tall but will be rather low and bushy, on the other hand if light is scarce they'll be taller but that doesn't mean you're making progress, the bushy plant is likely to be more mature ...

^ Agree with Johnaton. My chinenses aren't very tall, but they are broad and "bushy" since they are getting adequate lighting from the fluorescent lights.

Have to consider a few things though, if your plants get plenty of light they won't grow as tall but will be rather low and bushy, on the other hand if light is scarce they'll be taller but that doesn't mean you're making progress, the bushy plant is likely to be more mature ...

+1
But also if your lights ( like me ) arnt strong enough will lead to bushyness. My 8 week old morouga is 2.5 inches tall with 6 sets of leaves. its outside now so it should grow taller.

Very nice looking grow man.

I do have a question though.
Has anyone told you that having fans blow on the plants at this earlier stage will help them have stronger stalks. Less chance of them breaking once they are out in the garden.
i didnt put fans on any of my plants at all. and now some are supported by sticks. ive since decided to cut them back a bit so they will hopefully get a little stronger.
Just curious is all.
does this strain not really need the fans?

Very nice looking grow man.

I do have a question though.
Has anyone told you that having fans blow on the plants at this earlier stage will help them have stronger stalks. Less chance of them breaking once they are out in the garden.
i didnt put fans on any of my plants at all. and now some are supported by sticks. ive since decided to cut them back a bit so they will hopefully get a little stronger.
Just curious is all.
does this strain not really need the fans?

From what I heard it does kinda help having the fans blow on them, so when they go outside they can handle the wind a little better.
But I'm still a noob so I could be wrong.

Here's the current progress on the butch t's:
photo31.jpg

and here are the new guys:
photo30.jpg

i hear yah man. Im pretty new to all this as well.
I got a bunch that i planted and have not put a fan on them ever. Or have they had alot of breeze of any kind around them. And some of them have what i would call week stems.. others seem like they will be pretty good.
All of them have had sunlight from when they got the 1st set of leaves.
And only whatever sun came through the window.
im still not sure on the fan thing. maybe i'll give it a shot next year.

I've actually had a fan blowing on my hot peppers for a couple weeks now...I moved the plants out from under the fluorescent lights outside into my greenhouse about 2 weeks ago so they could get used to sunlight. The main reason I have a fan blowing on them is to help the moisture in the soil evaporate faster, since I watered them pretty heavily last time. It actually does appear to make the stems more sturdy in my opinion. Here's a picture of my current setup:

05-16-12027.jpg

Experiments have been performed with plants grown on shaker tables v. plants with no agitation. Plants on shaker tables develop more secondary cell walls/thicker secondary cell walls and thus more strength. Secondary cell wall is composed mostly of cellulose, so more of it present would result in tissue closer to woody as opposed to herbaceous. The shaker table was meant to simulate wind's effect on plants.

Cfls need to be as close as possible. Or to far they loose their lumens

If it doesnt burn you it wont burn your plants. I use nylar.

Also i stick a few cfl 6500k 45w+ on each plant after a week old.

2+ years growing with cfls

Back