• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First Time Indoor Grow

I started my first attempt at indoor growing starting around July or August this year, starting with seeds from Sandia Seed - Tombstone Ghost Chili's, Trinidad Moruga Scorpions, and Carolina Reapers. I started all on a rack using a heated seed starter pad set to 75°F, under two sets of Ecolux T5 bulbs in generic shop light housings in some organic seed starter soil mix.

I'm using a cheap 8x4x8 tent space, with approximately half of it devoted to these peppers, and the other half devoted to super sweet 100 cherry tomato plants. The lights are generic "800W" LED lights, one per side of the tent. I have two stationary fans, one located near a fresh air intake, one located at the top of the tent. I have CO2 feeding for 1200ppm automated for fifteen minutes early in the morning, with an exhaust fan timed to run fours hours after the feed ends until it is time for the next feed, with the feeder located centrally at the top of the tent.

Seeds were transplanted directly to the tent in approximately mid-September. As a newb to indoor growing, and trying to shop locally, I ended up getting Fox Farm's Ocean Forest soil to try to be organic. I also picked up their Big Bloom organic fertilizer just in case.

After transplanting several times into bigger pots, I finally settled on the sizes that I have now, although I'd like to switch all pots up to the largest size I have, which were leftover tree pots from the local shop. Anyways, plants were growing steadily and quite happily with just the lighting and air flow. I started adding fertilizer, less frequently than directed, and figuring out how to time CO2 feeding efficiently. The plants were really picking up and taking off, tons of flowers, branches, etc. I tried topping all plants relatively early, and they all seemed to respond well. I've been pretty abusive thus far, to be honest, and keep all detritus and weak growth removed.

Frost came early, and this is a new home to me. Despite my space being insulated, it was not insulated enough to keep temperatures from staying in the 60's, and eventually into the 50's. The plants were stunted for a month.

I rushed to find a heating solution, attempting heat lamps to start with, but these proved insufficient to raise the temperature by more than 3°F. I gave up mid October and bought an electric, oil based radiator with a set temp range of 65-80 and an energy saving mode. I initially ramped the temperature up to a constant 75°F, and removed all previous flowers (which were in abundance). The plants have taken well to the temperature, and I have recently switched to 80°F during the day, 65°F during the night. Throughout the grow so far, the humidity has remained 50-70% usually, though sometimes dipping down into the 35% range.

Here are the plants as they are today, the 5th of December.

Well, just an update from the garden. I figured I'd include a pic of all the pepper plants, but not the whole garden. The way that these peppers have been growing outdoors, makes me wish I stuck to doing them indoors all season - they seemed to have pretty consistent, healthy growth, and seem to be relatively slow and stagnant, despite being in very healthy soil or soil-mixes. I will chalk this up to the extended rainy and cooler start to late Spring/early Summer, which seemed to coincide with their outdoor planting. 

My older plants (Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, Tombstone Ghost, and Carolina Reaper) which are 9-10 months old, and were bushes in my tent. I think I mentioned I really beat them up before I moved them out. Kind of kicking myself in the a for doing so. Live and learn.

The peppers that have been potted (leftovers from a plant sale mostly.)

It's interesting to see the phenotype differences between my habanada plants. I have noticed a stark difference in phenotypes between the potted Pink Tiger X Peach Bhut and grounded plant, and between two CGN21500s in the ground.
Now for the plants that are in the ground. 
Black Hungarian:

Santa Fe Grande:

CGN21500:

Aji Pineapple:

Cheiro Creme:

Fatalli Orange (seems like it's the slowest growing):

Primo X Lemon Drop

Peppadew:

Brazilian Starfish Orange:

Bishop's Crown:

Hangjiao #9:

Palmyra:

Pink Tiger X Peach Bhut (thin pheno):

MakeIt20 said:
It's interesting to see the phenotype differences between my habanada plants. I have noticed a stark difference in phenotypes between the potted Pink Tiger X Peach Bhut and grounded plant, and between two CGN21500s in the ground.
Now for the plants that are in the ground. 
Black Hungarian:

Santa Fe Grande:

CGN21500:

Aji Pineapple:

Cheiro Creme:

Fatalli Orange (seems like it's the slowest growing):

Primo X Lemon Drop

Peppadew:

Brazilian Starfish Orange:

Bishop's Crown:

Hangjiao #9:

Palmyra:

Pink Tiger X Peach Bhut (thin pheno):

Your plants dont look too bad. In my opinion I think you should do whatever you can to get rid of the weeds and grass around the plants. I have found by experience that pepper plants do not compete very well.

Agreed.  Looks like most are adjusting well and getting prepared to take off.  Looking forward to seeing that!  Mine stalled a bit after planting out, but I know they've been settling in their roots and adjusting to outdoor life and summer's only just about to get started. I expect you'll have some crazy bushes on your hands this season.

Thanks ya'll.
I'm definitely trying to get on top of the weeds, well, particularly all of the grass that was able to get reseeded after we tilled but couldn't get a week without rain so that I could cut enough of my and my neighbors' grass to create ground cover. Hard to get an extended enough period or weekend of weeding in to make a serious dent at this point - spent a few hours out there last night and when I went to show my wife where I had weeded, it was tough to find! It doesn't help that in "weeding" I am taking out grass, tree starts, and creeping charlie, but leaving behind dandelions that aren't too close, purselane, clover, and buckwheat. We had of course more rain last night, causing flash floods, and will try to get out there today to get more weeding done while the soil is soft. We are now actively fighting our first aphid infestation - we are growing artichokes this year, and apparently they are prone to developing aphid infestations. Fortunately the type of aphid should only affect them and our nasturtiums due to their type, but we're spraying them with neem pretty heavily in the evenings and praying it won't rain for a full day.

Weeding got interrupted, in a flood watch until Wednesday. Wife says forget the grass, more buckwheat and pea vetch will be planted to choke it all out. I don't want to be patient but I spent 3 hours after the last post to end up properly weeding three out of all of our plants. Gave up when I got rained out, and I'll just go with what the wife says. In a few weeks we'll have less weeds and more buckwheat lol

Just a quick update:
Wife realized not hand-weeding was a mistake, so we have been getting after it this last week and a half or so.
I took a few highlight pics from the garden in general.
I have been talking to another producer at the co-op we sell our produce through, and they are now asking to buy all of our ghost peppers through the season. Lucky enough, from my indoor over-winter tent I ended up with four ghosts, and they are all quite prolific now! Here's one representative image from two different plants, these things are loading up with gnarly pods!
zkUL81m.jpg

It's been super hot - it looks like the heat has even started to affect the flowers of our Calendula.
pVgdTwz.jpg

We planted a ton of marigolds all throughout the garden. It seems like the Japanese beetles aren't as thick this year, but these have been drawing them all in for easy collecting and killing.
z4CXgb8.jpg

One Pink Tiger X Peach Bhut (Thin Pheno) from WHP that is turns all purple (the other is all green.) This, as well as the Fatalli Orange and Cheiro Cremes seem to have the most shy peppers - no pods yet :/
Jl7fkF9.jpg

Purple De Milpa Tomatillos and Nasturtiums getting up close with each other
SQXTZiT.jpg

We didn't want tomatos, but its hard to say no to free plants!
FD5DCiK.jpg

One habanada plant, which has all purple pods. The other plant I kept of habanada has all green pods that are larger and more like the image I usually see advertised for the variety:
Gbrz5J0.jpg

Hangjiao #3, I keep having to pick unripe peppers because they keep growing down to the ground
9adJfgw.jpg

Ausilio Thin Skin Italian - the bell pepper developed by a family just blocks from where I live. Gotta love hot, upside down growing bells!
ZD0jVt4.jpg

My first Bishop's Crown, it is now turning red, and the plant is finally putting out more than 3 pods at once. I can't wait to try it!
dlNbJ3I.jpg

The Brazilian Starfish Orange took forever to set pods, and now it has plenty!
rZHWHa6.jpg

And finally, our garlic harvest yesterday, which is now hung in our first garage, drying:
7mLWUE6.jpg

No new pictures to update with, but we have had a couple ups, and a couple downs.

Found out we now have corn earworms in addition to the cabbage loopers that always want to hit up our lettuce and such. The corn earworms must be daft - I have found but one on a calendula flower, but we found out about them from first finding little holes in quite a few beautiful, ripening ghost pods. No caterpillars inside any of these, I think their intended target was a nearby tomatillo plant - it appears they have been going at the tomatillos relatively hard. 

We also had a deer apparently jump the fence, which ended up not trampling anything, but they did go around and bite the tops off of a few different pepper plants. I am not sure which hot pepper they ended with, but out of 20-some plants, they only hit about 5, and then must have left without much more damage. I didn't lose many peppers at all here, but I do now have a lot of fresh growth and branching - so thanks deer!

Finally, I stopped by the CO2 place to see how the ladies there were doing with their pepper plants that I gave them. One wanted sweet, not hot peppers, so I gave her a Bishop's Crown, which she was raving about. Last night, I picked my first nearly all-red BC pepper. Wow!
Like Wow!
I am so glad I joined this site and broadened my horizons outside of the usual garden-variety peppers, or top 10 superhots. The Bishop's Crown is by far the best tasting pepper I have ever had in my life. I am so stoked to try out more varieties I have seen members praise, like the Brazilian Starfish Orange. Did I say wow!?

Back