• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

First time starting spinach

Today, I looked at the seedling trays in the store. They weren't pretty. So, that's a no-go. 
Here's mine, seed leaves looking like butterflies. Not a great picture, but it happened... so there.
GOwlyKT.jpg

Hey thanks.
I've read that transplanting spinach is tough. I think mine are developing nicely. Three sets of true leaves starting to form a crown.
Roots looked good; stalks still a bit thin. The coco mix I used made it easy to backfill and firmly pack and stabilize them. I haven't watered-in.

I found this out on the internet: I might try this procedure or germ them like I do my microgreen seeds.

Temperature Requirements
Spinach seeds germinate best between 40 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit. The amount of time needed for germination varies with the temperature. Spinach sprouts most slowly at temperatures just above freezing. It germinates in approximately three weeks at 50 degrees, but needs only about five days at a temperature of 77 degrees. At 77 degrees, however, only 30 percent of seeds germinate, and seeds may not sprout at all at higher temperatures.
Soaking Seeds
Spinach seeds sprout more quickly when they receive a preliminary soaking, according to the GrowVeg.com website. About 10 days before planting, seeds are soaked in room-temperature water for 24 hours. After draining, seeds need to rest on paper towels for one to two days, then stored in a cool place in a sealed container for one week. Seeds prepared in this way germinate in about five days.

skullbiker said:
I found this out on the internet: I might try this procedure or germ them like I do my microgreen seeds.

Temperature Requirements
Spinach seeds germinate best between 40 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit. The amount of time needed for germination varies with the temperature. Spinach sprouts most slowly at temperatures just above freezing. It germinates in approximately three weeks at 50 degrees, but needs only about five days at a temperature of 77 degrees. At 77 degrees, however, only 30 percent of seeds germinate, and seeds may not sprout at all at higher temperatures.
Soaking Seeds
Spinach seeds sprout more quickly when they receive a preliminary soaking, according to the GrowVeg.com website. About 10 days before planting, seeds are soaked in room-temperature water for 24 hours. After draining, seeds need to rest on paper towels for one to two days, then stored in a cool place in a sealed container for one week. Seeds prepared in this way germinate in about five days.

The last part about priming, where you dry the seeds for 10 days after soaking, I don't feel that is necessary. I've seen this matriconditioning recommended for improved vigor and consistent germ rate to produce an even stand of seedlings in an outdoor plot. 
The info under Temperature Requirements I have found to be true. They seem to germinate with good success in around 5 days just soaking and sewing at 70F.

Your microgreen method is proven. So, I don't see why that shouldn't work. A few days ago I put into the fridge two batches of germinants sewn in cups of coco en masse. I've been reading some other articles with gardeners are pricking out and transplanting spinach seedlings. I'm confident in my fine motor skills.

I decided to try start these damned spinach seeds like my microgreen seeds. 24 hr soak then rinse and drain every 12 hrs. I will start with 36 seeds hoping for at least 24 sprouted to sow.

4069C1D6-E76C-4508-BD4C-8DA172475C76.jpeg

You've got a hand in everything.
Good luck with the germ method. I think at <70 F you could see those numbers. The more the merrier. You'll have plenty of FSST to go around.

Mr. West said:
You've got a hand in everything.
Good luck with the germ method. I think at <70 F you could see those numbers. The more the merrier. You'll have plenty of FSST to go around.
Gotta stay out of trouble. I should know before too long if the FSST ferment is going to fly. Once I went down that rabbit hole from your provided link I found a few different old school natural plant growing supplements. The experimenting will continue.

I'm sure I've passed over a bit of reading on the subject before, but it's another thing to see a well-documented procedure like you have there.
I've gone off on an experimental tangent before, after researching fermented plant extracts.
One of these days I'll try my hand at microgreens and maybe culture a tea.
I think that article also mentions willow bark tea. It sounds like you've found other knowledgable resources.
I'll be interested to see where the rabbit hole leads you.

They stalled out a little after the transplant. I've sort of had them on the back burner since then. I have peppers under the cfl now. The spinach gets natural sunlight on the porch. Look about the same. Probably just working them roots. I'll post up some pictures soon.

Mr. West said:
A few days ago I put into the fridge two batches of germinants sewn in cups of coco en masse. I've been reading some other articles with gardeners are pricking out and transplanting spinach seedlings. I'm confident in my fine motor skills.
Any action on your seeds in coco? I recently considered that but will wait to see how yours goes. I now have 2 seeds sprouted of the bunch microgreen method, 5 days so far so will see how many more pop in the coming days.
D5FB72D4-487E-49E3-8C85-16F112712764.jpeg

skullbiker said:
Any action on your seeds in coco? I recently considered that but will wait to see how yours goes. I now have 2 seeds sprouted of the bunch microgreen method, 5 days so far so will see how many more pop in the coming days.
Idk about the spinach, but yesterday we got some cooler weather. I took them out of the fridge and checked the kale. A few days ago, I got impatient and watered that cup. So, I sifted them out in water and sewed again in fresh mix. There were about 30 newly sprouted, like your spinach there. I expect them to break ground soon, and I'll give the spinach another day too.

I did the same with the spinach. I put 3 in cups. The rest are enlarged, but no tails.
The kale started to come up. I'll separate them into cups soon.

Thank you, sir. Both upside down. There's really no excuse for that. I guess I was so satisfied having finished them that I didn't care about the formatting.
I think they look good. They're not leggy, and their roots are long. It was lazy of me to put them in small cells, but it will be easier to manage as a side project.

Back