• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fish food foliar

I was thinking of doing fish food foliar fertilizing. Does anyone know what amount you would use per gal. in foliar spraying?

I don't have the label in front of me but I know its 1 TBSP per quart. Directions were on the back of bottle. I use Alaskan fish fert. If you are spraying indoors I recommend a few candles in the room. It does not have the greatest smell to it. I am not sure what the size of your plants are but if they are really young you may want to only spray with 1/2 or 1/4 strength.

i assuming you know what's in your fishfood? looking at my walmart, greatvalue tropical fish flood, i don't think i would use it for a foliar spray.

i bought some alfalfa, put a small handful into a nylon, put it into a pail, poured hot water on it, let it sit for 24 hours, then removed the nylon. i thinned it out to about 1 cup per 1 quart misting bottle. it seems to work nice and i have noticed a lot of new growth on many of my new plants. not so much on my overwintered plants but they seem to like epsom salt spray the best, except for my hot lemons, they exploded into flowers. i tried watering with it but it blanketed grey/white fuzzies all over the soil, so i just use it for misting.

but if you are going to make fishfood spray, i would empty the contents of a tea bag, fill it with about the same amount of fishfood and soak it in a large cup of water for 24 hours, then thin it out with water and experiment on 1 or 2 plant varieties.

good luck

oh, you are referring to using fish fertilizer, then making a spray from it? goofy me! but the alfalfa foliar spray has really done wonders on some of my plants. i was just sitting upstairs, sipping on some japanese green tea when i noticed some brand new light green growth on my easter cactus - i am sure it wasn't there yesterday.

as for amusing, after reading some other posts the last few days, the site needs a little more...... amusing.

thanks,

I was thinking of doing fish food foliar fertilizing. Does anyone know what amount you would use per gal. in foliar spraying?

Take it from experience (a few weeks ago) be VERY moderate on the fish food when foliar feeding. I did it a few weeks back and cut the recommended amount in 1/2 (actually a little less) and burnt the hell out of some plants. You can still see some burn in my recent pics from today. I decided I wont be doing that anymore :)

Good luck.

yep, fish fertilizer will cook your plants and the problem is, you never really know how to mix it because all the commerical products are built different.

that stuff is strong but if used right, you will see some very noticeable results.

but for the most part, foliar spraying is just a quick fix for stuff that's really lacking in the soil.

best way to improve growth is to keep the soil happy. =D

I use it all the time with great results 1 tablespoon of fish, 1 tbsp sea weed, 1 tbsp of calcium, to 1 gal of water. water should be without chlorine. spray only in the early morning or you will burn plants.foliar spray is a great way to add nutes to your plants. will not work over the long run if your soil is bad. try growing your soil add plenty of sea weed and fish raise the good bacteria in the soil also water with some lacto do a goggle search on Beneficial Indigenous microorganisms and home made fertilizer, great information. good luck growing. Alex

I use it all the time with great results 1 tablespoon of fish, 1 tbsp sea weed, 1 tbsp of calcium, to 1 gal of water. water should be without chlorine. spray only in the early morning or you will burn plants.foliar spray is a great way to add nutes to your plants. will not work over the long run if your soil is bad. try growing your soil add plenty of sea weed and fish raise the good bacteria in the soil also water with some lacto do a goggle search on Beneficial Indigenous microorganisms and home made fertilizer, great information. good luck growing. Alex

Is it possible to have Beneficial Indigenous microorganisms in a hydroponic system?

Yes make with clean water and add to your set up @2 tbsp to the gal of water ,have recipe if you want it or you can goggle home made fertilizer. you may have to make it a little weaker to use in your set up

Yes make with clean water and add to your set up @2 tbsp to the gal of water ,have recipe if you want it or you can goggle home made fertilizer. you may have to make it a little weaker to use in your set up

Let's see your recipe so we all can benefit from it. :)

OKay here it goes. Cook 2-3 cups of plain white rice, barrow a large shallow pan spread rice in a even layer, cover with some kind of wire barrier i use 1/4" hardware cloth to keep out rodents and cheese cloth to keep out dirt and bugs walk around were you have a healthy stand of plants growing a microbe hot-spot. collect leaf and some soil from a foot beneath the ground take this litter and soil back to your rice pan.keep it on the ground in the shade.place litter on top of it.keep it moist not wet,let set for 7-8 Days after 7 days look under the cloth you should fine a colorful array of fungi growing on your rice. Remove the leaf litter discard. scrape the rice into a 5 gal bucket,add raw sugar or molasses 1 part sugar to 3 parts rice fill bucket with water non-chlorinated that will give you a lot of Indigenous MYCORRHIZAL FUNGI ,Strain out solids you can dilute this solution 20-1 with non-chlorinated water. I use molasses as it works better for me have made with raw cane sugar from the sugar mill too.I like the sweetness it adds to tomato's good growing and have fun. Alex

ps: try it you will like it. if anyone has questions please feel free to ask

pss; put 2 tbsp of this along with 2 tbsp lacto ,2 tbsp of fish extract. 2 tbsp sea weed extract and 2 tbsp of home made calcium in a gal of water and you have the best damn EM-1 in the world.and all live bacteria

OKay here it goes. Cook 2-3 cups of plain white rice, barrow a large shallow pan spread rice in a even layer, cover with some kind of wire barrier i use 1/4" hardware cloth to keep out rodents and cheese cloth to keep out dirt and bugs walk around were you have a healthy stand of plants growing a microbe hot-spot. collect leaf and some soil from a foot beneath the ground take this litter and soil back to your rice pan.keep it on the ground in the shade.place litter on top of it.keep it moist not wet,let set for 7-8 Days after 7 days look under the cloth you should fine a colorful array of fungi growing on your rice. Remove the leaf litter discard. scrape the rice into a 5 gal bucket,add raw sugar or molasses 1 part sugar to 3 parts rice fill bucket with water non-chlorinated that will give you a lot of Indigenous MYCORRHIZAL FUNGI ,Strain out solids you can dilute this solution 20-1 with non-chlorinated water. I use molasses as it works better for me have made with raw cane sugar from the sugar mill too.I like the sweetness it adds to tomato's good growing and have fun. Alex

ps: try it you will like it. if anyone has questions please feel free to ask

pss; put 2 tbsp of this along with 2 tbsp lacto ,2 tbsp of fish extract. 2 tbsp sea weed extract and 2 tbsp of home made calcium in a gal of water and you have the best damn EM-1 in the world.and all live bacteria

Are you placing the litter directly on top of the rice and then the wire mesh and cloth over that? About how much dirt are you talking about?

I use a 12"X12"X3" cedar box i made for the purpose. cover the box or tray or what ever you use with cloth so it will breath and then wire mesh to keep critters out. then pile leaves and soil over that. do not let anything touch the rice but air. You only need a couple inches of dirt. Alex

I use a 12"X12"X3" cedar box i made for the purpose. cover the box or tray or what ever you use with cloth so it will breath and then wire mesh to keep critters out. then pile leaves and soil over that. do not let anything touch the rice but air. You only need a couple inches of dirt. Alex

Thanks, much clearer.

http://www.thenaturalfarmingway.com/

Here is a good website with recipes for IMO's (including IMO 4), Fermented plant juice, Brown Rice vintager, Lactic Acid, FAA....But ya, AL's recipe is right on track. This site just takes it a little further. Hopefully Ill start my IMO4 in a week or 2, Im still waiting for the rain and snow to stop (damn Hawaiians :lol:) .

Great site Louie Thanks Alex

just for you Louie 80 to 85 day time temps gets cooler at night 68 to 70 Rains every other day for about 1 hr. Plants Love it

Back