• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Fish Pepper White Sauce?

Hi everyone,

I've just germinated some fish pepper seeds and have some healthy little seedlings.

I've read about the history of the fish pepper and have come across references to a hot white sauce that was made for fish and shellfish dishes in the 19th century using these peppers.

Does anyone have any idea how such a sauce and dish might be prepared?

John
Melbourne

Here ya' go mate .........

[SIZE=10pt]White Hot Fish Pepper Salsa[/SIZE]
The white bell pepper variety called for in this recipe was developed specifically for its white color, and is available in many supermarkets with specialty peppers. This is an excellent salsa for fish or shellfish, and also ceviche (a chilled mixture of fish marinated in lime juice). It can be frozen for later use.
1 pound white bell peppers
4 ounces white ‘Fish’ peppers
1 large cooking apple (about 8 ounces), pared, cored and chopped
1 1⁄2 cups white wine vinegar
1 cup sugar
4 cloves garlic
1 cup fresh pineapple, chopped (or substitute 1/2 cup lime juice)
1 1⁄2 tbsp salt

Seed and chop the peppers, and put them in a large, non-reactive (avoid aluminum and copper) pan. Add the apple, vinegar, sugar, garlic and pineapple (or lime). Cover and simmer over medium heat for 25 to 30 minutes or until the peppers are soft. Purée to a creamy consistency and return to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil. Stir in the salt, and pour into hot sterilized jars. Seal and store in a dark, cool closet until needed, or freeze.         Yields 5 cups.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/fish-pepper-zmaz09amzraw.aspx?PageId=2

Thanks SanPatricio... I'll definitely have a go at this.

But this is more like a condiment type sauce, isn't it? The impression I got from reading about the fish pepper history is that the white sauce was more like a kind of spicy bechamel and the fish was actually cooked in it or served with it - but I could be wrong.

Thanks Dave!

I tried the cajun seafood pasta sauce for dinner the other night and it was great! I used a marinara seafood mix (here in Oz that means bits of unidentified fish, prawns [what you call shrimps], mussels and calamari), kept the pepper in and put in about half a tsp of dried tepin flakes.

It's very strong flavoured, and the pepper heat suits the flavours. I recommend this and am looking forward to trying it with the fish peppers.

I can see the point of the white fish pepper, I suppose. With the powdered tepin flakes you do get the pristine white (ok, off-white) of the fish and cheese corrupted by the little red flecks of the pepper, and for aesthetic reasons you might want to keep it all white. At least I think that's the point.

Back