• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Fist Chili of the season....

The time has come to start getting off the grill and coming inside (Meaning the weather sucks today).  Gonna throw a big pot of our slightly hot chili together.

Thought you guys might be interested...

I'll throw up some pictures later if I can figure out how.

VR,
Harold

Martha and Harold’s Home Grown Chili Con Cojones

As many of the following as you have on hand
  • 1 Aji Panca Chili (Dehydrated)
  • 1 Green Chili (Dehydrated)
  • 1 Cayenne Chili (Dehydrated)
  • 1 Scorpion Pepper (Dehydrated)
  • 1 Habanero (Dehydrated)
  • 1 fresh jalapeno
  • Cut or shred all peppers into chili
  • 3  29 oz. cans tomato sauce
  • 3  16 oz. cans of plain chili beans (Do not drain)
  • 1-2 cans diced tomatoes
  • 2 small cans tomato paste
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 1 heaping Tsp. black pepper
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 3 Tbsp. chili powder
  • 1 Tsp. Cumin
  • 1-1 ½ lbs. Ground Beef, browned
  • 1-1 ½ lbs. sliced, cubed, steak (Rib Eye, NY strip, flank steak, skirt steak, etc.), Browned or grilled rare
  • If you don’t have steak, use more ground beef or whatever kind or meat you have on hand
  • 2 medium onions diced
  • Water as needed for consistency (Start out a little soupy)
Put it all in a big pot or Dutch oven and simmer over low heat for several hours or until you are happy with it.

Glad You enjoyed it. Of course that's just a starting point, you can mess around with different meat, peppers, spices, etc. I usually let it simmer on low for about 4-5 hrs, but you could probably eat it in as little as 1-2.

VR,
Harold

Looks like love in a pot. I've added chocolate or dark roasted coffee not to much but wow can really give a unique flavor. My wife says she'll make the cornbread. Mmmmmmm making us hungry whitewookie. :)

Looks fantastic. I know it must have turned out fiery, filling and flavorful! I have a batch of my own chili going right now in my slow cooker. I didn't have all of the ingredients I wanted, so a bit of experimentation was involved. I took a look at my pantry and started throwing stuff in so we'll see soon enough. As I didn't bother to measure, the ingredients used are as follows: cayenne pepper powder, onion & mushroom soup mix (dry), chili powder (commercial), about a pound and a half of 85/15 ground beef (browned off), vegetable stock (probably about a cup), my own blend of pepper powder (reaper, moruga scorpion, white habanero, chocolate habanero, scotch bonnet), garlic powder, black pepper, and one can of no salt added diced tomatoes.

I can't wait to taste it.

Back