• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Fitty

"Fitty" because it's 1/2 of the main ingredients.
1/2 sfrb....Because I gave away the other half to my brother of those I had 2 of (most of them)
Arrived @ noon to the P.O.
Cleaned:
DSCN9041.jpg

Chopped and sweated with 1/2 bell pepper, 1/2 red onion, a dash of sea salt and garlic powder.
DSCN9042.jpg

Added 1 can of chopped tomatoes. (I know, but wanted it NOW)
DSCN9045.JPG

3 fingers of cilantro and a splash of tomato paste.
DSCN9046.jpg

Eat.
DSCN9048.jpg

From arriving at post office, splitting with my brother,going to the store, preparing and cooking, (with diversions on the way) to eating, 3 hrs.

So fast I didn't notice "hunan hand" until after eating a bunch.

Only thing I would change is the red onion. I wanted a Walla Walla sweet, but the store was out of them. The taste of the red is a bit off putting.

Oh yeah! Gimme some please!

One question. I see a lot of people using cilantro in their sauces. Fresh cilantro has a certain, well, fresh taste to it. Does this freshness keep well in salsas and sauces?

Oh yeah! Gimme some please!

One question. I see a lot of people using cilantro in their sauces. Fresh cilantro has a certain, well, fresh taste to it. Does this freshness keep well in salsas and sauces?
I find when cooked or canned it loses its WOW factor.

That is a good looking cooked salsa, do not fret, the pros use canned tomatoes at times as well. :)

I "almost" bought some fresh tomatoes-----if there would have been some nice walla walla's or vidalia's I would have. But as I had to compromise----well, and I wanted it NOW------you know the drill.
The nice acid hit of the fresh tomatoes isn't there---and wancho---I feel the cilantro is best used as a topping, not as an ingredient for the full flavor, (cooked, not fresh) but ads a certain "something-something" especially after sitting in the cooler for 24 hrs or so.

I am pleased with this quick prep, but really disappointed with the nasty bite of the red onions. I thought it would be lessened by the sweating, but it wasn't.

But OMG----the flavours of the random mix of peppers in the sfrb I got from tyler didn't get lost.

I can taste the wild brazils along side the limon's and douglah's distinctly. Though the "chinese" flavour is foremost in the mix.

The quick bite to the tongue, followed by the mouth feel, and the throat last. No stomach broil, and a satisfying slow linger has me anxious to see what it becomes after melding for a day in the fridge.

Damned right tylerdodd. Sweet mix of variety.

Can't wait for the next box. :drooling:

Hehehhe, something-something. The cilantro will maybe not taste like fresh cilantro but if it tastes good, it tastes good! My grandma used to say: ïf it works, it works"

And the onion, maybe you should dice it more finely. Sorry my english is not very good. Dutch and papiamento are my language. But cutting up the onion finer will create more surface area and cook it faster. Maybe even mix the cut onion with salt before sauteeing. Cuts the onionness even more.

Your pics really got me drooling!!! O. M. to the ffin G. :P

Note (for those interested) all was done on "High Heat---Max" for the stove. The point being a sweating, not a cooking. I never reduced the heat from beginning to end.
Sweat the peppers and onions, add the tomatoes, and quickly add the cilantro and paste. Stir once, wait for steam, stir again and bottle.

Nahhhh. The onion wasn't my preferred variety. I like my salsa to have a "crunch" Wancho, the red variety has the crunch, but an off flavour that doesn't fit. If you like a bitter bite, it will work for that. I prefer a sweeter crunch.

Note (for those interested) all was done on "High Heat---Max" for the stove. The point being a sweating, not a cooking. I never reduced the heat from beginning to end.
Sweat the peppers and onions, add the tomatoes, and quickly add the cilantro and paste. Stir once, wait for steam, stir again and bottle.

Busted. :confused:

Good looking Salsa! You were worried about using canned tomatos but NOT garlic powder??? ;)

EDIT. BUSTED!!!!
I forgot I had some in the garden.

I WANTED IT NOW!!!!!!

The previous edit, wancho, was for the garlic. Somehow, it got re posted to your post.
Just a personal preference, some like the bitter taste of red onions, I personally don't.
To each their own.

And really, I can't see how accomplished food prep-orators would even be interested in a novice chile-head's quick throw-down.
I NEVER work from a recipe---except for baking, and taste and adjust according to my mood at the moment.
In my experience, it provides as many epic fail's as wondrous culinary excitements. :dance:

Wing it! Hehehehe.
Even when baking breads etc, i go with my gut feeling. Especially the morning after drinking a lot of tequila. Those gut feelings work best! Wondrous culinary excitements they are. Yes indeed. Chileeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Ooops did i drank too mucho already?

"Ooops did i drank too mucho already?"

Not if the dough isn't coaxing you out of bed in the A.M.

Try Mescal.
A bit more inventive, IMHO. :drunk:
I always design on the fly----except upon waking----it may not be what I actually intended. Or maybe so, a sit for a few hours may be the ultimate solution to world peace-------------or not. :violin:
The ultimate solution to the worlds greatest salsa for the moment-----for me.
To each their own.
I would recommend to the casual inventor a change to a more compatible onion .
In my taste, mind you..

Scallions.......... Methinks.

WANCHO-------Have a shot or two------mix as you see fit.

Wat can you loose???????

I wouldn't fault ya for the canned maters - I'd say about 75% of my salsa batches each year used canned - these are my preferred make/model: http://www.muirglen.com/products/fire-roasted/fire-roasted-diced-tomatoes-14-5-oz--2

Looks like an awesome batch (agree w/the red onion opinion as well)...

I am going to call you out in the BBQ potato chips as dippers though :)

Back