• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Flat leaf....?

This mystery plant that I bought from the local garden shop labeled as "hot pepper, carribean" (whatever that is) seems to not have the typical smooth leaves like I see on all other plants...kinda bulges between the viens...is this normal?

71f7a5fb.jpg

From the pepper plants I have seen and im sure you will also see if you look at a lot of the pics on the site, this is quite normal. I dont think there are any or many pepper plants that have FLAT leaves. Good looking plant. Also the "carribean" could be that its a "carribean red" or something of that sort.

If by wavy you mean wrinkled then yes, thats completely normal. Majority of all my Chinese have really wrinkled leaves. Its their signature.

The real name of it is probably a Caribbean Red Habanero. I grow them every year and Its twice has hot as your standard orange hab and can be up to around 400,000 Scovile units!! But you wont really know until you have fully ripened pods.

Edit: Also their are many different varities of peppers from the caribbean

The pods are normally a little longer than the normal hab pod

yeah, the Chinenses are more wrinkly than non-Chinenses. Your plant looks healthy and strong, nothing at all unusual about its leaves.

Yep, these guys have got it. It's just the plant type. If you showed me a Serrano or Jalapeno that looked like that though, then I might be a tad worried :lol:

Plant looks nice and healthy. As stated by others...the chinese varieties are not smooth leaf types like the Jalapenos or others. Best of luck in your grow season.

Back