• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

flavor flavor lossless recipe for a newbie

Hi guys,
I want to make my first hot sauce from some yellow habaneros, but i want to keep their natural fruity flavor intact as much as possible. Can u please help me with some recipes or advice of how can I do it without affecting their beautiful flavor?

Thx
M

I think the hab citrus is really powerful - its hard to know exactly why you're trying to achieve, so experiment a bit. Use different vinegars, fruits (as mentioned), or if not fruit, sugar qtys & water, etc

Really it's trial & error but look around the THP site - lots of people have posted quikie recipes & it's pretty hard to drown out a hab! It's the most potent of the ingredients. From there it's personal preference.
:cheers:

Yellow chinenses are always my favorites. They usually go very well with fruits such as pineapple, oranges, lemons, limes etc. Try using citrus juices instead of vinegars to lower pH.
I know there was a very similar thread recently, I just can't remember exactly which yellow chinense was used???

Good luck

If you plan on trying to get a perfect recipe for yourself you can always make tiny batches and see how those turn out. From there you can tweak the recipe a bit to taste. Also, weigh out your ingredients and if the sauce turns out good post up the recipe! I'm sure many people here would love to try it :)

For a fresher flavor don't overcook. It you also want a smooth mouthfeel, without cooking it down, this takes practice. A balance of cooking, ingredients, liquids, emulsifiers.

welcome-

There are a lot of recipes posted here on THP in the recipe section, and this site also has a ton ov recipes. Just read read read and you'll get the idea of what's popular combinations and good preparations.

http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/hotsauce_idx.html

As has been said, take good notes of the ingredients, what you like, what you don't like...and HAVE FUN!

salsalady

If you plan on trying to get a perfect recipe for yourself you can always make tiny batches and see how those turn out. From there you can tweak the recipe a bit to taste. Also, weigh out your ingredients and if the sauce turns out good post up the recipe! I'm sure many people here would love to try it :)

That;s a hugely helpful tip (also from SL!)

Not only write your recipes, but do it in gram weight (liquids, solids, everything) - makes scaling them out to larger batches easier. If you make like 1/2 cup of sauce just to tweak the balance and get the flavor you want, weigh each ingredient & note it down. If you do it in Excel (or similar application) you can plug in a quick formula to scale it to say, a quart or gallon of sauce.

Good luck!
:cheers:

A few years ago I made a hot sauce pairing Habs and Pineapple. Beautiful. I used the solids I seperated from the liquid and made a great topping for hamburgers and hot dogs. It was like a sweet hot relish. I'm thinking about it again this year, but might actually add pickles to round it out.

Back