• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Florida storms

Hello all,
You all have helped me this far and now i need more advice from the pros. I'm in south Florida and for over a week now it's been constant rain and very cloudy weather. My plants (bhut, scorpion, habanero) have been so soaked I've pulled them all in. Thing is, i have no lights, I've always kept them outside. My habs are growing inall different directions trying to reach some lights, my scorpions and habs have seemed to stop growing. Should i just buy some lights for situations like this or just wait it out?

Id just wait it out. I have friends that grow and live in FL. You can give the ones you want window light until the storms pass and either set up a greenhouse for your outside plants or give them some other means of shelter

all the plants I left to die in the ground are doing great in all this rain, they're on their second set of true leaves.

all the ones I put left outside in pots look like they're about to die

If you dont have a covered structure i.e. hoophouse or greenhouse....make sure you have a really well draining soil. I know tha that the summer wet season is relentless here in FL.

The in ground plants always seem to do better than potted ones when it comes to substantial rain. It is a tough balance. I wouldn't go get lights, do you have a garage or porch? You could just open the door or drag them outside in between bouts of biblical rains. It sucks, but the potted plants always seem to drain a bit slower than the ones in the ground, no matter how well you mix the soils.

The weather being the way it is here in Florida right now (endless rain, mostly cloudy) the chiles I still have in pots are waiting it out under cover with a dual-bulb T5 standing in.  With that sort of lighting I don't expect any new growth, but it will offset them being stunted in the interim.  I'm postponing my plant out until the waters recede a bit.

In south Florida as well. All my plants are either under shelter or inside. My bigger plants seem to be doing fine. My seedlings are looking like they are going to die. :(

I pulled mine in as well. I feel for the folks with lots of plants in containers ....
Tomorrow is supposed to be bad, hope my little tent/grow spot holds up to the winds.
I paint for work and lacquer sure don't like wet   :doh:

if you put anything in the ground make sure it's on a little dirt mound and not inside a hole

if you have pots outside make sure they're being held off the ground

holyhotpeppers said:
If you dont have a covered structure i.e. hoophouse or greenhouse....make sure you have a really well draining soil. I know tha that the summer wet season is relentless here in FL.
Just to add to this, it's also about leaching of your nutrients. The rain can quickly wash out all of the water soluble nutrients you may have applied. This is probably a case where a fast draining soil mix both helps and hurts you...

The actual storms I'm not worried about, ive since sheltered my plants, but it's the lack of sunlight now I'm worrying about

Back