• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Flower drop

Hey all, I'm having heavy flower drop. It has been over 100 here for some time, 107 yesterday.

I feel pretty sure this is why I have so much problem with pepper production.

My peppers receive full sun for most of the day (9+ hours). Would putting up a sun screen over the top of the peppers help much? 107 in the shade is hot, but these poor little suckers in the sun must be roasting.

The plants are the following type:

Bhut jolokia, red, yellow and chocolate x three each color

T7, red, yellow, douglah and brain strain x three each type

Scorpion, butch T x two

Habaneros, chocolate, yellow and red x two each color

I have a few peppers on each type except for the chocolate bhuts, scorpions and chocolate habs.

As a side note I want to thank everyone on thp for all the advice you have given me though the forumns that I've read. The biggest tip I received was to leave my peppers alone! All the plants look as healthy as can be and are bushy as get out.

Flower production isn't a problem. I wouldn't know what I would do with all the peppers if all the flowers went to that stage.

Oddly (to me), my jalapenos seem to produce like crazy in this heat!?!

A special thanks to AJ for his advice when I was first making my gardens, it all turned out better than I expected. I will try to post pictures of my gardens and their few lonely peppers soon as I figure the picture downloading process.

Hey all, I'm having heavy flower drop. It has been over 100 here for some time, 107 yesterday.

My peppers receive full sun for most of the day (9+ hours). Would putting up a sun screen over the top of the peppers help much? 107 in the shade is hot, but these poor little suckers in the sun must be roasting.

Scorpion, butch T x two

I have a few peppers on each type except for the chocolate bhuts, scorpions and chocolate habs.

As a side note I want to thank everyone on thp for all the advice you have given me though the forumns that I've read. The biggest tip I received was to leave my peppers alone! All the plants look as healthy as can be and are bushy as get out.

Flower production isn't a problem. I wouldn't know what I would do with all the peppers if all the flowers went to that stage.

A special thanks to AJ for his advice when I was first making my gardens, it all turned out better than I expected. I will try to post pictures of my gardens and their few lonely peppers soon as I figure the picture downloading process.
Got to be honest with ya dude, I read a lot of guys attributing their flower drop to the temps. I have never run across this problem. The only time I get flower drop is after a HEAVY feed or transplant. As you said, your japs are doing just fine and Bhuts come from much hotter climates than we get here in the U.S. so...I would just go with what ya know, leave em alone, shade them, and keep watering them :)

Scorpion, butch T x two

I have the same problem with flower drop on my c chinese plants every year from June to the end of August due to the heatbeing around 100, with the exception of my tepins whch continue to produce. Once september comes around they will pod up. I have tired putting a few under shade cloth, but the combination of high daytime temps and nighttime temps above 80 cause alot of flower drop.

Sorry, not trying to highjack the thread but was curious also,
I was going to post about this today too.. My Chocolate,Red Bhuts & Habs have some flower drop too, I wouldn't say it's heavy. A couple of my 7-Pots dropped all the flowers.. My plants are shaded, haven't ferted in about 3 weeks and that was a very light fish emulsion and some kelp. They seem healthy other than the flowers dropping. We are going through a heavy drought and the heat down here is crazy hot.

If heat were the problem then my plants outside, uncovered in hydro would be sticks as well and they are lush as can be. I think it is more often, a nutrient, soil or water issue. IMHO.

Flower drop can be affected by both daytime and nighttime temps. Pollen goes sterile at a cetain temp, but I don't remember the numbers. It could very well be nutrient, soil, or water issue. When you hit consecutiove days of 100 degree heat, it affects pod production. The same effects can also be seen in tomato plants with high temps.

I find that agreeable. However, I would focus my aim at the root zone temp more so than temps around the foliage. I hit stretches of 100+ on the thermometer most weeks during the summer here in south Atlanta. I really don't get much flower drop unless I have recently transplanted and the root systems are starting to go hyper nuts, or if I have just given a heavy feeding to newly potted up plants. My plants are in large mound rows, or very large containers, where the root zone can stay cooler than the air. In smaller containers, it can be pretty tricky to get around heat stress issues. That pollen sterility at a certain temp sounds interesting though, cool tip!

I have this problem every year with my chinenses.

I've been wating for my fatalii to give me pods for the last 3 months...

Just be patient and let them do their thing.
Sooner or later the pods will start to settle.

Bleash

I had to move my TS outside flowers dropped on patio, after they recovered from the transplant they produced pretty good. now flowers are dropping again. though plants look much better its hot and wet here so.....

Thanks everyone for all the info. This is my first season growing the superhots.

I think it's like raising my first kids, I worried about everything. Two or four later and the details just didn't really matter that much. ;)

Dave

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

The only one I have a problem with is #2, my night time temps have not been above 65°f yet, not even close. Yet I have pods, and have since May. Here during the last week, my day time temps have not reached 65°f either!

The only one I have a problem with is #2, my night time temps have not been above 65°f yet, not even close. Yet I have pods, and have since May.

I have pointed that error out several times, but been told to just be quiet every time. I guess we and our plants are wrong. :)

Back