• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Flower drop

I have some Orange habaneros from last year (that need to be shifted up to bigger pots as noted in a previous thread) they have probably 50 or so pods on them and tons of flowers. Theses plants got pruned back by deer end of last year, they would eat down to the pepper and then stop, the pods would ripen, I'd pick them and they would eat some more until they finally quit.When they flushed back
they came with tons of flowers. Like a said there is at least 50 pods on them, but Im losing probably 2-3 out 4 flowers, what's up? The pots are small so they don't stay soaking wet. Can a plant drop flowers because it has too many or enough pods growing?? Any thoughts? My Tabascos arnet dropping, neither is my Datil.

[background=yellow]Flower[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=yellow]drop[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] probable causes:[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]1. Day temp too high >95F[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]2. Night temp too low <65F[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]4. Too much water[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]8. Lack of pollinating insects.[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]9. Size of pot [/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]10. Too much mineral in feedwater.[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]11. Too much grower attention/anxiety. [/background]

[background=yellow]Flower[/background][background=rgb(255,244,228)] [/background][background=yellow]drop[/background][background=rgb(255,244,228)] probable causes:[/background]

[background=rgb(255,244,228)]1. Day temp too high >95F[/background]
[background=rgb(255,244,228)]2. Night temp too low <65F[/background]
[background=rgb(255,244,228)]3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer[/background]
[background=rgb(255,244,228)]4. Too much water[/background]
[background=rgb(255,244,228)]5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).[/background]
[background=rgb(255,244,228)]6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)[/background]
[background=rgb(255,244,228)]7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).[/background]
[background=rgb(255,244,228)]8. Lack of pollinating insects.[/background]
[background=rgb(255,244,228)]9. Size of pot [/background]
[background=rgb(255,244,228)]10. Too much mineral in feedwater.[/background]
[background=rgb(255,244,228)]11. Too much grower attention/anxiety. [/background]
Night temps have been around 58-62, did have upper 40's couple weeks ago
Get sun 10-3
Humidity 70 mid 80%
Pots def. too small but there are at least 50 pods growing per plant, afraid if I shift up they will shock
might need to spread them out some to increase circulation
Ive been using half strength miracle grow every week to week and a half, might cut back every 2-3 weeks
alotttt of attention but its mainly me just admiring them with a cold beer!
And its just the Habs that are doing any dropping

If you know your pots are too small then I would bet that is the largest part of the problem. If you have more than one plant you might try to pot one up, very carefully and quickly and see what kind of damage you do. Have the new pot ready to go. When I pot up to the final pot I "plant" a same sized empty pot into the new larger pot. I pack the dirt in all around it and water it down fairly well. Then remove the empty pot and you have a perfect sized hole to put the plant in. Then remove the plant from the small pot and drop it right into the hole. The roots are exposed for a minimum amount of time and that should reduce the shock. Hope it all works out for you.

The plant will 'give up' making new pods once it feels it has made enough pods for the plant size to handle. It usually does this by weight. If the plant's growth is slowing down, so will pod production. It won't keep growing if you don't have a large enough pot for it. If growth is already slowing down, it will start dropping some flowers, then a lot of flowers. 50 pods is a lot for some pot constricted plants, depending on the size of the pot. That being said some plants work better with pot restriction than others. When I'm getting pod drop I ask myself the following questions in order:

:?: Is it a younger chinense or other tougher to pod variety still waiting for its first pod? If so maybe it just needs a little time, light, and love.

:?: How are my lower leaves? Top leaves? Leaf color? Are they showing signs of nutrient burn or deficiency? Other problems? If so, apply the proper measures.

:?: How have I been watering? Is the soil wet and/or have I had a lot of rain? Maybe I need to back off for a while

:?: How is my plant growing? Does it seem to have slowed down? If so, maybe I need a larger pot?

:?: Am I indoors? If so do I really want pods yet anyway? Is my light strong enough? If yes to all of these maybe I need to shake the plant or try pollinating by hand.

:?: Is there any evidence of bugs or other things stressing out the plant?

:?: Have natural conditions been ridiculously hot? Cold at night? Wet? Humid? Is there edema on the leaves at all? Not much you can do for some of those situations except try to bring them inside or wait out the bad weather.

It's not a catch-all but usually if I can answer all of those questions correctly I'll end up with pods in a week or two after applying the appropriate fixes.

The plant will 'give up' making new pods once it feels it has made enough pods for the plant size to handle. It usually does this by weight. If the plant's growth is slowing down, so will pod production. It won't keep growing if you don't have a large enough pot for it. If growth is already slowing down, it will start dropping some flowers, then a lot of flowers. 50 pods is a lot for some pot constricted plants, depending on the size of the pot. That being said some plants work better with pot restriction than others. When I'm getting pod drop I ask myself the following questions in order:

:?: Is it a younger chinense or other tougher to pod variety still waiting for its first pod? If so maybe it just needs a little time, light, and love.

:?: How are my lower leaves? Top leaves? Leaf color? Are they showing signs of nutrient burn or deficiency? Other problems? If so, apply the proper measures.

:?: How have I been watering? Is the soil wet and/or have I had a lot of rain? Maybe I need to back off for a while

:?: How is my plant growing? Does it seem to have slowed down? If so, maybe I need a larger pot?

:?: Am I indoors? If so do I really want pods yet anyway? Is my light strong enough? If yes to all of these maybe I need to shake the plant or try pollinating by hand.

:?: Is there any evidence of bugs or other things stressing out the plant?

:?: Have natural conditions been ridiculously hot? Cold at night? Wet? Humid? Is there edema on the leaves at all? Not much you can do for some of those situations except try to bring them inside or wait out the bad weather.

It's not a catch-all but usually if I can answer all of those questions correctly I'll end up with pods in a week or two after applying the appropriate fixes.

Got some flower drop problems myself. You sure have lined it out great, fantastic and helpful list :D Think my problem is having too many watering schedules on my hydroponic unit with rockwool. Rockwool retains water more than I thought.

Hopefully you get your plants on track JH4FSU :)

What I'm finding this year...is bud-drop seems to occur on the plants I force onto my shcedule. Plants started when I wanted them started...plants exactly where I want them...etc. The plants I have outdoors, living a natural life, adon't drop buds at all. That being said, I do have one scorp plant that is grown exclusively indoors, and it's lost at least a hundred buds. It currently has 7 pods ripening...but I'm frcing it to live under my requirements.

Just a thought.

Back