• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Flower loss in Australia

Hi all, I'm growing 4 Trinidad Scorps in Melbourne, Australia. We've had a heatwave recently and that seems to have kickstarted good thick growth with waxy, dark green leaves.

My issue is that about 75% of the first flowers were lost; I'm suspecting birds as they appeared "snipped" at around the point where the flower stem meets the branch. The flowers themselves were unmolested.

I have draped bird netting around the plants and now watching anxiously for any repeat attacks. Just checking with other growers - does this sound like the action of birds as I suspect or possibly Australian insects?

Cheers

Most likely just the heat ... When flowers fall off they fall cleanly off at the base of there stems ... When its over 30C you tend to get much higher rates of flower drop.
Plenty of other causes but my bet is on the hot weather.
What do you feed them? What are they growing in?

Trippa said:
Most likely just the heat ... When flowers fall off they fall cleanly off at the base of there stems ... When its over 30C you tend to get much higher rates of flower drop.
Plenty of other causes but my bet is on the hot weather.
What do you feed them? What are they growing in?
+1. I wouldn't worry about it yet. Birds can be real assholes but it is usually pretty evident. 

I have found that water stress is the biggest cause of flower drop.  It would appear that if there water stress - which is not always evident as wilting or even flacid dull leaves - the first thing to go are the flowers - plant "realises" it cannot bear the luxury of fruits and best to conserve moisture in organs that contribute towards sustained growth.

If it is going to be 28 degress Celsiu or higher then I water heavily in the early morning before it has warmed up too much - I no longer have flower drop.

Thanks for the help guys!

Trippa they get a 50/50 mix of wormfarm runoff and seaweed concentrate, and from what you're all indicating I'm now thinking heat stress/water stress a more likely culprit than our avian friends. My watering program was a little too sparing over the heatwave I think, and I've paid the price :) New buds coming up, watching their progress keenly.

Hello, I'm not too far from Melbourne.

I agree with the others, flower drop isn't surprising in this heat, especially since you mentioned they were the first flowers. To answer your question, I've never known a bird to cut a flower off a capsicum plant.

First flowers don't always make it in my experience. Throw heat into the mix and its bad. I think the 30s may help with pod growth and development but not setting. Anything 35c plus I believe is detrimental to growth. Sydney got bashed with 39c for days and days. Lots of flower drop even had plants shed leaf

Cheers Sarge, the "snipped" look definitely freaked me out, I assumed the loss would be the flower bud itself, not so much the entire stalk and flower structure, which is what had me searching for an external agent :)

What watering cycle does everyone recommend for say 6 days above 30 celsius which we'll be seeing in Melbourne next?

All depends on your growing set up... Soil/ hydro , container size/ ground, plant size/type, full sun/shade, soil composition etc ... Give us a run down of them ... At the moment on a hot balcony 30 degrees C with partial midday shade from about 11 to 3 I water every 2-3 days ...
But my setup could be much different to yours

Hi, I'm mainly growing several varieties of annuums, the only chinese varieties I have are Habanero and Fatalii. 

Edit : + 1 to what Trippa asked

Trippa I'm growing my 4 Trinidad Butch T Scorps in soil in black drained pots, I'm guessing an 80/20 per cent sun shade mix, plants varying between approx 60-80cm high. All grown from Hippy Seed Co. stock direct and overwintered in a small greenhouse. I also have some Bhuts on the go but smaller.  

What size pots??
What I usually do is check my plants everyday morning and night early in the season and note if and when any are even slightly wilting ... And dial in my watering from there for example if the plants are OK for 3 days but on the 4th they are showing signs of even slight wilting I will set my watering regime for every 3 days ... Of course I continue to check on them as they get bigger and the temps warm. You can also take note of the weight of the pots when watered and when dry if you want.
If you are really concerned get a moisture meter
In really hot (35-45+C) extreme windy weather it may be necessary to water containers every 1-2 days

We get temps of 45+ in the summer here. For the summer months, I usually completely flood my pots (slowly) until the water is standing a bit above soil level and the soil is saturated. I do this every day, and the soil dries out to the point of wilting the plants even at night after just 2 days. As long as you keep it up, this schedule works very well and the flowers seems to survive higher tells than usual. I've had them set fruit in regular 40+ temps, but not nearly as well as they do once it cools.

I prefer soil for my mixes because it holds onto moisture longer than the soil-less mixes.  If using a soil-less mix always add at least a fifth finely crushed red clay (pottery clay or red bricks even) and include vermiculite.  This will help hold moisture and nutrients.  When watering pots:  soak therm in a basin until the top of the soil is wet - then you know they completely wet throughout.  Sometimes top-only watering in pots leads to dry patches that channel the water - only some of the pot is wet.  Also if you using dark pots, wrap them in silver mylar - this reflects the heat and keeps the roots cool.  I have often seen plants suffering even though watered because the pots overheat and roast the rootsl.

Back