• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

flower to pods

That depends on many things. Growing conditions and type of pepper being the most significant. A more defined question will yield a more specific answer.

then my habs should be ripening any time now as its been at-least 2 months since they were flowers and the pods are all still really green

Should be soon, but there are no hard fast rules, chinenses can be tricky, and it really depends on the ambient temps, water, nutrients, amount of sun(or light) etc

Something I wonder related to ripe pods is, when are they ready to pick? As soon as they go solid red (assuming it's a variety that's done at red)? Or will I get better results by leaving the pods on the plant for some amount of time after it first turns solid red?
I just wonder if the pods will still develop even after they're red, or if I've gotten all I can from them, and turning red is the very last thing they do. :D
Thanks.

Mncdk said:
Something I wonder related to ripe pods is, when are they ready to pick? As soon as they go solid red (assuming it's a variety that's done at red)? Or will I get better results by leaving the pods on the plant for some amount of time after it first turns solid red?
I just wonder if the pods will still develop even after they're red, or if I've gotten all I can from them, and turning red is the very last thing they do. :D
Thanks.
This really depends on the type of pepper in question. Annuums can be picked and consumed in the green, yellow, orange or red state and are quite delicious in all of them. Changes to taste do occur though with each color change. Most significantly are the levels of sugar present in the pod and sometimes heat levels. As far as further development after red has been achieved also depends on the type of pepper in question. Some pods will further ripen to a soft semi rotting condition and some thin skinned pods will actually dry on the vine. Some peppers such as the pimenta de neyde should be removed imediately when ripe as the pods tend to soften and rot soon after (from what I have heard). Stay tuned and I will personally investigate this when my pimenta de neydes pod up and ripen.

Back