• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Flowering False Cactus?

So we have this cactus. I think it's just called a false cactus. Can't find much info on it.

8606960642_2b755f3d1e_b.jpg

And we noticed this flower bud on it. This is the first time it's flowering, and I can't find anything online to show what this flower will look like. Cacti can put out some really neat flowers, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect.

8605862457_a34c623692_b.jpg

Hey, I got one of these cactus.

4 1/2 feet tall. It's like over 20 years old. Brought back to PA with me when moved from Southern California.

Always called it Dragon Bones cactus. But heard it called False cactus as well.

Has NEVER flowered in all of them years, so you might be fortunated.

I bring it inside in winter and just keep a light on it along with the other 20 I brought back. Sits in corner on the basement. Been doing good all them years.

I start cuttings from it in spring and give them away every year to people.

You get them little like leaves on it ?

Be nice to see it flower. Or even better to learn something about it as well.

Yep, it gets those little leaves all down the corners. Pretty neat! I keep mine outside year round. I'll post pics of the full bloom when it opens. Maybe we can both learn something about it! Crazy that yours never flowered in all of those years! We got this one last year, and I'd say it's grown almost a foot and a half since we got it!

While yours is a different variety, the flowers will likely be something like in this pic:
http://www.animalsandearth.com/en/photo/view/id/179796-false-cactus-in-flower-euphorbia-lactea-cristata/display/tag/param/Euphorbia%20Genus/page/1#/1/tag/Euphorbia+Genus/viewed/

.... or this: http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-images/euphorbia.html#comp.asp?recid=3989819&xtra=

This is a Euphorbia. Not sure of the species, although it may be E.cactiformis, but I collect and grow small species of Euphorbia from Madagascar. We have 2 or 3 of the one you show in the ground.

Euphorbia species are on every continent except Antarctica, but the ones like cacti tend to be from Africa and the surrounding islands. In the USA we have them at Christmas - Poinsettias are Euphorbias.

Oh, and the flowers you see are all you will get. Tiny, succulent yellow dots. If you want impressive, large and colourful flowers you should go and buy some Epiphyllums, which are incredible. They flower in April around here (California).

I love Epiphyllums. We also planted a bunch of Dragon Fruit plants, which are closely related to Epiphyllums and the flowers are very similar and white.

dragon fruit... really? Hmmmm.... My mom gifted us the epi. She has a bunch of them and she loves them. I may have to let her know about the dragon fruit.

Yes indeed - Nigel is correct. It's a Euphorbia.

Some of them are fantastically drought resistent and ideal for south Australia, but the sap is poisonous too ...

The current rage in our nuseries is Euphorbia "lipstick" - nothing like yours though.

Back