• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Flowers already?

So, a couple of my Criolla Sellas have started setting flowers...quite a few of them. Thing is, the plants are only 8-9 inches tall. Should I chop those stems? Is this a sign that the plants are stunted or will they continue to grow?

Chilidude said:
When my small plants are starting to show signs of flowering, i usually just top them up.
I do the same, but sometimes I just cut the flowers off and leave the stems and leaves, if I like the way the branches are growing.

I had two doing this...so the one in the bigger pot got topped again and the one in the smaller pot I left alone. The bigger one is already growing out from the new nodes and peeking inside I see buds. Guess she really wants to flower! All the Criolla Sellas are showing this characteristic. We'll see!

Most plants start setting flowers as soon as the trunk starts branching and forming a canopy since flowers form at the nodes. Usually a good idea to pinch off the early flowers til plants get a bit bigger.

Back