• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

flowers falling down

Hi all...
have a little problem..my jolokia's are ok,grow well,but flower falling down.Only have 3 fruit on 3 plant. donno why falling.

Only use water,not fertilising. Maybe polinating problem? i use airbrush,and pollinate manualy.

Posting some pict too. flower got yellow and drop down..a lot of flower.

THX

SDC15500.jpg

SDC15504.jpg

SDC15506.jpg

They look healthy. u should try feeding them some nutes? My big bhut has no flowers yet or signs of them. Patience young jedi.

My Butch T's have been doing the same. Setting flowers like crazy and all yellowing and falling off for the past month. Just has had 1 pod set. Hope it's out of that phase. Everything else is covered.

What is he going to say?

Good points.

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

Good points.

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

lol DD did you copypasta that?

I've been gettin a ton of flower drop on my Bhuts & Scorpions. My Habs, Japs, Birds eyes, and devils tongue all seem to be doing great. I'm going to take a guess and say that it has been the 20+ days out of the last 30 with 90 degree heat and little rain that is causing this here in Philly. I try to keep my plants some what dry, only watering when the wilt looks like its too much, while i wait for rain. From my past experience, just wait it out, they will set fruit when they are ready.

This is a post I see often from willard3 that I thought would be helpful to this post so yeah, I did "copypasta" that.

So?

This may have something to do with me posting it also.

So nuthin'... just funny how it's become legendary.

I'll also add this quote

"The key factor affecting fruit set is night temperature, which ideally should be between 65&deg; and 80&deg; F. Fruit will not set when temperature is above 85&deg; at night because of excessive transpiration, which causes the blossoms to drop." - DeWitt & Bosland - Peppers of the World.

I'm not sure if this info has been found faulty in the intervening years since the book was published.

The thing that truly amazes me is that NO ONE will do a search for flower drop.

The poster either wants to hear himself talk or thinks his problem is unique and will not search.

Carramba.......

The poster either wants to hear himself talk or thinks his problem is unique and will not search.

Carramba.......

Yeah, I did the same thing myself, so I can't really point fingers... :oops: :doh:

So nuthin'... just funny how it's become legendary.

I'll also add this quote

"The key factor affecting fruit set is night temperature, which ideally should be between 65&deg; and 80&deg; F. Fruit will not set when temperature is above 85&deg; at night because of excessive transpiration, which causes the blossoms to drop." - DeWitt & Bosland - Peppers of the World.

I'm not sure if this info has been found faulty in the intervening years since the book was published.

Good info.

And yes, it is funny, but true.

Guys, one question to this regarding pot size - does it mean that too small pot causes flower drop, or too much space(extremely too much space) can cause it too ?
In my experience, if the pot is rather small, the plant flowers earlier in the season, but not sure whether they would keep the flowers as I usually repot them when needed

Carramba.......

or more than likely just wants an answer asap, before realizing there is a search feature on the forum...

I'm sure we're all guilty of this at some point..

Guys, one question to this regarding pot size - does it mean that too small pot causes flower drop, or too much space(extremely too much space) can cause it too ?
In my experience, if the pot is rather small, the plant flowers earlier in the season, but not sure whether they would keep the flowers as I usually repot them when needed

There cannot be too much space in a pot, at worst the plant will then be using a lot of energy to grow roots so the visual satisfaction right after repotting is lower as you will get less green above ground than with using a smaller pot, but in the end more roots make for an overall larger plant up to a certain point of diminishing return if the pot is very large.

Too small a pot can mean it cannot hold enough water between waterings so either the plant dries out or the watering schedule is so frequent as to keep the soil surface damp inviting insects and fungal growth, or higher soil compacting, or that you have to choose between either not enough fertilizer or adding an amount that causes too high a concentration and burns the roots. Also if not adding all the required micronutrients, less soil equals less available all else being equal.

Thanx Dave ! I really need to use bigger pots next season as some of the problems that you mention are appearing in my greenhouse, with multiple plants in one pot so having less space.

Back