• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Flowers not creating pollen?

Okay, I'll make this short and to the point.

My 2nd year Brainstrain (the oddball from last year that grew 2 plants from a single seed) is now a 4 foot tall monster, but for some unknown reason it is not producing pollen at all.

I cut back on the nitrogen 3 weeks ago now, it's covered in flowers, but checking each with a cue-tip none of them have been producing any pollen. Over-watering isn't an issue (I've actually been bringing it inside to avoid storms), and its definitely not over-feeding or temps. Is there anything I may be missing here?

Have you checked the pH of the soil? Also, you said you cut back on the nitrogen, but what else are you feeding it and how much nitrogen is continuing? You said you're moving it, so it's got to be in a pot. Are you using a packaged potting soil, or something you amended? How much sunlight is the plant getting - is it in a sunny window when you bring it indoors, and while outside is it in sun or shade? Chile plants need at least 6 hours of sunlight daily. And how big is the pot? When you overwintered it (either at the beginning or end of the cold season) did you pull it out of the pot, give it a pruning then repot with fresh soil?

Somewhat off topic but thats badass you got two plants out of one seed. This happened to me this year with a red manzano. I wanted to post about it but figured no one would believe me without pictures.

my overwintered scotch bonnet did this for a while, I changed the soil, whether that made a diff I don't know, but the scotch bonnet still isn't happy, it's growing pods but tiny heatless ones!!

moosery said:
my overwintered scotch bonnet did this for a while, I changed the soil, whether that made a diff I don't know, but the scotch bonnet still isn't happy, it's growing pods but tiny heatless ones!!
Sounds like the plant is very stressed. What kinds of temps in your area, and how wet is it staying? I'd suggest that you give it doses of hydrogen peroxide for the next few waterings - 1 cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide to a gallon of water. Also, have you checked for mites, aphids and other bugs? You'll need a jeweler's loupe of at least 30x to see some mites. Mites and aphids can inject chemicals into plant cells as they feed. Often the effects are seen as twisted new growth, but the entire plant can suffer as well. 

My overwintered 7 Pot Brown did this as well.  It had very lush green growth, and plenty of flowers, but they just wouldn't set pods.  I didn't panic, and just let her take her time, and she has now started setting pods, and quite a few at that.  If the plant looks healthy, and you are sure that you still don't have too much nitrogen going into it, then I'd say it's only a matter of time before it starts to set pods.  Just sit back and let her come along on her own pace.  

Where's willard at?  We need your list!

geeme said:
Sounds like the plant is very stressed. What kinds of temps in your area, and how wet is it staying? I'd suggest that you give it doses of hydrogen peroxide for the next few waterings - 1 cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide to a gallon of water. Also, have you checked for mites, aphids and other bugs? You'll need a jeweler's loupe of at least 30x to see some mites. Mites and aphids can inject chemicals into plant cells as they feed. Often the effects are seen as twisted new growth, but the entire plant can suffer as well. 

You're right - it's more than stressed, it's a mess. It had broad mites last year, it was the only plant I overwintered as it did recover well and bear fruit, but its roots must have rotted over winter too, it just never dries the soil out even after a month - seriously. It's not a happy plant. I'm just leaving it be because I think messing with it is making it worse, it does seem to be getting better slowly.
Flip side, this year's plants are all happy!  :dance:

Oddly enough, the very next day a new flower opened up producing pollen. I used that flower to pollinate the non-producing flowers, and things are now doing their job properly. 

Never realized it takes an over-wintered plant a bit longer to wake up than it seems.

Also hogleg, yeah, it surprised me as well. A lot of people told me to pull the second one, but I let them both do their thing. Now both are ~4 foot tall, and while one is clearly thriving more than the other they are both monsters. Gonna pot it up to a 7 gallon pot in the next few weeks and see how big she can really get. 

Back