• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue?
    Then ask in Identification.

flowers to fruit

I picked all of my green pods off per a certain Canadians advise. Hopefully give the plant a chance to breath and mature a little more. Two were poblanos and I picked them all off and it had began to set new fruit which I will let go. The others were two jalapenos that had been fully grown for 3 weeks without a hint of red to them.....plucked them as well and will see what the next batch does. Still early, and the heat has been intense here and put a lot of stress of them. A lot of blossom drop.

Ive had a little blossom drop here in my neck of the woods in NC, but not terrible.
I know my Serrano's have turned nice and dark green. I can probably eat them soon. Im not scrimpin' on everything else. Just gonna have to be a patient mofo...

YEah my jalapenos were short and bushy anyway. Only about a foot and a half tall. Theyve grown a little more quickly the past few days. Heat is back so I fully expect a slow down again.

i have a question regarding unripe pods:
if i pick up an unripe pod and wrap it with newspaper until it turns red, does the seeds inside the pod becomes viable for planting?

Pods will ripen after being picked but I don't think that seeds will develop any further. I don't know about the newspaper, but try the paper bag trick with or without a banana or tomato. The ethylene gas will speed up ripening

Pods will ripen after being picked but I don't think that seeds will develop any further. I don't know about the newspaper, but try the paper bag trick with or without a banana or tomato. The ethylene gas will speed up ripening

Waitig for the pod to ripen after it's picked probably might help the odds of germination though. Not sure.

The Paperbag and newspaper trick is pretty much the same thing. The Newspaper wrap thing is a chinese/filipino thing. Been doing it since the 90s. We also stick fruits in sacks of rice to ripen it. For some reason it works.

=)

I seriously doubt that seeds will mature any further after being picked. Ethylene gas will speed up ripening to color(as well as rotting) but a ripe banana or tomato will greatly speed things up since peppers don't produce tonnes of ethylene themselves

And back to flowers to fruit------Okay, now that I've finally got all my peppers in the proper pots, what ferts should I be using for flowering and fruiting? The Schultz's or whatever I am using I know is not designed for that. What should I get?

Get something with a low first number, moderate middle number and a low to moderate last number. Something like 2-6-4 would be great. These are the NPK numbers which I'm sure you already know. Nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. Phosphorus is what the plants need to produce buds, flowers and ultimately peppers.

This is from my Costa Rica Red Habanero; Hand pollinated the first flowers on Feb. 15th. Harvested the first pod on March 28th and the next 3 pods (my avatar) 2 days later. Cheers.

I stick with a balanced fertilizer all season long and never use flowering/bloom nutrients. Chiles will continue to grow, flower, and fruit at the same time and don't really need the high phosphorous

Back