• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fluorescent light plug set

Hey all,
Just came into ownership of two 2 foot, 2 bulb, T5 Lithonia fixtures last night. (I believe they're these) I'm planning on using them to replace my current seed starter light and then continue with some basil, lettuce, etc.. I'm new to the indoor game and from what I've been reading, these are strong enough for seeds, lettuce, herbs, etc. But how far along could plants get under something like this? Are these strong enough to continue a pepper plant producing through winter, or is it just strong enough to keep plants alive through the winter months?

They're supposed to be wired directly to power, but figured I can just rig it up to some plugs. In the name of not wasting time/money or endangering myself, something like this should work fine, right? 

Besides that, I was going to pick up some 6400K T5 bulbs to replace the soft white ones that are currently in them. I've heard alternating soft white and 6400K bulbs is good. Does that provide a better spectrum of light, or would all 6400K be better?

Sorry for all the questions, I read the stickies on lighting and whatnot and still think I'd feel better with getting it clarified by the experts (you all).

Thank you!

Also, it seems they're 14W fixtures, I'm guessing 24W 6400K bulbs wouldn't work properly. Is this correct? I know overlamping incandescent bulbs can overheat them, I'm just not familiar with it's effects on fluorescent.

you can only fit one large plant, or a couple small plants under it i'd say, but yes it could continue flowering. it will bring lettuce/herbs all the way through to harvest easy.
coverage is 1' x 2'

yes you can just slap a plug on it.

cool white or daylight is best, softwhite is not good, don't need to alternate.

At the very least use a power strip or surge protector, don't just plug straight into the wall.
A little caution saves a lot of grief.... just sayin

Hawaiianero said:
At the very least use a power strip or surge protector, don't just plug straight into the wall.
A little caution saves a lot of grief.... just sayin

Absolutely! The whole thing will be via a surge protector. 

I use 6500K T8's and the seedlings do great. I'm not sure if a 24w bulb can be used in this fixture. Some ballasts allow a range of wattage, some it will be damaged. It might say on the ballast itself.  You have the right idea on the cord but 3' is pretty short. Buy a cheap extension cord and use the male end with however long you want the cord. You are only drawing approx  .12a which is nothing. Most bargain priced extension cords are 16ga and can handle up to 13a if 25' long or less. I would spend a couple of dollars and buy the metal cable clamp pictured in the link you provided to provide a strain relief at the fixture. Lowes, Home Depot, Menards all carry them. Cost $1-$2.  Not sure why a surge protector would be needed. A florescent fixture is one of the last things in your house that will be affected by voltage spikes or surges. 

WichitaChief said:
I use 6500K T8's and the seedlings do great. I'm not sure if a 24w bulb can be used in this fixture. Some ballasts allow a range of wattage, some it will be damaged. It might say on the ballast itself.  You have the right idea on the cord but 3' is pretty short. Buy a cheap extension cord and use the male end with however long you want the cord. You are only drawing approx  .12a which is nothing. Most bargain priced extension cords are 16ga and can handle up to 13a if 25' long or less. I would spend a couple of dollars and buy the metal cable clamp pictured in the link you provided to provide a strain relief at the fixture. Lowes, Home Depot, Menards all carry them. Cost $1-$2.  Not sure why a surge protector would be needed. A florescent fixture is one of the last things in your house that will be affected by voltage spikes or surges. 

Awesome information, thank you! I was looking to get the 3' one because I'll be attaching a power strip to the side of my shelving unit where they'll plug in. I'm trying to keep it somewhat "clean"... the less things for me to trip over, the better.

I looked at the ballast this morning and it had three different wattages listed for bulb models on it; the highest being 28w. It came with 14w bulbs. Would it matter if I used 24w bulbs although that isn't specifically listed? Sorry for all the questions, I figure it's better to be safe than sorry though.

Power strips  are handy. I have a timer controlling the 2 strips my lights are plugged into. I am no expert but if the ballast will work with 28w bulbs you'd think 24w bulbs should be ok.

Back