Focus Group Offer: Seeds for Opinions

I recently found out that I am going to have no start up money when it comes time to start my seeds for next season. I have come up with a possible plan to raise the capital needed, but I need to know there will be sufficient interest and market value before I commit to it. In return for your opinions on this matter, I'm offering seeds for black pearls and my Vietnamese mysteries to the first ten people to post their answers here and PM me with their address. If you don't want the seeds, but want to air your opinions anyway, feel free and enjoy my gratitude.

I'm considering offering the chance to speculate on my 2013 growing season. In return for a small specified investment, you would get one SFRB from my garden (see list below) before I harvest any for myself. You could either choose one variety or mix and match as you like. First invested would get first choice. Multiple investments are acceptable and encouraged. If your choice becomes unavailable, I'll give the option to wait for more to come in or pick from something else. Your preferences at time of investment are welcome as they will help determine how much of which plants will be needed to fill boxes. Superhots will be isolated, but will be grown from OP seed unless otherwise specified. I plan to remain organic as much as possible. I would keep a detailed photo rich GLOG so that you can keep an eye on your investment.

In interest of disclosure, there are no guarantees. As with any speculative investment there is innate risk involved. Late investors may not get their first choice, some plants may prove unfruitful, pests do happen, or, god forbid, Mama Nature may decide to run me over the coals and kill everything. (Fear of that last one just sent me out into a storm to hug a tree.)

1. Would you be interested in an offer like this?
2. How much would you be willing to invest per box?
3. How many boxes would you be willing to invest?
3. What concerns would prevent you from investing?
4. What additional information would you need before investing?
5. What, if any, plants not listed below would help you decide to invest?
6. How frequently would you expect progress updates?
7. Any other questions, comments, thought or opinions are apreciated

Preliminary grow list for 2013
Arledge
Black pearl
Bhut Jolokia(isolated)
Bhut jolokia Red
Cherry tomato
Early Girl Tomato
Cucmber
Cumari
Aji Omnicolor
Sangria
Scarlett Lantern
Tepin
Zavory mild habanero
Orange Hab
Loka tomato
Mako Kokoo
Mako Akokosrade
Mako Akolewabi
Garden eggs
Guinea green pepper
Trinidad 7pot Douglah Brown
Aji Chombo
Pimientinos
Tobasco

Thank you.
-Gerry

For those interested in more info regarding the Vietnamese mysteries:

http://thehotpepper....ppers-ripening/

http://thehotpepper....ng-the-mystery/

Edit: The Vietnamese peppers have been identified as a privately bred and stabilized strain. They have recently been named Nhu's peppers for the young woman who brought them to the USA from her family garden in Vietnam.

Startup money??
Really?????
Seeds, dirt, a couple dozen pots and a few fluorescent's for early starting?

If you are seriously attempting to start a "business", a much more detailed prospectus is in order to tempt investors.

Not a business, but superhot seeds go in right after Christmas, my budget for this year is gone, and my wife already told me no unless I can find a way to raise money for that purpose. Seeds I've got thanks to the generosity of THP members, but supplies, lighting, equipment not so much. I know it sounds stupid at this point, but I'm offering my meager trade stock for opinions. This is not an offer to speculate, just a feeler to get people's opinions of the concept and how to make it feasible. My other alternative is sell powder from orange habs and the mystery peppers, but I'm just now beginning to harvest due to my extremely late start this year. Who know's? Maybe there's more demand for the powders that I realize.

1. Would you be interested in an offer like this? yes
2. How much would you be willing to invest per box? if a full box how about 11.00 bucks
3. How many boxes would you be willing to invest? first box 11.00 bucks and 6-00 bucks for 2 or more
3. What concerns would prevent you from investing? not keeping us updated or false statments
4. What additional information would you need before investing? when the peppers are ripe and what sizes
5. What, if any, plants not listed below would help you decide to invest? a more diverse type (rare and unusuale)
6. How frequently would you expect progress updates? every 2 weeks
7. Any other questions, comments, thought or opinions are apreciated. N/A

I don't need seeds, but I will provide an opinion. If your planning on selling here you should widen your superhot variety, which I think you were planning on doing already. I think trying to sell on here will not meet your expectations especially with the expected sellers for next year, which if you pay close attention to the forum ads you will see who they are. If you planning to sell to cover expenses it would depend on what specifically you would be using as in fertilizers and if are you also including utlilties into your expenses. Like you said unexpected disasters can happen and once it does I sure people that may expect something and lose out may not be willing to invest the following year if neccessary, so hopefully you have a back up plan set up for example have container and in ground with container plants being your safety net. While it great to make a few bucks to cover the expenses you would probably get leftover bidders like robert stated 11 dollars or 15 dollars per box, so first you need to figure out expenses then the amount of investors your willing to let participate you have to set a limit otherwise you might end up giving your whole harvest away just to cover the expenses for that year. Some companies do a setup amount for investing for example $10 get you a SFRB first harvest or $25 gets you a MFRB and so on you have to make it interesting enough for the investor to take the risk. Powders is good way to approach things, but do expect for some people that are not able to sell pods due to the bigger sellers to start shifting over to powders as well. I am not sure if that provided you with enough information I am sure one of the companies may provide better information than I did. Good luck

1. Would you be interested in an offer like this? Yes
2. How much would you be willing to invest per box? 10-15 dollars depending on quality
3. How many boxes would you be willing to invest? One initially.
3. What concerns would prevent you from investing? Fear of not getting my box. Which is why I would only buy one.
4. What additional information would you need before investing? ETA
5. What, if any, plants not listed below would help you decide to invest? they all seem good to me.
6. How frequently would you expect progress updates? weekly or every two weeks.
7. Any other questions, comments, thought or opinions are apreciated

1. Would you be interested in an offer like this?Depends, probably not because I have a garden of my own. May well though depending on how things over winter... I'm out of state from it, and dependent on others to help.
2. How much would you be willing to invest per box? If it helps, early season boxes from my FL garden were going for 25-30$
3. How many boxes would you be willing to invest? likely no more than 1
3. What concerns would prevent you from investing? There are always people available with boxes of peppers.
4. What additional information would you need before investing? I would want to know who I'm investing in. I don't really know you to be honest. Though I do recognize your screen name.
5. What, if any, plants not listed below would help you decide to invest?Orange Hab all the way... Just kidding... i have 450 varieties... though there are a few on your list that I don't yet have.
6. How frequently would you expect progress updates?perhaps weekly?
7. Any other questions, comments, thought or opinions are apreciated. Its probably better for you to get a garden going, sell the pods, and then use that money for start-up... Rather than an investment model... Not sure, others may feel differently.

Also vietnamese mix please :)

Back