• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

for Patrick and Silver Surfer

One of the thing that got me hear and convinced to grow peppers is a bunch of Aji Limon pepper powder Patrick sent me last year (careful, he's a pusher, he'll get you hooked!)

But my newbie efforts did not result in large quantities of Aji Limon peppers, as I'd hoped. Thanks to him and Silver Surfer, I now have some "Lemon Drop" pepper powder, which I dont think is the same beastie, though its very good- just milder in heat. Tonight I made something I'm really pleased with, so I thought I'd share (eventually, Patrick, I will convince you that hot and sweet go together).

I steamed a sweet potato, and added about a teaspoon of bacon fat, a heaping teaspoon or two of brown sugar, a pinch of salt, some good fresh shavings of nutmeg and some vigorous shakings of the lemon drop pepper shaker. This was just yummy!

Hope you two will try this!

Hey Celeste,

are the Aji Limon similar or the same as the Lemon Drops? We tried the Lemon Drop pods recently and they are on the grow list for next year for sure! Lovely peppers. But not sure if they are the same as the aji limon or other aji's???

We had some Aji Amarillo that were a total bust and an Aji Chinchi which was a mystery pepper from heaven.

Glad to see you post, hope all is well!

How did your plants do this summer? Are you back to school this fall?

and the recipe sounds delish! The flavor is right there. I like squash/hot/curry/soup type dishes. Haven't worked with sweet potatoes a whole lot, but I can see how it would work---

Ann

That sounds delicious Celeste and will have to give this a go soon. Glad you liked the powder.

I don't believe the AJI LEMON DROP and the AJI LIMON are the same pepper. They are similar and both C. baccatum, but as Celeste mentioned the Limon is a hotter. I grew them both this season and the Lemon Drop produced far more and much larger pods than the Aji Limon.

I know that the powder I got from Patrick does not taste the same as the powder I got from Silver Surfer. I have know way to know if they are different peppers, either in species or variety (plant taxonomy still confuses me) or if the difference is a matter of different seasons, growing conditions, etc.

Salsa Lady - I
've been lurking. I keep not taking the time to upload pics of my plants. my goofy scorpions decided to start producing peppers after our first cold spell we had at the beginning of october (just above freezing) when the temps warmed up into the 80's again. the past couple of weeks I've been dragging all the ones with peppers on them inside on cold nights, and then putting them back out again...the weather's been roller coaster here- I do have finally a ripe Aji! and a whole bunch of habs and I hope the scorpions will ripen. I'll try to update my thread soon!

I'm a fan of sweet spuds so I may have to give this a shot. I did a butternut squash at Mom's a couple weeks ago that was cooked with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon and it screamed for a shake of the pepper shaker but I'm afraid I didn't have it with me. I know for shame.

Thanks for the tip Celeste and thanks to the rest of you for the nice comments.

Back