• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Forget the shills I need a soil answer.

I have been trying to find a good soil for me, one that I can obtain locally, and one that is within my budget. I am currently using some Jungle Growth and Fox Farm Ocean Forrest. In my raised beds I have a mixture of earth grow top soil, soil conditioner, humus and manure, all tilled in with the regular heavy clay soil in my beds. Fox Farm has been wonderful but its high dollar. The Jungle Growth is good too. I recently found some Baccto soil locally. I keep looking up info but I find a lot of shills giving reviews and I don't really want to frequent the illicit growing sites. What can you guys tell me about Jungle Growth and Baccto? I need several bags but I simply can not afford 15 dollars a bag for Fox Farm. Should I consider mixing them together?

I used Jungle Growth with good results,  being I have 400+  plants I had to start making my own soil.  Jungle Growth  worked just fine for me before the plant boom!

i use the jungle growth professional mix for my potted plants, works great. price isn't too bad at 8 bucks for a big bag. 

if you're filling raised beds, i'd consider mixing your own soil. it'll be a lot cheaper. there's a great soil thread in the growing forum

I think I am going to pick up some more jungle growth then. Any experience with Baccto? I have my superhots growing in jungle and tomatoes in fox farm. It is time to transplant some tomatoes to their final pots and I need to know the soil is good.

birdfather said:
+1 on armac's statement. there is TONS of growing info on cannabis growing forums, that is freely available. don't let your OCD keep you from that wealth of knowledge.
Definitely agree, their "pods" sell for $50 an eighth so they know their soil. Plus their grow pics look awesome whether or not you like weed. 

Another vote for Jungle Growth.   I am also a big fan of adding in Black Cow composted manure (you can't really overdo it with this) and in my area about 3 pounds of powdered garden lime per 100sq.ft. to get the soil ready for the year.  When planting and after plants go in the ground I add worm castings to the holes and over the surface for more slow release feeding.

So much good info here. I guess I do need to go read some weed. I like jungle growth so far. I picked up some more bags along with some more fox farm. I recently transplanted. The fox farm and jungle growth mixture I got from transplanting... Its half spent but I dumped some of my compost tea into it, stirred it up, and now I am going to let it dry out and re use it.

Back