• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Forum Debate: Are you For or Against GMO?

I am:

• Total voters
Another thing about GMO. Is these scientist still don't fully understand the genetic codes. This string in one location does this. I'm another location it does this and then there are gene switches. We may have sequenced the entire gene of said plant/animal. But I do not think they fully understand how this sequence or that sequence when applied differently than God made it will work. As I said earlier. Hybridizing is one thing but when you go mixing plant with animal with insect DNA you're playing with fire. Sure instances like insulin is a good thing. Lord knows I use the heck out if it at work, but spider silk in goats milk? Really? I've heard tail of a corn strain growing live HIV virus for research being open planted and its crossed with other nearby corn. Now I haven't researched this myself. So with that in mind go easy with the replies.

AlabamaJack said:
man, you don't have to eat it if you don't want to and my statement about the USDA was NOT sarcasm...this organization has been around since 1862 thanks to Lincoln...and I do trust them....

are you sure you are not confusing the FDA with the USDA?
Maybe so.. Its one of those government organizations. They are all run by the same government individuals. I'm hard pressed to trust any of them.

We know what the genetic code does enough to use it right. And corn couldn't produce a live HIV virus because the virus isn't stable by any means. Most of the ones you'd get are junk, and it would take systems the corn doesn't have. Besides, it's not like there's a shortage of those things. And individual genes won't make much difference as long as they don't break another one up, in which case it's almost 100% likely to kill whatever was modified, not make it dangerous to anything else. Most modifications to a cell will cause it to shut down or be killed by the other ones. I've heard of spider silk in goats, and I don't think it feasible. Mixing genes from plant to insect isn't any more different than mixing between two plants. A human is 33% daffodil for example, and insects are slightly moreso.

actually there was maize/corn that was genetically modified to express a protein from the simian form of HIV,  not the actual virus itself . this was for research into an edible vaccine.   this is an old article from 2002 so I am not sure if anything else has been down with this. Fear of the unknown is the big motivator in fear of GMO, throw in the words HIV and 99% will go off the deep end without even trying to read and understand the hows and whys of the research.  

"Maize genetically modified to contain a key protein found on the surface of the monkey form of HIV has been created by US company ProdiGene"  http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2161-edible-hiv-vaccine-breakthrough.html#.U9wrKxHxTnI

queequeg152 said:
i want to see a GMO corn cultivar produced... for the sole purpose of making bad ass corn cob pipes.
Will do. That would mean giant cobs, right? Or do you need weird colors?

Scoville DeVille said:
I would like to see us humans start with keeping the cow shit (e. coli) off of the food we don't modify.

Once we have proven we can keep fresh Spinach free of cow shit (e. coli) then let's modify some stuff.

But alas... there are too damm many people on the planet already.

Two great points. The E. coli analogy is an apt illustration of our species' ability to do great things, just not very well. If corporations don't have the ability / desire to do something as simple as produce food that doesn't contain poop, why in the christ should we trust them to have our best interests in mind when creating GMOs? Selling food with poop on it (and paying settlements to victims) is far cheaper than selling non poisonous food. It's as simple as that. 
     Second, are Scov and I the only ones who understand that creating GMOs in the hopes of feeding all humans will only create more starving humans? I think we should take a look at what the Haber-Bosch process has done to curb starvation.  :rofl: As long as people continue to reside and multiply prolifically in areas unable to support a large human population, more food will only lead to more people - a proportion of whom will always be doomed to starve. 

alkhall said:
No option to be neutral?

No vote from me, then.

There's a reason there's no neutral choice. Read the first words of the topic: FORUM DEBATE. You can't stay NEUTRAL in a DEBATE. Pick a side hahaha. I'm not trying to be a dick, honestly. Just bustin on ya :)

jb_orchidguy said:
GMO is bad no matter how you cut it. Hybridization is not the same as GMO and cannot be lumped togethet with it. The stuff is bad and there is a reason there are people against it. The deal is we don't know what foods its in because the companies are either A. too greedy or B. Just don't care. People don't have a problem with getting the insulin the way they do. But when you have a corn that can produce its own pesticide, how can that be food for someone?

I know I'm a newbie here but trusting the USDA is a scary thing. IDK if this was meant to be sarcasm or not, bit this is the same organization that approved aspartame after three goes and they did it by adding panel members to the approval process till they passed it with the director breaking the tie. BTW he was good friends with Donnald Rumsfeld CEO of the original company trying to sell aspartame. That stuff is bad bad bad for you. They also approved drugs like lipator. BTW I'm a cardiac nurse and despise giving the statins. I don't trust half these big drug companies much less our government or big Agra. There are many many many more reasons not to trust any one of them besides GMO.
Aspartame at our current exposure is not bad for you. This was the pseudoscience that I was talking about earlier. Yes some will be converted to harmful toxins such as methanol but it is the amount that is critically important and is overlooked by many. You will get plenty of methanol from eating an apple should we ban apples? No of course not because it is the level of exposure that is important.

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/press/news/131210.htm

And to the comment that scientists are being bought by Monsanto is more BS. Monsanto is small fry compared to the oil industry lobby and even they can't get the worlds scientists to hide the fact that our use of fossil fuels is causing global warming but we are being asked to believe that Monsanto is able to bribe every scientist into producing evidence to suggest that it is not harmful? Come on!

Study after study is showing that GMOs are not harmful because they are not harmful not because some giant conspiracy.

Nova said:
sources please G.
Untrue. I know several girls below 100lb. Might be in general though. 

Edit: And buying scientists is one of the hardest things you can do. Most scientist aren't in the job for the money, and they know that they get paid enough to live on for the truth. You can bribe one or two, but science gets done by what the majority says.

Aspartame at our current exposure is not bad for you. This was the pseudoscience that I was talking about earlier. Yes some will be converted to harmful toxins such as methanol but it is the amount that is critically important and is overlooked by many. You will get plenty of methanol from eating an apple should we ban apples? No of course not because it is the level of exposure that is important.

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/press/news/131210.htm

And to the comment that scientists are being bought by Monsanto is more BS. Monsanto is small fry compared to the oil industry lobby and even they can't get the worlds scientists to hide the fact that our use of fossil fuels is causing global warming but we are being asked to believe that Monsanto is able to bribe every scientist into producing evidence to suggest that it is not harmful? Come on!

Study after study is showing that GMOs are not harmful because they are not harmful not because some giant conspiracy.

Global warming is a cycle. Its not sped up or whatever they want to call it by fossil fuels.

Aspartame will turn into formaldehyde and is unstable above 80 something degrees. Its what cause thengilf war sickness back in then first gulf war. Many doctors will tell you the same thing and that's why people with migraines shouldn't drink aspartame. Let's nit even mention all the miriad of other health issues it causes. And the story of how it took three tries to get it approved I about there. I've found it a couple of times. It should never have been approved.

GMO is the same way. As I said before not all of it is bad, but they are playing with fire and there are some that's not good. One day the chimera we make will turn around and bite us.

Untrue. I know several girls below 100lb. Might be in general though. 

Edit: And buying scientists is one of the hardest things you can do. Most scientist aren't in the job for the money, and they know that they get paid enough to live on for the truth. You can bribe one or two, but science gets done by what the majority says.

Scientists want funding for their work. And I can make any study look like I want based on what the pocket book says and it also goes hand in hand with interpretation sometimes and how studies are conducted. Its not a black and white endeavour.
We know what the genetic code does enough to use it right. And corn couldn't produce a live HIV virus because the virus isn't stable by any means. Most of the ones you'd get are junk, and it would take systems the corn doesn't have. Besides, it's not like there's a shortage of those things. And individual genes won't make much difference as long as they don't break another one up, in which case it's almost 100% likely to kill whatever was modified, not make it dangerous to anything else. Most modifications to a cell will cause it to shut down or be killed by the other ones. I've heard of spider silk in goats, and I don't think it feasible. Mixing genes from plant to insect isn't any more different than mixing between two plants. A human is 33% daffodil for example, and insects are slightly moreso.

I've seen the spider silk in goats milk on video on the news. Chimera. Will bite back.

obeychase said:
There's a reason there's no neutral choice. Read the first words of the topic: FORUM DEBATE. You can't stay NEUTRAL in a DEBATE. Pick a side hahaha. I'm not trying to be a dick, honestly. Just bustin on ya :)
Or, perhaps the third option of not having an opinion because of lack of knowledge or familiarity with the evidence would allow one to stay neutral, rather than just choosing one of the extremes?

Maybe I could say I am for modifying some organisms, but against modifying others? Which side have I chosen? Both?

jb_orchidguy said:
Global warming is a cycle. Its not sped up or whatever they want to call it by fossil fuels.

mmm.

jb_orchidguy said:
Scientists want funding for their work. And I can make any study look like I want based on what the pocket book says and it also goes hand in hand with interpretation sometimes and how studies are conducted. Its not a black and white endeavour.
I've seen the spider silk in goats milk on video on the news. Chimera. Will bite back.

cool so, scientists have no integrity.

neither does the peer review process.

neither do the myriad folks repeating  studies

and spider silk in milk = impending doom?

what exactly is frightening you? goat spiderman? 

cruzzfish said:
Who's still arguing about that?
it was in the other gmo thread. needs to be in this one as well.

OK.  That's for the other thread that later turned into a debate, then got forgotten about: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/45361-the-global-warming-lie/

Don't you know? Goat spiderman would be terrifying. Picture this in real life: http://www.goat-simulator.com/
And how does this guy not get that once the study is done, the scientist doesn't care about money from the scource. They don't want money from the GMO company, they get it by selling science journals and stuff. The company will pay the scientist to do a study for them, and once it's done, then he releases whatever he finds. He doesn't need money after that, just for the journal to listen to him. The GMO company either owns the results, in which case they can withhold them, or they don't in which case the scientist says the truth of whatever he found.

OK.

Edit: And so what if aspartame becomes formaldehyde. Salt becomes elemental sodium and elemental chlorine, which are much more toxic. Small dose of stuff isn't going to kill you. The methanol is less than what you get from a beer, and if you look around on the internet you'll that it's mostly harmless. No more than taking a deep breath in LA at least.

I am for GMO,  but I do not like the patent laws that has screwed so many farmers.  I also believe that GMO should labels should be available on all products involved.  I also strongly don't want GMO to wash out all other varieties of vegetation.  It's important to preserve all the heirloom varieties and what not.  I do not buy into the idea that GMOs are causing more instances of cancer or modifying peoples bodies and what not.  I'm not an expert, just my opinions.

Physics202 said:
I am for GMO,  but I do not like the patent laws that has screwed so many farmers.  I also believe that GMO should labels should be available on all products involved.  I also strongly don't want GMO to wash out all other varieties of vegetation.  It's important to preserve all the heirloom varieties and what not.  I do not buy into the idea that GMOs are causing more instances of cancer or modifying peoples bodies and what not.  I'm not an expert, just my opinions.
regarding the cross pollination concerns.

just think for a minute. we have been modifying plants by selective breeding for millenia ostensibly. why dont these plants escape the loose confines of the tilled field, and take over, and destroy every wild variety?

because they were not breed for natural selection, they were breed to cooperate with humanity.

gmo plants are no different.... what advantage would a gmo cotton plant have in the wild? what selective pressure would the bt protein defeat? what selective pressure would the glyphcosate resistant varieties defeat?

contamination of heirlooms? What is different from gmo plants exactly, that you think they will somehow be better at cross pollinating other breeds than any of the other non gmo breeds that have existed for hundreds of years.

plants grown for seed, are grow in isolation for a reason. what makes you think gmo plants have any effect on any other variety what so ever. i just dont understand these arguments.

He's probably saying that because of costs to make GMO stuff, people won't modify all of the heirloom varieties, and because gmo is easier/more benificial to grow, then it will dominate the market and there won't be any of the natural plants left. I don't think it will be an issue.

Back