"Found" a 44 Gallon Drum

bent, you got that smoker working yet?

btw - you can get smoker chips at BBQs Galore and camping goods stores, though I recommend checking out local timber merchants/carpenters/'people who make stuff out of real timber' and see if you can't get some freebies. even if you get a piece of solid would you could always get yourself an old plane or rough file and make your own sawdust/shavings.

xgrafcorex said:
...you could also go to a store that sells grill/smokers and look at them carefully to try to get some ideas on specific ideas you might want to include.

post pics of your progress. would love to see how it all comes together.

Wish there was a store graf - this city is so backward on all that stuff that best I can do is look at pics on the forum.

Will post pics so you can see true professionals in action :)

chilliman64 said:
btw - you can get smoker chips at BBQs Galore and camping goods stores, though I recommend checking out local timber merchants/carpenters/'people who make stuff out of real timber' and see if you can't get some freebies. even if you get a piece of solid would you could always get yourself an old plane or rough file and make your own sawdust/shavings.

I took a look at the local BBQ Galore & they had both kinds of bbq, gas & briquette. I did see some chips down at Bunnings in 1/2 kg bags for ridiculous prices, and spotted some smokers in a camping place that were big enough to fit a few prawns in. Lots of lumber yards about though, I'll go raid one for scraps.

------------------

I have been seeing these offset fireboxes for the smokers - how does that "pipe" in to the cooking area?

So heres the pics so far:

Busy week doing nerd stuff so went down the road & picked this hooded beast up for $99.

image001br7.jpg

Im going to quick hitch the legs on it tomorrow so I can remove the base & cart it around in the van when needed. Also try to track down a thermometer I can drill into the lid. I stuck my dehydrator thermo in there to see what temp it gave on full open...it looked good -

image002ic1.jpg

Isn't it amazing what can happen when you have a project & its 50C in the shed :lol: Still going to do the drum, at least now I can eat while putting it together. :cool:

won't be long and you'll be making smoked nerd ribs and smoked beef jerky and smoked salmon and smoked cheese and smoked chicken and smoked duck etc...

Sorry I thought it was coal :oops:

Still will work great for ya.

Make sure you have enough propane... Im sure you have enough gassssssssss.....

my kitchen stove runs off bbq bottles too...i have 3 spares in the shed.

I bought a few chooks today, will try roasting them in there tomorrow. Looking forward to that.

I've seen them in the Recipe section in here, look great.
I actually saw some purpose made frames down at the bbq show last week for that... $45 ...i pointed, laughed & left. In that order.
Will try a slow roast first, if that works out, I'll get adventurous.

Worked out perfect - after a bit of fiddling I got it humming along at 180 C for two delicious moist crispy skinned chickens.
Might try for a pork leg next w/end. Who's got the lowdown on making crackling. I've heard many techniques but they all seem to only work 2 out of 3 times. Whats the secret?

Back