• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Four-Pepper False Start Glog

While I'm (successfully) growing plenty of herbs at the moment, the important stuff is obviously the peppers... and, since I'm pretty sure I baked the first set of seeds I attempted to germinate due to underestimating the power of my seedling heat mat after moving it into the grow tent, we're calling that a swing and a miss and moving on with Batch #2.

Tomorrow night they'll get the coffee-filter-in-a-baggie treatment and a hopefully-more-comfortable place in a lovely fluffy towel on the mat.

I think I underestimated our growing season. 
lol.gif

Just ground a reasonable batch of pods (the dehydrator pic from before). The red one is choco habs, various red pods, a bit of smoked paprika, and some garlic powder. Last night I used it on some chicken with my green hot sauce as a grill marinade; that came out really well. :)

powders-et-al.jpg

The yellow one is just all the yellow pods I had. It's pretty damn hot. In the background... uh... more pods. There are also more to the left of this picture, which are still waiting to be turned into sauce (CGN 21500 being the focus). In the center are some silica gel beads, which I picked up to dry seeds; I also stuck some in those little bags and screwed them into the powder jars to see if they work this way to keep moisture out. Pretty ghetto!

Speaking of the 21500, it's still healthy -- everything outside is -- and it's got the beginning of some promising bonchi roots going on. Which kind of sucks, because I really hadn't planned on doing that at all, but it seems like kind of a waste... I don't know.

cgn-roots.jpg

And now for something completely different.

My wife likes to do these little dioramas around her plants; she says they're called "fairy houses." I might've posted a picture before, but this one in particular is looking great right now.

wife-stuff.jpg

We have several of these along the front of the house. I love this shit. :)

Powders look great.  If your looking for silica gell to put
in powders and stuff, might I suggest 'Dry n Dry'. They sell
silica beads in 1 gram paper packets, 1000 for about $40US,
including shipping (probably a bit more for Japan). 

https://dryndry.com/collections/silica-gel-desiccant

They sell in sizes from 50 units and up. Don't know if they
ship to Japan, unless you have access to an APO/FPO address.
I could always send you a few.

Mine were shipped in four 250-count heavy duty resealable bags,
so you can open one and store the others. The last I bought
lasted me through 8 seasons.

I like your wife's dioramas. Cool that she is into the gardening
aspect a little.

Looks like the Purple UFO will at least give you some seeds!

Good to see your growing season still carrying on!

PaulG said:
Powders look great.  If your looking for silica gell to put
in powders and stuff, might I suggest 'Dry n Dry'. They sell
silica beads in 1 gram paper packets, 1000 for about $40US,
including shipping (probably a bit more for Japan).

I actually ended up ordering some already. Planning to start drying out seeds today or tomorrow; I have isolated choco hab and lemon drop. Still waiting on the others to ripen.

PaulG said:
I like your wife's dioramas. Cool that she is into the gardening
aspect a little.

Thanks! Yeah, she keeps the whole front of the house decorated. It's nice.

PaulG said:
Looks like the Purple UFO will at least give you some seeds!

Good to see your growing season still carrying on!

Problem is, I don't want seeds from that thing. 
lol.gif
I chopped it down because it seems to be either a cross or a mutant; the pods mature weirdly.

Things are ripening very slowly right now, so I think we're done with the end-of-season blitz. Hopefully I get more of those isolated pods to color up, otherwise I'm going to be stuck saving seeds from open-pollinated peppers. Really hoping to avoid more surprises in future grows here.

I'm guessing I'll start a catch-all ferment when the outdoor plants actually stop producing, but for now, I threw my most neutral hot ones and my Korean peppers in with my CGN 21500's for a fresh vinegar sauce. The flavor is kind of nonexistent, which is disappointing, but it's still good for seasoning.

new-sauce.jpg

Recycling my Pain is Good bottles; it might actually be cheaper to have this shipped over than to buy flask-style bottles here.

Probably nearing the last harvest of the season.

last-dance.jpg

I didn't end up with nearly as many isolated pods as I wanted, which is very disappointing. Going to save some that weren't anyway, just because I'm rapidly losing faith in pretty much my entire stock; nothing wants to germinate at all.  :confused:

On a lighter note, my now-very-pregnant wife was craving sushi last night. I got some squid that just looked perfect, so here you go.

mmm-squid.png

It sure was tasty.

OK, so that clearly wasn't the last harvest of the season. Though things are winding down, most everything has stalled, and I've stopped watering/feeding the outdoor plants. I have a whole lot of unripe Goronong and half-ripe chocolate hab that I'm waiting on, but most everything else should be done.

more-2019.jpg

Left to right: SLR, J Hab x Fatalii F2, CGN 21500 and lemon drop, choco hab, day-glo devil's tongue, and Korean peppers.

My son was born 12/12, and he and my wife will be coming home from the hospital this coming Wednesday, so it's a good time to wrap up maintenance on this season's plants. :)

+1, CD! Here’s to a happy homecoming.
Best wishes to your new family!

Nice little final harvest, btw!

CaneDog said:
Congratulations 'fish!  That's awesome!  Hope everyone's healthy and happy! 

I'm sure you can make use of the extra room you'll create from dealing with the end of season plants.

PaulG said:
+1, CD! Here’s to a happy homecoming.
Best wishes to your new family!

Nice little final harvest, btw!

Thanks, guys! Currently slummin' it hard on the food front while I can still get away with it. Convenience store hamburgers and Hormel pork and beans (which I think my wife bought by accident a long time ago thinking it was just kidney beans). Livin' the high life.  :cool:

Mr.joe said:
Congrats on the baby boy! Oh and peppers look good too

Thanks! My mini Kratky bottles may actually be starting to set fruit, so I'm hoping to have true seeds there soonish. Gotta get something else going; right now the only thing growing as intended in the tent is a pepperoncini plant.

Back