• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fox farm happy frog worth it?

Found a supplier for $12 2CF.. is the soil any good?? Its either that or a organic Fafards brand. Im getting 10 bags just wanna make sure I get the better one. im guessing with the happy frog I wont need to fertalize?? I was trying to shy away from the self feeding soils. Right now im using a organic potting mix w/promix... any feedback is much appreciated

Thanks

If you have the money to blow then i would highly recommend happy frog. What i have been using is happy frog mixed with ocean forrest with worm castings and perlite added to the mix. Great results so far. I am also using Kellogs amend soil as an experiment and you can get twice as much for your money with good results

I'm using FF Ocean Forest in a few potted plants. Seems to be great so far. Didnt think to add some extra perlite to it. Next pot up maybe.

devilswrath said:
I use the ocean forest . But i like the idea of mixing the two together . I'll have to try that.
best of both worlds imo. But its usually same price except OF is 1.5 cf and HF is 2 cf

HeatofMiami, go with what makes sense to you, but $12 for the 2CF bag is a good price for it. If the Ocean Forest is also that cheap then i'd buy both bags and mix them.

Personally i love the stuff, I like it because it's airy and doesn't pack too densely. Atm i have 3 big bags of the Ocean Forest ($10 each!!!) but i still stock up on nutes + manure +  perlite + cheap coco choir + azomite .

For seedling mixes i'll mix in about 1/3 coco choir, 2/3 OF, a little extra perlite and azomite.

In past years I also used Fafard Organics container mix, but this year I went with Ocean Forest which I found for a steal ($4/9cu ft) at Ace Hardware in Atlanta. If I can find a retailer that can at least match the price of Fafard next year, I'll definitely go with Fox Farm again. Once I transplanted from 2-gal to 5-gal this year, I didn't have to feed for almost a month.

First supplier gave me issues. So its $15 a bag.. which isnt that bad.. my problem is I have around 60 plants..im not sure how many I will be able to pot in 7 gals with only 10 bags going 50/50 with promix.

Heatofmiami, is the Promix a lot cheaper for you? If so then maybe wind down the mixture and use 3/4 promix.

You'd have to begin with the nutes a lot sooner, or mix in composted cow manure + extra perlite right off the bat, which will buy you some time.

Oski said:
Its omni approved tho but i believe you
Omri
Look on the bag and see if there is an OMRI symbol on it.
I don't think the OMRI would allow their seal on soil that contains human waste from Los Angeles county.

Funny this subject came up. I started experimenting with Amend, Peat Moss, Sand and Perlite. My Peppers did good in this mix, but I'm always looking for better, but affordable.  I happened to see the Fox Farms Ocean and Happy Frog at the local nursery. I knew some guys had used both on this forum with good results.

Picked up a couple of bags of both, and threw it in my giant wheel barrow that already had lots of my experimental mix in it. All I can say is "wow" I saw a difference in three days. Leaves got greener, plants looked healthier. With that said I might try Kellogg's Patio to thin out the mix instead of the Amend. From what Proud Marine Dad is saying it might be the better choice.  

Back