Fox Farm

Jamison said:
Ocean Forest doesn't need to be cut with anything.  Great soil as is.  If you feel the need to tho,  I'd suggest perlite instead of vermiculite.
I agree when using Ocean Forest use the perlite to lighten it up. But there are cheaper options out there. 

yeah, FFOF is great....imo it does need more perlite but ymmv on that.

funny thing, this year my grandfather in law gave my wife 2 huge ass half barrel sized pots to grow tomatoes in....and he made sure she knew to put a layer of rocks at the bottom. So I didn't have a choice but to do it or risk the wrath of granpa. So I had to! Then I just drilled about 20 extra 3/4 inch holes up and down the sides.

edit: nah no stinking edit needed

Yea I drilled some holes in my 4 gallon pots along the sides, and also on the bottom.  In additioan I added an extra 15% of Perlite to the FFOF.  Its crazy, I was using Miracle Grow and I was watering maybe like 1 time every 2 weeks and when I was repotting them into the Fox Farm the soil towards the bottom of the pot was still Wet.   CRAZY>  I wills end updated pics of the plants, I already see improvements in the leaves and the plant itself!

Update- Ive planted 10 out of the 12 pots from miracle grow to FFOF.  The results have literally been instant.  Not only did they now have more drainage, but also nutrients that want all the way down to the bottom of the pot.  There a couple of pots however that I am questioning in terms of size.  They are 3 gallon pots.  Is that too little?   I live in a townhouse in souther Ca., no yard, just a balcony.  So i try to make due with what I have.  Any suggestions?  Also, when should i fertilize again?  I am thinking maybe 6 weeks?

The bigger the pot the better. Then again you could end up with jungle instead of a balcony. You can always just repot when they have out grown the 3s if you have the room. and yeah the OF should be enuff for six weeks easy. When you do use nutes keep it geared towards bloom

The fert i have is a 6-10-8 o think not so sure.. I will have to look at it.  How will i know if they outgrew the 3s?  Willi t still bear fruit? I have to take pics of the plants.. you guys will see its a 180 difference.

Cayennemist said:
Thanks for that nice little tip! I'ma try that some time.
yeah if anyone would know about container growing it would be mike he's grown like 4000 varieties of peppers in containers!
Proud Marine Dad said:
I don't put anything Emald. Only the aeration amendment in the soil mix whether it be red lava rock, perlite, rice hulls, etc.
I use both red lava rock and perlite, since my mix is very water retentive, as it is made of forest soil, decomposing hardwood and compost!

so i guess the mix i use needs to be changed according to that very informative article, i use limestone screenings with sphagnum peat a little sand and perlite. im going to have to re-think my whole soil mix, darn it.

chile_freak said:
yeah if anyone would know about container growing it would be mike he's grown like 4000 varieties of peppers in containers!
I use both red lava rock and perlite, since my mix is very water retentive, as it is made of forest soil, decomposing hardwood and compost!
I used straight 5/16" red lava rock because it was cheap, it aerates well and it is made of basalt rock which has beneficial minerals for the plants.
It is heavy though and my tomatoes in 17 gallon containers are well over 80 lbs. Four cups of green glacial rock dust per cubic ft of soil adds some weight as well. ;)
magicpepper said:
so i guess the mix i use needs to be changed according to that very informative article, i use limestone screenings with sphagnum peat a little sand and perlite. im going to have to re-think my whole soil mix, darn it.
Use 1/3 compost/ewc, 1/3 sphagnum peat moss and 1/3 aeration amendment (red lava rock, perlite, rice hulls, etc.)

Emald001 said:
The fert i have is a 6-10-8 o think not so sure.. I will have to look at it.  How will i know if they outgrew the 3s?  Willi t still bear fruit? I have to take pics of the plants.. you guys will see its a 180 difference.

The plants will 'know' when they reach the limit of the container.  At that time, growth slows and they start putting more of their effort into flowers and fruit. This limit is not strictly size based - it depends a great deal on the quality of the soil.   With something like OC, those resources limits are going to be fairly high, and the plants will likely get fairly large.

When the soil starts to deplete, use a fert that has trace minerals, just in case.   Check out this guy's awesome plants, growing in 'the cheapest soil' and fed walmart fertilizer. :rolleyes:    http://thehotpepper.com/topic/46355-jutsfl-pepper-glog-2014-first-from-seed-grow/%C2 Some of his containers are 3g, some 5.

Geonerd said:

The plants will 'know' when they reach the limit of the container.  At that time, growth slows and they start putting more of their effort into flowers and fruit. This limit is not strictly size based - it depends a great deal on the quality of the soil.   With something like OC, those resources limits are going to be fairly high, and the plants will likely get fairly large.

When the soil starts to deplete, use a fert that has trace minerals, just in case.   Check out this guy's awesome plants, growing in 'the cheapest soil' and fed walmart fertilizer. :rolleyes:    Some of his containers are 3g, some 5.
What guy???

Gentlemen,  I wanted to show you the pictures of the plants right now... they are about 3 months old but were stunned in growth i think,  At any rate... if you read the beginning of the thread you will see what they looked like before I did the transplant into fox farms.  Also, i had some questions in regards to feeding and aphids.... 1) i have them in 1, 2, 3 gallon containers... when shall i feed again after transplanting.. 2.  how the hell do i get rid of the aphids.. i got this spray its a soapy type spray... but they keep coming back it seems.. especially on new growth.  heres the pics of the new and improved plants. 

http://i.imgur.com/CDgvZhQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/CDgvZhQ.jpg

they look good, personally i feed every two weeks, but some one else might know better, as for aphids, try to catch some ladybugs as they eat aphids. other then that i dont know much on how to get rid of them, i havent had to deal with them yet

Emald001 said:
I'm gonna go buy 1000 of them bad boys... do you think the plants look small/?
have a look at my glog, yours are twice the size of mine, and younger then mine are.  they could be stunted, i know mine are. but once it stops raining and it really gets warm mine should take off, from what i understand over watering can stunt them, being root bound can stunt them. and transplanting them to often can stunt them as well. once yours are in their final homes and not being over watered or infested with aphids they should take off

Back