• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

franks red hot....

Just curious if anyone knows a recipe that comes close to duplicating this? I've seen all the time on the internet for famous restaurant recipes etc. I didn't know if nayone had a good estimate on this 1....

But making your own brings a sense of pride along with it, thus making it taste better. Also, I second looking at Pepper Fool, I saw that there is a basic Cayenne Hot Sauce recipe there that might work.

imaguitargod said:
More over, I am suprised no one has asked this yet. Why in The Almighty Platypus' Green Earth would you want to try to make something as aweful as Frank's Red hot?

Well, if you're going to make hot wings, then this is the sauce to get!

Steve973 said:

If you are going to stay true to the Anchor Bar wings, then yes. Were I to post a pic of fried wings on this forum using Frank's and calling them hot, I do believe my man card would be revoked and I would experience what is known as an internet pimp slap. Ouch!

Salute',TB.

Steve973 said:

I would definitly dissagree. If you want the vinegar wing style, pick up the Original Ancor Bar, they are the ones that originated the style. If you want tasty wings, however, get Defcon Condition 3-1. :lol:

I looked pretty hard but I don't see a copycat recipe. I imagine this is because they give you the exact ingredients. Noting is hidden by terms like "spices" or "natural flavors". It's all there, so just mess with measurements.

thehotpepper.com said:
I looked pretty hard but I don't see a copycat recipe. I imagine this is because they give you the exact ingredients. Noting is hidden by terms like "spices" or "natural flavors". It's all there, so just mess with measurements.

I'm getting some cayenne puree in over the weekend. Ill post my results.

Please keep this thread about cloning Frank's RedHot.

We have an area for promoting your own sauces.

Thanks

Red Hot uses "aged" cayenne peppers so be prepared to ferment a pepper mash.

I have been experimenting with this myself. On July 1 I put up two mason jars of mash to ferment, one jalapeno and one cayenne. The mash should age / ferment at least a month at room temperature. After that the fermentation has slowed or stopped (most sugars used up) and it can go into the fridge (I think another month is good here). You can age them much longer if you wish. I don't want to get too off topic with the mash here so I'll start another thread about that when I have time.

The cayenne mash may needed to be started with some extra brine (water, salt) since cayenne's don't have much moisture in them and water needs to be extracted from them during the process to keep them submerged so the lacto bacteria can work anaerobicly and also so that mold and other baddies don't grow on the surface of the peppers.

After the mash is aged it could be run through a food mill to remove seeds and skins and also (before or after this, or when canning) be cooked to kill the lacto bacteria and stop the fermentation process. If making a Red Hot or Louisianna style sauce add vinegar, etc. Tabasco does this but adds more vinegar than peppers.

If the mash isn't cooked or hot water canned at the right temp then fermentation may occur AFTER canning or bottling thus popping the tops from your jars and spoiling.

rshortt said:
Red Hot uses "aged" cayenne peppers so be prepared to ferment a pepper mash.

I have been experimenting with this myself. On July 1 I put up two mason jars of mash to ferment, one jalapeno and one cayenne. The mash should age / ferment at least a month at room temperature. After that the fermentation has slowed or stopped (most sugars used up) and it can go into the fridge (I think another month is good here). You can age them much longer if you wish. I don't want to get too off topic with the mash here so I'll start another thread about that when I have time.

The cayenne mash may needed to be started with some extra brine (water, salt) since cayenne's don't have much moisture in them and water needs to be extracted from them during the process to keep them submerged so the lacto bacteria can work anaerobicly and also so that mold and other baddies don't grow on the surface of the peppers.

After the mash is aged it could be run through a food mill to remove seeds and skins and also (before or after this, or when canning) be cooked to kill the lacto bacteria and stop the fermentation process. If making a Red Hot or Louisianna style sauce add vinegar, etc. Tabasco does this but adds more vinegar than peppers.

If the mash isn't cooked or hot water canned at the right temp then fermentation may occur AFTER canning or bottling thus popping the tops from your jars and spoiling.

Yep, I've already gone through this and we are using 6 month aged mash :D

Just wanted to update everyone. We recieve the sample of cayenne mash thats been aged 6 months. considering Franks red hot is a simple 5 ingredients, Let me tell you it's not easy to duplicate!!!!

Back