• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors Fraudulent Fish...

I was just reading this article and found it interesting. I rarely eat fish but I know several members do so I figured I would post it.

Nice... Well FDA only cares about the food being healthy enough to eat. On the other side if the fish tastes good I would rather pay $3 a pound I am paying now then have it its DNA tested and it costing $5 a pound.

Thats a really big problem here around Daytona and New Smyrna beach. Lots of fihhouses, some great, but one we like to call Grease Harvest (sea harvest) and they always get busted selling their asain cat fish as grouper... anyone who has ever fished for grouper can tell instantly. plus how can ya get such a small fillet from a legal fish, won't happen. Thats why I like to catch my own fish, so at least I know what I'm eatin and how it was treated.

Wow that's crazy!! I eat a LOT of fish and have never really thought about it being mislabeled. I mean seriously wouldn't they be able to tell the difference once they taste it?? I guess not, but I actually prefer to purchase my fish whole with head on since it's a lot fresher and cheaper.

dr. hebert, in the article has been on local radio discussing the barcode of life project several times, what is neat about the technology, is it can be used to dna peppers and soil. as the technology to do dna testing becomes cheaper and portable, you could identify those "iffy" pepper seeds bought on ebay. in soil, one could detect which microbes are resident in your soil.

i have seen fish mislabeled here but not because the store is trying to cheat the public but due to immigrant workers that speak/read virtually no english. i bought some fish heads & tails scraps for very cheap..... it was mislabeled halibut steaks but them all. halibut is really expensive here but head & tail scraps are almost free. i tried to point the mistake out to a clerk but all i could get was "fish good". so i left with my fish heads & tails. to the other extreme, i have found recalled food products on the shelf, recalled due to ecoli - that one i wasn't leaving the store without the store manager acknowledging that the product was on the shelf and that he was promptly removing the product.

one of the items that burns my butt is relabeling frozen product have has reached its original expiry date.

Back