• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

FREE CAROLINA REAPER SEEDS CONTEST ••••••••CLOSED•••••••••

I HAVE CLOSED THIS CONTEST

I THOUGHT MORE PEOPLE WOULD RESPOND

SORRY

Do to me winning a couple contests and some very generous friends. I will have several Carolina Reaper seeds. (harvested seeds today they need to dry)

Contest = I want to see some stories. Give me your best story! Make me laugh, make me cry, whatever. Short stories , original work please. WRITE, WRITE WRITE. They need not be very long. I hold a degree in English so please don't pull one out of a book (I'll know).

Mention THP in your story.

Mention the Carolina Reaper in your story.

Sorry this contest is limited to the US ONLY Sorry

I need at least 5 contestants for this to be a contest.
--------------------------------------------------------

Contest ends Wednesday October 15th, 2015 at 8am PST

Winner will receive a generous package of Carolina Reaper seeds free of charge.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Buckeye Wars

Where I grew up we were surrounded by foothills. I could walk up my court, turn left, walk about a hundred yards, turn right, and walk another maybe five hundred yards, squeeze through some barbed wire and enter another world. A world canopied by dinner plate sized Buckeye leaves. Not only did these trees provide awesome cover and protection from our many mortal enemies, but they also produced billions of Buckeyes These projectiles, given to us by GOD himself, were the ideal weapon of choice for our little group of neighborhood hoodlums. Our little hands were able to fit perfectly around these little gems and hurl them at speeds exceeding the sound barrier. Luckily they were not lethal. We collected them by the shirt full. By this I mean that we would actually take off out shirts, tie a knot where our head and arms would be, and fill them full of Buckeyes.

The rock fort on top of the hill

We want to be able to see them coming , Bill said as we scoped the area for a good site for our new fort. What I did not quite understand was who, exactly, were these people he thought were going to come after us. I figured it must have been those folks from THP that really wanted some Carolina Reaper seeds. But that, I suppose is another story altogether. The view from up here was really quite awesome. From atop this rock outcropping we could see nearly 180 degrees. The only thing that stood taller than our fort was one young oak tree about as big as my ten year old arms could reach around. I felt like I was on top of the world and therefore invincible to enemy attack. For a 10 year old this was a very good feeling indeed. We really did not have any enemies and there was really no one else around, but the idea that if they did come we would have the vantage point was all that much more comforting. It was really kinda cool. We could lug bits and pieces of wood, that came from scrap piles at construction sites near by, and add on to our Fort. The rocks stuck out from the top of the hill like a castle, our castle. In our minds we were knights defending our castle from our mortal enemies. Week after week we brought up arms full of wood and built on to our castle. The rocks formed a great wall around us on most sides. The wood was used mostly for floor boards and benches. Some ply wood was wedged into a crows nest area for a great standing platform. Had a bow hunter come across our fort he could have used that crows nest as a stand and have quite a vantage point for several hundred yards in all directions. We ought to fill this area with Buckeyes, I suggested pointing to a great place for our armory.

Oak tree blocking our view

The one thing that made this castle less than perfect was that one oak tree that felt it was alright to be taller than us. This, as you might have already imagined, was not acceptable.
After careful thought, about 16 and half seconds, we decided that that tree had to go. Besides it obstructed our view of Folsom Lake. We had tool, heck we had lots of tools, we could take down a little baby oak tree. What we did not realize, however, was that a small hatchet, a small cross saw and a rusty hand saw was not the best choices for arbor-est. We spent the better part of a week hacking and sawing at this little tree. It was about as big around as my ten year old hug and stood taller than our rock castle fort. About this time in my life my dad had thought he was Wyatt Earp and had purchased several hand guns and shot guns that he used to decorate our house. He had a wall display that looked like it was right out of the old west. One of its center pieces was the real lariat that he had given me for a Christmas present after we had been to the Folsom rodeo that very summer. This rope was the one thing that we needed to bring down that tree. I went home and plucked that rope from the center of Dads display and hauled it back to our fort. Bill and I had been hacking and sawing on that poor tree for nearly a week and gotten just about half way through that tree. We took the rope and swung it up into the upper branches. With all of our might we pulled on that rope. It took all we had to get that tree to start rocking. Once the rocking started we began to hear the cracking and creaking that meant that our view was finally about to improve. Luckily there was a smaller outcropping of rocks to my left, because that tree was about to come down. We had not even thought about the fact that the tree had to land and that we were right in its path. Oh shit, we yelled as we heard the final creek and the tree began to fall on us. We both dove for cover just as this several hundred pound tree came to rest around us. Oh my God, we did it. Damn, I wonder if its illegal to cut down an oak tree on someone elses property. He just had to mention that after we cut it down. We spent the next couple months away from our rock castle.

My night of great light

The air is crisp and cool. The smell of autumn leaves burning is so pleasant, and their aroma is intoxicating. Gardens’ all around us are winding down from their long summer production of the fruits of mans labors. Plants are dying back one by one; frost hasn’t struck but soon will cover the ground with a blanket of cold. There is still hope; some of the plants will find new life. They will get their second wind; they will be spared from the compost pile. I cover the plants with blankets to protect them from the cold; I must if I plan to raise them from the earth, which holds them down. All the plants are covered, time to go in for the sun is setting earlier and there is not much light left.

As I warm myself up with hot chocolate, I recall my conversation with my friends in our online chat. Earlier in the day they told me to go to a page called: “The hot pepper” A place where I will find all the information I need on how to gather my plants; the cocoons of fire. I sit down at the computer, clicking and typing, up pops the page, to my amazement and joy, this place is a gold mine of information. I search and find so many threads of those who have already done what I plan to do. The night grows long, I find myself immersed, page after page, thread after thread, people commenting when I search for the clues. Oh my, the chat rooms are filled, information so helpful.  It has become “my night of great light”. I know what I must do. Off to bed, for tomorrow is harvest time. I wrestle in bed trying to sleep, for the information keeps me awake. I lay there staring into the dark thinking what I shall do. The last time I see the clock it is 2:45 am…. Finally rest and peace comes over me!

As the day breaks; the sun begins to shine, I snap out of bed, time to salvage what is left of the garden. In a hurry I skip breakfast, time cannot wait for any man, and neither will my peppers. I rush to get myself dressed and forgetting the cool of the early morning, I leave my jacket on the chair. As I approach the garden I see the frost has come, did I spare my garden? The blankets come off, many plants have been saved; I look and to my great amazement, the Carolina reapers have been spared they missed the reaper and they will miss the com-poster as well!

With shovel and pots in hand, time to recover what will become the winter greenhouse bounty. I find my plants standing strong; they too await their new destination. The greenhouse has been warmed; plants will soon fill the shelves. My first plunge into the cool damp earth with my shovel…kerplunk!  Remembering to leave plenty of room around the root ball, I work around the plant till I know it is ready to be lifted. Setting the shovel aside, I grab my pitchfork, working it underneath the huge mass of roots POP… up comes plant number one. Only fifty more to go,

I am filled with excitement no time to take breaks. One by one the plants exit their roots from the cool earth and make their way into the greenhouse. Filling each crevasse, space has become a premium, I readjust till all the plants are inside. Time  to harvest my cocoons of fire, peppers deep red dripping of heat, the smell of victory in the harvest is at hand, don’t touch my eyes or I may light my world. Trimming them back so they may rest and build strong roots, my plants will soon burst with new life, bushing out and giving me my winter bounty. My work is done for today, but tomorrow and into the winter I shall tend to my cocoons of fire as a father tends to his children
My night of great light had come; the hot pepper gave me my answer, now my reapers will be made ready for a winter harvest and is ready for many seasons to come! When in doubt check them out at “The hot pepper” Now to search recipes for my reapers, what shall i make?

My night of great light

By Tropical Mania

Extra, extra, read all about it! The hot pepper has come to a computer screen near you! Inside you will find all your hot pepper needs, from ghost peppers to Carolina reapers. From mild like Habanero, to burn you like Scorpion going in, and flame you like reapers going out. sauces, rubs, powders and pods they have it all. Be sure to check out the free zone for fun and exciting contests. you could be the next big winner.

Remember, unless you register you cannot win!

I would've entered but am expecting reaper seeds in the mail! But still want to show appreciation for your attempt to give back to the community.

Well actually I didn't enter because I wasn't eligible. I was planning on giving it a try anyway, though, but I didn't have time when I saw it.

Haha, well I guess I have no choice now! I won't do it right now though as I don't have much time, and I don't want to vomit a crap story in 2 minutes. Later tonight should be a perfect time for me ;)

Looking forward to it.
Wolf1888 said:
Haha, well I guess I have no choice now! I won't do it right now though as I don't have much time, and I don't want to vomit a crap story in 2 minutes. Later tonight should be a perfect time for me ;)

Lookng forward to it

Here is another one of mine:

MIKE AND CARLOS

“Do you have any of those big chewy rawhide strips for my little buddy Carlos?” Mike asked the store keeper.
“Chewing up the ole house again, is he?” Replied the man behind the counter.
“Yep, more baby teeth then brains, I’m afraid.”
“Chew toys, for days, over in the corner there bud.”
“So what’s the weather suppose to do this week end?” Mike asked
“They say keep the little ones inside temps in the 20s.”
“I guess I’d better stock up on those chewy sticks then or he’ll start chewing my shoes next.”
With the back of the rusted white VW van full of groceries, puppy stuff and fire wood Mike headed for home. This time of year made driving a bit tough for outsiders and even the locals had a tough time if they were caught unprepared. The pet store was not all that far away but Mike quickly found that the weather conditions were changing faster than he would have liked.
Nearly ten minutes from home the snow started to fall. Not just a couple flakes either.
The sky was nearly black, the temperature had dropped and the roads were getting icy.

Back home Carlos had found a really yummy black dress shoe and was gnawing on it with all he had. A small yellow puddle was in the middle of Mike’s living room floor, and bits and pieces of the daily news paper where scattered from the kitchen all the way to the back bathroom.

Mike was nearly home, just up the next hill and around the corner, but the roads were slick as could be. He had not put snow tires on the van yet this year and was hopping to be able to still get home. “Oops, slid right through that stop sign”, Mike said out loud as he crossed his fingers and prayed not to hit anything.

“Bark, bark, whimper, whimper”, Carlos had his head stuck in the shoe laces and could not get his head free. Dang my luck thought Carlos. This is the best tasting shoe I think I have ever had in my mouth and now it looks like I’ll have to wear it to the grave, whine whine whimper whimper. Carlos’ ears perked up just then as he heard the sound of the garage door open. His master was home! Awesome thought Carlos, Mike will be able to get me out of this mess Carlos thought. Just then Carlos put his paw to the shoe and it came off . Pop!
Racing to the back door Carlos was sent flying as the door opened and caught him by the hinney. “Oh, sorry bud didn’t know you were there, are you OK?” Mike asked as he came through the door. Setting his first load down on the kitchen counter Mike slowly scanned the room for any tell tale signs of puppy mischief. There were bits and pieces of news paper everywhere and the air had the tangy bitter sweet smell of fresh puppy pee. “Not again! When will you learn that the whole house is not your own personal potty Carlos?”
Carlos’ ears pointed up as he heard his name and with his tongue hanging out his mouth he came skidding around the corner and ran smack dab in to Mike’s right leg. “You sure know how to make a mess little one. If I give you a garbage bag do you think you could pick up this mess for me as I get the rest of these supplies out of the car?” Carlos just turned his head to the right and flashed his best doggie grin. “Nope, I thought not”
With all of the bags carefully stacked on the kitchen counter Mike and Carlos proceeded to tidy up the house. “Lets see know, what was it that that lady said in Cinderella? Oh yes BIPITY BOPITY BOO”
Yep, you guessed it, there was no puff of smoke there was no cute little helpful mice that appeared. Heck, there was not as much as a cool breeze. Mike was stuck with the mess and Carlos thought it was all just a big game. He nipped at Mikes heals and tried as he might he was not able to knock Mike over by running at him and head butting him at full speed.
Reaching into one of the bags Mike hefted out a very large beef leg bone that looked like it was from the set of the Flintstones and set it down near the fire place for Carlos to enjoy. Carlos seeing the size of his new treat jumped into the air three times and twisted him self around spazmatickly. “Oh boy, Oh boy, oh boy“, was the words coming from Carlos’ mouth (in the form of loud excited yips).
Off in the corner, behind the six foot rubber tree plant came a jealous gaze from Mike’s only other roommate. “Oh look at me, I just trashed the whole house and my master brings me home a bone the size of a red wood tree.” LABcat had been Mike’s only furry friend for 6 years (well, aside from the accident) and he felt it was him that should have been receiving gifts. LABcat had not peed all over the house. LABcat had not shredded the news paper and spread pieces of it all over the house. OK he was not all soft and cuddly anymore. Tests had fried his hair and made him look like he had been struck by lightning. No, he was not hit by lightning. Well not exactly anyway. Mike had spent countless hours trying to get lightning to strike the rod that he had sticking up out of the top of the house. It was designed to attract lightning that would power Mike’s lab. Trouble was that whenever Mike worked on it the weather was always calm. Yep, you guessed it; lightning does not come on calm days. Everyone knows that in order for lightning to strike you have to have a storm. LABcat did not know this, heck LABcat did not even care. What he did know was that Mike kept his catnip near the wiring for the lightning rod. You see, LABcat was being tested for the effects of catnip on your everyday house cat. LABcat, on that day, slipped past Mike in the lab and went right for the cat nip. That day, however, the sky was grey and the wind was blowing like crazy. A huge storm had been brewing all day and was right at that moment about to release a huge bolt of lightning. LABcat stepped right on the wire at the very second that the lightning hit the lightning rod. Snap, crackle, meow and LABcat was reduced to a nearly hairless ball of smoking kitty. Not enough electricity to kill him, but surely enough power to mess up his hair for a long while. Up until that day Mike had noted that cats love to eat cat nip and run like crazy around the house. LABcat, however, never again touched catnip.
Off in the corner near the fire Carlos was in seventh heaven. His mouth was barely big enough to do any damage to the huge bone that was now helping him sharpen his preteen doggie teeth to razor sharpness. Carlos was what most of us would call a mutt. He thought he was huge like his friend Frank at the pound (there was no mirror to see himself in at the pound). Frank was a Great Dane and was nearly full grown. Carlos, however, looked more like an average size wiener dog pup. He had a touch of Terrier in the mix that gave him grey hair that stuck out in every direction, but basically he looked like a wiener dog.
LABcat could not stand it any longer; he had to show this new little pup who was the boss in this house. “So do you really think you can tear up the house, pee all over the place and get a bone any time you feel like it?”, LABcat asked Carlos as he flipped his tail in Carlos’ direction and walked by. Carlos was really to busy to pay too much attention to LABcat, but did look up for a minute. “Yikes, what the heck happened to you? You look like you got hit with lightning or something.” This was not the way to make friends. The comment just made LABcat angrier with Carlos and all he could do was hiss and walk away. “Hmmmm, not much of a talker I guess”, thought Carlos as he chewed more on the bone.
Mike was busy unloading the bags from the van and putting away what needed to be put in the fridge. Milk , eggs, cheese, butter, the usual things that would keep him stocked up at least long enough to wait out the storm. Mike was glad to be home and safe with that storm whistling outside. Mike had taken care of Carlos for a while, but still needed to attend to LABcat. Reaching for the can opener he filled the house with LABcat’s favorite sound. Wrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeee was heard all the way across the house where LABcat had been sulking and out he came with his ears up and his tail held high. Like a possessed river rat LABcat shot out from behind the sofa and shot to the counter in seconds flat. “Well hello little one, hungry?”, asked Mike as LABcat appeared out of nowhere. Meow purr meow, was his only response. WOW what an ugly cat, thought Mike to himself.

I'll tell you this dream I had.

Okay, so, I wake up in the morning, doing my usual stuff, shower, breakfast, brush my teeth, get dressed, and go on the computer if I happen to have enough time to do so. This morning, I had, so I hopped on my chair, turned on my laptop, and started browsing THP. I've been craving superhots for quite a while, in sauces, dried spices, everything, for quite a while, so as I was not in a hurry, I started doing some shopping on THP for that kind of stuff. Though, as if money wasn't needed, I started buying just about everything I was seeing: Peppers, sauces, spices, I was getting them all! Fast forward to next week, transport trucks were lining up in front of my house to deliver the nomberous large boxes of product I had ordered that morning, tons of peppers and stuff, thousands and thousands of them! I was the happiest man in the world for a second, as I had all the spicy stuff I'd ever need in a lifetime! So I come back on my computer to post about it on THP for everybody to see, but what I see as soon as I open the website is a destroyed THP, members are deleting their accounts, the topics are on fire (literally), the pixels are falling off, we can hear police sirens all around, just as if there had been a riot on THP. It was absolute chaos. Pure post-apocalyptic chaos everywhere on forums. I wanted to know what all that was about, so I tried to log in, but, to my surprise, my account got banned. I got worried, so I came to see a moderator to know what all this is about, a little bit confused. I see one, tap him on the soulder, and start to ask my questions, but as soon as he recognises me, his face started to change, his face became red, he was really furious. He started screaming at me! What I understood in his angriness is that, when I bought all of the stuff here on THP, I made literally everything spicy become out of stock. Pepperlover, PexPeppers, Luckydog, etc, all sold out! But with the amount of people on here that need their spicy fix, some of them just couldn't get it all of a sudden, because of me. That drove the whole community crazy, and it seemed like they were ready to do the extreme to get spicy products.
Anyway, so with all the madness I was seeing, and knowing it was all my fault, that I was responsible for the complete destruction of THP, I closed my internet browser to hide all the chaos, and took a deep breath in silence in my living room. Though, as I was trying to regain calm in the silence, that silence started to fade away by some noise that came from far away. The sound started to get louder, and louder, and louder. It sounded like foot steps, but thousands of them, like an on foot army was approaching. I looked by the window, and what I saw gave me the chills. I could see, at about a miles away, a huge group of people walking. They were coming closer. As they started to approach, I was able to see better. They had huge signs in the air, torches, baseball bats, and there were many thousands of them, all rioting and screaming. As they got even closer, I started to realise they were all the THP members. They came for my spicy products! At that point, I didn't care, you guys could take all you want, I was scared as hell, I was shitting my pants double dose. But what happened when the THP members reached my house, they did not go for the delivery trucks that were parked in front of my house, they were comming for me directly! I recognised some of you guys, and I started talking to you, but it seems like the lack of spicyness in your life had driven you nuts, none of you were rational, you were just destroying everything in your way. When a bunch of you saw me, you guys started going after me, with torches and all that dangerous stuff! As a super-badass reflex, I took a huge box of Carolina reaper that had just arrived with the big delivery, grabbed a bunch of water guns (not the dolar store kind, more like the 100$ kind found in rich kid stores, the big ones that have lots of pressure), and mashed all of the Carolina reaper in my water guns. I had my weapons now. I though to myself that I'd go on my roof, and kind of try to resist all I could, zombie-apocalypse-style. Once I was up there, you guys started climbing on the exterior walls of my house to get to me. I took a deep breath, grabbed my water gun, and hoped that it was a good idea. I then started spraying my super hot carolina reaper mash at high pressures all over all of you, in the face, eyes, everything. Though, what happened next surprised me. I though the super hot mash would hurt you, that it would make you unable to do anything, roll up in a ball in pain, exactly how police grade pepper spray does, but instead it calmed down all of you. I then realised, my carolina reaper mash had just given you the spicy fix you wanted. The lack of spicy that drove you crazy-mad in the first place was fixed, so all of you guys started to act normal and started to realise what was happening. We all sat down, drank some beer, ate some of my spicy product as friends, had fun chilling, and at the end of the night we split with everybody all my spicy stuff so that everybody was happy. We then all offered volonteer community hours to rebuild THP from the huge mess that it had suffered. By the time this was all done, Judy from Pepperlover had time to grow more peppers to make sure everybody gets his share, because now we all know what happens when a hot pepper addict doesn't get his spicy dose, he gets crazy and destroys stuff. The end.

Back