• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

FreeportBum's kind of late but here is my first Glog.

Wanted to do this for a while but haven't found the time, So testing..... trying to post a pic if it works I have a bunch more.  Want to say thanks to jamie(romy6) for most of the super hot seeds.  Seeds started march 11, all plants except sweet cheese are in 10gal pots mixed with sunshine mix #4 and happy frog. 

This years growing list-
Yellow 7 pod
Congo trinidad
Chocolate naga morich
Yellow brain strain
Brain strain
Douglah
Trinidad scorpion(butch t's)- from my plants last year
Yellow sweet cheese
Long Cayenne- two varieties
and a couple other mystery plants

peppers2013_zpsa26fb9da.jpg

Devv said:
Devan, the mash looks great!

I'll have to try the Hickory with booze next time!
Thanks, I found if I don't wash the peppers I don't need to add any "starter" to get her rolling.  ;)

Ok morning update it was 33°F here when I woke up this morning  :censored:   Not sure how much longer the peppers will go but they haven't dropped any leaves yet. Here's a couple shots of my winter projects, First pic are my BBG7 plants- seeds started Aug 1st.  next picture is my Manzano seedlings that I pulled from a very tasty yellow manzano from prodigalson. Manzano seeds started Sept.3.  thanks for looking
manzano3.jpeg

manzano4.jpeg

It's good that you gave your Manzanos an early start... I tried for a couple of months to start from seed with no luck. Shane finally took pity on me and mailed me one of his extra seedlings. I only got about a dozen pods on the plant and they just started to ripen last week. They can take a light freeze, which is really helpful for such a long-season pepper this far north. Good luck with your starts!

Devv said:
Wow! Starting early!

Sorry about the 33, not fun when you still have goodies in the ground.
Only 39°F here this morning  :P   

WalkGood said:
Saw the red strip and was thinking MoA, lol, till I read the caption BBG7 plants and Manzano seedlings ... looking great mon!
MoA is still one I am hunting for Ramon, but I love a  "fatboy" red stripe in the summer. Good lager that I use in my pizza dough and bread making. All the best

stickman said:
It's good that you gave your Manzanos an early start... I tried for a couple of months to start from seed with no luck. Shane finally took pity on me and mailed me one of his extra seedlings. I only got about a dozen pods on the plant and they just started to ripen last week. They can take a light freeze, which is really helpful for such a long-season pepper this far north. Good luck with your starts!

Thanks Rick, if you need any seed I have some left from the same batch just let me know. I placed an order for a red and brown pube last night hopefully I can get them to germ.  :party:
romy6 said:
 Really great stuff going on Devon. You truly are a master of all things chili related. The harvest. mashes, and seedling look great. I too just started a manzano, red rocoto, and some bubblegum 7's. Great minds think alike. 

Keep your grow on brother man  :dance:
Thank you for the kind words Jamie. Looking forward to reading your glog over the winter my friend  :dance:

FreeportBum said:
… MoA is still one I am hunting for Ramon, but I love a  "fatboy" red stripe in the summer. … …
I use to love RS till lived in JA, what they keep behind isn’t as good as the exported product so the locals turned me on to locally produced and bottled JA Heineken made with rice VS corn mash and wow it’s great! AFAIK impossible to get outside the islands and I’m not sure what RS they use in the tourist areas but I tried to steer clear of those areas other than work. Drop me a pm if you are in need of MoA seed …

Plants look good. The pubes do well with flourescent lights. I am not sure what size your growing area is,but you can prune back the limbs and roots to keep the plants under control. Alternate natural light and flouro light and they will fruit for you indoors. Remember,they may take time to get fruit,but they grow just as fast as chinense and the others. They will hog up some space with lanky limbs.

WalkGood said:
I use to love RS till lived in JA, what they keep behind isn’t as good as the exported product so the locals turned me on to locally produced and bottled JA Heineken made with rice VS corn mash and wow it’s great! AFAIK impossible to get outside the islands and I’m not sure what RS they use in the tourist areas but I tried to steer clear of those areas other than work. Drop me a pm if you are in need of MoA seed …
Appreciate the offer Ramon. All the best

Pr0digal_son said:
Plants look good. The pubes do well with flourescent lights. I am not sure what size your growing area is,but you can prune back the limbs and roots to keep the plants under control. Alternate natural light and flouro light and they will fruit for you indoors. Remember,they may take time to get fruit,but they grow just as fast as chinense and the others. They will hog up some space with lanky limbs.
Thank you. So far I have had them under T5's, but I am re-potting two of them today to put into my sun room for the winter.  I will leave them under T5's for another few weeks. Stays between 60-65°F in there over winter, think they will be ok? 

Harvest from this morning 
choco2_zpsa26c8c48.jpg

Chocolate Naga's 
choco3_zps820bcce0.jpg

Yellow Brain plant that I brought inside about a month ago to overwinter- you can still see some hail damage- but it has been re-potted and putting out new growth and flowers  :dance:
choco5_zpsa30b968f.jpg

Manzano's getting re-potted today, keeping two and giving two to a friend. 
manzanopeppers_zps307d178f.jpg

FreeportBum said:

Thanks Rick, if you need any seed I have some left from the same batch just let me know. I placed an order for a red and brown pube last night hopefully I can get them to germ.  :party:

Thanks for the offer Devan, but I'm gonna try to OW the one I grew outside this season. I saved the seeds from the ones I pulled too, so I'm set.

It got really busy through the end of September and early October so I haven't been keeping up on everybody's glog... just playing "ketchup" as time permits. Are the plants pictured the only ones you're gonna over-winter? Manzano seedlings look A-1... I think you'll like them when they pod up for you next year. I'll be trying to OW 4 of mine for the first time this winter, and one of them is a Manzano... They're all excellent varieties, but that's the one I most hope survives to plant-out. Cheers!

Back