• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fresh Bat Poop?!

Scoville DeVille said:
How did this go from Bat Guano to "cats are horrid creatures"?

I love my two cats BTW.

It's all about the poo...

House pets were considered unsanitary (if such a term can be used) since ancient times. (it's even forbidden in the Old Testament - one of the few things in that fairy tale that is relevant)  I have no problem with you loving your cats.  I consider that your issue, not mine. :D

ed5721f15bdcc0bd63905dae5f44c9ce.jpg

Student of Spice said:
http://www.cdc.gov/features/bats/

He is not crazy with his thinking, a n95 mask would not hurt especially when harvesting the guano and an increased risk for it becoming airborne. There is mysophobia then there is weighing risk v reward and taking intelligent precautions. I would wear a mask if I chose to gather bat guano, but I chose to minimize unnecessary risks. Just like wearing a helmet when riding a bike, not being educated on and not eating wild mushrooms, or looking both ways when I cross the street, you wouldn't have to.....but eventually you will get hit by a bus :cheers:

No gloves, but I was very careful to stay clear of the small dust plume, and even brought a bottle of rubbing alcohol and towel to decontaminate my poop-scooping hand (and the scooper) immediately upon returning to the car. 

When not mining bat poo, I spend my summer evenings standing out in the open a mile or three from active thunderstorms.  With a few decades left on the clock, the vastly-increased-but-still-low risk is acceptable since I vastly enjoy storm watching and photography.  FWIW, I DO wear a MC helmet 99% of the time, and am as far as is possible from the typical screaming adrenaline junkie extrovert.

You guys are brave compared to the FB crowd!  When I posted this on the local garden page, the overwhelming response was one of fear.  Our whole society has become so pathetically risk-averse....  :/  

My uncle collected some guano for me from the roof of a church he was repairing.  Apparently there is a ton of it.  I went ahead and spread it into my worm farms! 

Geonerd said:
This stuff is GREAT.

A few weeks after fertilizing, my plants are greener and look healthier than I've ever seen.  None of the chemical ferts and fert mixes I've tried can touch this... shit.   ;)
I have a few bats  in the eaves of the house, plenty of guano to collect, think I better get on it.

Just got back from the first 'mining' expedition of the year with nearly two gallons (dry volume, thank god!) of the stuff.   :)

I'll be switching over ASAP from the fish emulsion I've been using this season.  Fish soup works but, as I've 'discovered,' it is entirely possible to over-use it. About half my plants are stunted, presumably from the salt contained in the fish fert.   :(   Don't use the stuff on un-drained seedlings!

Here's hoping the Bat Poop can once again perform miracles.

An article on the little dudes:  https://uanews.arizona.edu/story/education-research-needed-to-protect-tucson-bats-scientists-say

Geonerd said:
Just got back from the first 'mining' expedition of the year with nearly two gallons (dry volume, thank god!) of the stuff.   :)

I'll be switching over ASAP from the fish emulsion I've been using this season.  Fish soup works but, as I've 'discovered,' it it entirely possible to over-use it. About half my plants are stunted, presumably from the salt contained in the fish fert.   :(   Don't use the stuff on un-drained seedlings!

Here's hoping the Bat Poop can once again perform miracles.

An article on the little dudes:  https://uanews.arizona.edu/story/education-research-needed-to-protect-tucson-bats-scientists-say

That's awesome that you can forage a resource like this
Guano is outrageously expensive over here

Are you going to compost it?

No composting - just dump a tablespoon or two on the surface and water it in.  It dissolves well and seems to "just work" as-is.

Geonerd said:
No composting - just dump a tablespoon or two on the surface and water it in.  It dissolves well and seems to "just work" as-is.

Yeah, bat poop is super fast acting... It doesn't take much, but it does require a little more frequent application.

Back