• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Fresh Bird Peppers - What Should I do

Grew 1 plant of these chiles this year. It was in a smaller pot so it did not produce as well as it could I reckon. I dont think there is enough to dry, but enough to make one or two dishes of something good.... but what? What should I do THP?

Should I put them in a Salsa?
In a BBQ sauce? Hot Sauce?
Should I eat them in a tree? By the lake? In a van down by the river?
Should I boil them? Mash them? Stickem in a stew?

What should I do?

IMAG0391.jpg

IMAG0392.jpg

If a suggestion is compelling enough to use, I will ablige with some dried pods, seeds, powder, or a rub if that suits your fancy.

I was compelled to post the Youtube video What Should I do? mocking brett favre. But I am new here and not quite privy to where inappropriate videos are appropriate. ;-)

If I were u.... I'd freeze a giant bag of them, take a small handful and throw 'em in some foil along with a few cloves of garlic, baby carrots, sweet onion, and roast them in there for a while. Then, I'd throw it all in the blender along with some cooked roma tomatoes and sea salt. I wouldn't measure anything because like an artist, your instinct works best when you just jump right in. Then, I'd go get a rotisserie chicken and some homemade corn tortillas from the taqueria down the street from me (cuz i'm lazy like that) and I'd put it on top of shredded chicken tacos with cilantro, avocado slices, and lime. food of the Gods.... Can you tell i'm hungry and haven't had lunch yet....

thanks Doc. Sounds apprapo for this type of chile. Might substitute shredded beer butt chicken and put it in Quesadillas!

Took some time last weekend to work with these peppers a little more. DocB got my culinary wheels churning.

I picked up some fresh local swordfish from a local fish monger. Decided I would grill and baste.

The baste is:
Lemon Juice
Orange Juice
Blackberry Honey
Garlic
5 Peppercorn Blend (Sezchuan, Black, Green, Red, Pink)
Fresh Chives
Bird Peppers

IMAG0405.jpg

I was originally going to grind it down with a mortar, but the few Bear Republic Red Rocket Ales made me forget to muddle before adding fluid. Blasted, so off to the blender you go.

IMAG0406.jpg

I added a chunk of butter to the baste and cooked the swordfish over charcoal at a lower temperature, basting often. Fish turned out awesome, but not quite enough bird pepper to satisfy heat level. Had a sudtle flavor from the chile. Could have cooked off or just needed a few more berries. Still can't complaint eating fresh local swordfish. Sweet and Moist.

IMAG0408.jpg

I could not leave it at that after what DocB suggested. So one of Sundays many culinary adventures was the following dish that would use more Bird Pepper.

IMAG0428.jpg

This is half of a Split Chicken on a Bed of Diced Red Potatoes breast down, topped with sliced onion, sliced garlic, sliced yellow ceyenne, sliced chocolate Habanero, and a healthy dose of bird pepper berries (for some reason I keep calling them berries, they kinda look like it so...). I was going to put this in a foil grilling bag that I had but we could not find them. Undettered, I made my own foil bag. Wrapped it up nice and tight and tossed it on the charcoal grill for several turns over medium/low heat.

This looks like a garbled mess. Participants had already started attacking.
IMAG0436.jpg

Chicken turned out moist and fall off the bone tender. Just about anything in there was very hot but with great flavor. I think the tater's absorbed most of the heat. I thought this was a good way to incorporate the bird peppers though without cooking it out. It was really good for leftovers too. Shredded the chicken and peppers, added some applewood smoked bacon, and made some quesidillas with them. Not as hot but still very good. Potatoes were best leftover and still warm in flavor. Wish I would have placed the chicken breast up.

IMAG0441.jpg

IMAG0442.jpg

So thanks DocB. Your idea gave birth ;) Shoot me a PM with your address and I will send you some stuff.

Back